Thread: Herman Yau's The Legend is Born: Ip Man

Ok, so chronologically speaking, we have:

The Legend is born
    Ip Man
    Ip man 2

right?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sure, but Legend stands outside the other Ip Man franchise

Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen did IM1 & 2. This film is independent, but it stars several of the same actors like Sammo Hung - different director, different production company. There's no reason why it couldn't overlap with the other films.

At what time in Ip Man's life does Legend end, vatesi?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A panning review

The Legend is Born: Ip Man

Now that the people in the Hongkong film industry know that they can cash in on the revival of martial art films, especially the Ip Man instalments, they decided to do a prequel.

While the idea is good, its execution is another thing. The Legend is Born: Ip Man is a failure and a huge disappointment to all Ip Man fans.

This is a semi-biographical account, concentrating on Ip Man (To)’s childhood and teenage years. Ip Man is the first martial arts master to teach the Chinese martial arts known as Wing Chun.

If you expect it to be a film of him training people and showing off his skills, you are wrong.

A melodramatic sub-plot highlighting Ip Man’s romance with Cheung Wing Shing (Huang Yi) takes up a huge chunk of the movie. Needles to say, the awkward teenage love drama suddenly becomes the whole point of the film.

The scriptwriter, Erica Lee, also added a fictional character, Ip Tin-Chi (Fan), as an adopted brother of Ip Man into the story.

I would say that this film is an insult to the real master, Ip Man, himself.

The script is utterly stupid – this is what happens when you let someone who wrote films like My Mother is a Belly Dancer to write for an action film.

The direction by Yau is just as bad. His past film credits include teeny-bopper romance comedy Love at First Note and the not-so-funny slapstick comedy All’s Well Ends Well 2010.

While the choreography is quite good (but nothing compared to the real Ip Man series), the director’s skills are simply not good enough to capture the beauty of Wing Chun.

Acting wise, Fan and Biao did quite well in their respective roles but To, who is making his debut as an actor, was so bland I would think Donnie Yen (who played Ip Man in the film series) might feel embarrassed that this man who resembles him can hardly act at all.

The Legend is Born: Ip Man does have its moments, especially in the fighting scenes (when nobody is talking or acting).

But fans of Ip Man should stay away as it may ruin their impression of the grand master. – Chan Soo Wah

Updated: 09:56AM Fri, 02 Jul 2010
    I've never seen My Mother is a Belly Dancer. Has anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

as expected. had 0 hope or expectation for this film. wasnt tracking it or planning to see it. just seemed like a weak attempt to cash in on the whole ip man craze.

So let me get this right ..... according to the review a movie that actually tries to tell the real life story of Yip Man can ruin people perception about Yip Man, while movie that is mostly made up (Yip Man I) wouldn't ......

i doubt it was trying to do that. i think wong kar wai's version will be more biographical then these films.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i doubt it was trying to do that. i think wong kar wai's version will be more biographical then these films.
    Ok haven't realized there were 3 diffrent movies coming out by 3 different directorors. .. I thought this was wong kar wai's version.........still I watched it yesterday it had more true to it than first Yip Man and fighting isn't bad either.....

Dont get me wrong I like Yip Man movies , but would like a bit more of his real life told.

The Legend is Born: Ip Man

Saw this movie a couple weeks ago, didn't have high hopes for it initially, but really liked it. It's too bad Ip Man came out before this one. A few of my students liked this one better than the first Ip Man. I'm not so sure, but know I liked it better than Ip Man 2. I didn't see much marketing of this one though. I don't even think there's a website in English for it even though the DVD has good English subtitles http://dragonstore.myshopify.com/pro...is-born-ip-man. What's up with that?

For entertainment value, it was fine.

Ip Chun stars as Leung Bik, and it is interesting to see his interpretation is that he taught the young Ip Man "high kicks" and "throwing methods", and then he was branded a "traitor" when he goes back to Futshan, for studying "outside" the system, as a semi-biographical sub-plot.

That part was stupid, and made no sense to me.

The rest of the plot of Japanese adopted brother, Si Mui in love with Ip Man and the ending was your typical martial arts movie.

Sammo Hung and Yuen Biu certainly got a lot of mileage of old choreographed routines which I saw back in the late 70's and throughout the '80's.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ok, so chronologically speaking, we have:

The Legend is born
    Ip Man
    Ip man 2

right?

Yup, that's the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Ip Chun stars as Leung Bik, and it is interesting to see his interpretation is that he taught the young Ip Man "high kicks" and "throwing methods", and then he was branded a "traitor" when he goes back to Futshan, for studying "outside" the system, as a semi-biographical sub-plot.

That part was stupid, and made no sense to me.
    Hey Sifu Chu,

In thinking of what really happened, have you found any historical evidence of how Yip Man's Wing Chun changed after studying he studied with Leung Bik?

Its largely conjecture that Ip Man had studied with Leung Bik at all.

And if Leung Bik was smaller than Chan Wah Shun, why would he use high kicks and throwing?

I would speculate (guess) that if Ip Man did really meet Leung Bik, Leung would have taught him to use his body more efficiently to control the center of gravity, and then be able to throw and/or kick or strike at will. And also, his Si Hing would not brand Ip Man a traitor because he studied with his Si Bak (elder martial arts uncle), and it is in keeping within the family. All of it makes no sense in the movie.

Lastly, if someone studies outside of the family and uses the skills to show the family they are lacking in certain skills, it would make sense to the family to grow and develop counters or adopt the skill which defeated them. Chinese have been open minded about this for centuries.

i seen both. I got a copy of all three yip man movies...

The second one is cool but i hate how the white boxer from america kills sammo hung the hung gar fighter. But i like the scene in the second one when donnie yen whips the praying mantis fighter...

oh its interesting how donnie yen in the second ip man movie takes a beating against the big tall white boxer but manages to not get killed and wins. I mean to me the second yip man is anti american or white, the first and third one is anti japanese...they portray the foriegners as arrogant and evil.

the third one is really interesting it shows yip man as child an his father brings him to learn from chan wah who is played by sammo hung...an when sammo dies then his top students takes over an teaches...This guy is yip man teacher in the movie...But then yip man goes to hong kong as teenager an learns some techniques from leung bik like a high kick and some grappling techniques against the japanese jiujitsu...Its pretty cool. But then his teacher flips starts beating him talking about leung bik is a disgrace and his wc is not real wc...its fantasy wing chun something he got from other styles and also some of the moves he made up...an then the age old rivarlies come out...

But at the end it says that it doesn't matter who taught you the wing chun if it works and its effective its wc...the innovations or changes your teacher added doesn't matter or what you added doesn't matter as long as it works for you...in the end it states we are all one family...

Yip Man teacher reminds of how terrence niehoff talks about robert lee mcfield wing chun and eddie mau wing chun being fantasy, made up and fake!

anyway i got all three dvds they pretty good...ooh an the yip man friend in the school turns out to be a japanese spy who marries a chinese girl an later betrays yip man and the school...They had some great fight scenes.

The fight scene with the japs, yip mans friend, yip man teacher, thugs in the street, and leung bik and even the white guys in hong kong was pretty good. I thought it was donnie yen at first too...but its not unfortuntaely....

Has anyone else seen yip man two and three yet too?

Some of the techniques the movie said leung bik taught yip man

-Low elbow strikes
    -high kicks
    -throws
    -joint locks
    -bil bee or darting fingers

yip man sifu in the movie complains about the elbow being so low an wc not having high kicks...So leung bik taught you crap cuss it aint real wc!
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 11-16-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add addtional info
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Theatrical release?

The S.F. Chron listed Ip Man Zero: The Legend is Born as opening this weekend. I heard Funimation planned to release it theatrically in the U.S. but couldn't confirm a theater outlet in our area or on the web.

Here's Funimation's Ip Man Zero website.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Rose Chan scandal

Not sure if you've all been following this in the wake of this film.

Rose Chan recounts Joe Ma, Benny Chan's drunken attack, goes to police
    Posted: 22 November 2011 2052 hrs

HONG KONG: Hong Kong actress Rose Chan held a press conference in Hong Kong on Tuesday to speak about the recent paparazzi photographs that showed actors Joe Ma and Benny Chan hugging and kissing her against her will, reported Hong Kong media.

The actress, who only recently turned 19, had earlier confirmed that Ma and Benny Chan had hugged and kissed her when they got drunk during a group outing in China recently, but did not give details until she addressed the media at the press conference.

"After the incident, I have been very upset.

"My family, my martial arts instructor (who was working with her on a new film) and my manager, along with everyone in my management company have been unhappy," said Rose Chan, who wore no makeup and looked pale and dishevelled during the press conference.

The actress expressed that she went out with Ma, Benny Chan and a few others at Timmy Hung's (Sammo Hung's eldest son) invitation when they were all in Hengdian, China for work.

"Because I trusted him (Timmy Hung), I went with out with them.

"Before Timmy Hung got drunk, everything was fine, but after he got drunk, the incident happened," explained Rose Chan.

"The seniors who always treated me like a little sister, it is as though they had become different people."

"I was really scared at the time and found it unthinkable," said the actress, her eyes damp with tears.

Rose Chan went on to stress that she did not drink a drop of alcohol that evening.

She said things happened too suddenly, so she "could not react in time" to fight off Ma and Benny Chan, even though she is well-versed in martial arts.

The actress added that she did not pursue the matter then as she was a "stranger who did not know the lay of the land" in China.

However, when asked about where she was touched and why there were some photos of her smiling during the group outing, Rose Chan's lawyer stepped in and said she could not answer the question as it might impact the police case.

After the press conference ended, the actress made her way to the Kwun Tung Police Station to lodge a police complaint about the incident.

It was chaos as almost 50 reporters trailed Rose Chan to the police station, causing traffic jams in the area.
    Benny Chan apologises for harassing Rose Chan, vows to give up drinking
    Posted: 24 November 2011 2057 hrs

HONG KONG: Hong Kong actor Benny Chan held a press conference in Hong Kong on Thursday, to apologise for forcibly hugging and kissing actress Rose Chan, after having too much to drink during a recent group outing in Hengdian, China, reported Hong Kong media.

"Regarding the unpleasant incident that happened last week in Hengdian, I sincerely apologise to her (Rose Chan)," said Benny Chan before bowing deeply in apology.

"I admit that I drank too much that day, went overboard and unintentionally, unconsciously, did some impolite things to Rose. I admit I am really wrong."

"I regret my drunken actions which have hurt and disappointed a lot of people, especially my wife. She is preparing to be hospitalised to have a baby but was worried and upset [by this event], as were my fans," said the actor, who became emotional and wept bitterly.

"I thank my wife for her trust and support. I will turn over a new leaf to be a husband and a father who is willing to take responsibility and repent.

"I promise everyone that I will try hard to give up drinking, remember this lesson and constantly reflect on my actions. I hope Rose can accept my apology," said Benny Chan, who was accompanied by his wife, former model Lisa Jiang, at the press conference.

Both Benny Chan and his wife wept intermittently throughout the event.

Jiang spoke up in support of her husband despite her tears.

"Hopefully, everyone will give Benny a chance. He has really done wrong. He apologised to me and my baby and promised to work hard, give up drinking.

"I also hope Rose Chan can forgive him," said Jiang at the end of the ten-minute press conference.

Benny Chan was still weeping when assistants led him and his wife out of the venue, amidst constant camera flashes from the small army of photographers that attended the press event.

The story so far

Benny Chan's actions first came to light after paparazzi photos of him and Joe Ma becoming too touchy feely with 19-year-old actress Rose Chan, while intoxicated during a group outing in China, were published in Hong Kong tabloids recently.

Rose Chan held a press conference on Tuesday to address the matter and lodged a police complaint about the incident soon after.

She returned to Hengdian, China, to resume filming for her new movie after going to the police.

Ma had since insisted that he did not behave inappropriately toward Rose Chan and would take legal action against certain media outlets for inaccurate reporting and for publishing personal attacks against him.

Even as Hong Kong celebrities like Simon Yam and Eric Tsang criticise Benny Chan and Joe Ma over the incident, sceptics questioned if Rose Chan had set the whole thing up to gain publicity.

They point out that is highly uncommon for Hong Kong paparazzi to operate in Hengdian, yet it was the Hong Kong paparazzi who were present when the incident occurred and snapped the ****ing photos.
    Triads get involved in Rose Chan's sexual harassment scandal
    The Star/Asia News Network
    Monday, Dec 05, 2011

Sin Chew Daily reported that the sexual harassment scandal involving Hong Kong actress Rose Chan and two senior actors had escalated.

It was reported that the triads had issued a "licence to kill" against the star's Wing Chun sifu-cum-manager Master Sin Kwok Lam, who acted as her spokesman after she complained of being sexually harassed.

Police, who got wind of the assassination attempt, arrested four people and seized three toy guns.

Since then, Master Sin had started "lying low", declining to speak to reporters and would only reply to text messages.

The Legend is BornIp Man actress, 19, was forcefully kissed and molested by Hong Kong actors Joe Ma and Benny Chan during a supper gathering in China last month.

Separate police reports have been lodged in Hong Kong and China over the incident.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips