Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sooo...perhaps boxing and wing chun aren't so different after all?

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    What about the VT whipping punch? It is not a hook but it's also not straight...
    Point me to a clip of what you are calling the whipping punch.

Any round punch Boxer's normally call hooks no?
    Hooks are not round punches. They are straight punches. A round punch would be a haymaker or bolo punch.

And regardless of how you throw a hook a Boxer would never say that's not Boxing right?
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 05-10-2010 at 07:55 AM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Also, you can not put your full potential behind a hook. I have found that I can throw a punch from the chamber and issue as great a force as I can from a wind up, and with far greater accuracy, and far less chance of injuring myself in the process.
    HUH??
    don't know what kinda hook your throwing, but most hooks i've seen are "full potential" and very powerful.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

What about the VT whipping punch? It is not a hook but it's also not straight...

Any round punch Boxer's normally call hooks no? And regardless of how you throw a hook a Boxer would never say that's not Boxing right?
    Not exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JISgLclfX3c

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Notice how that strike is differentiated from a hook. It is a casting strike and another example of a spherical punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Striking from the ground is even further away from WC than what you see with most standing striking.
    True..

Actually I meant to make power from the ground, from their legs, from their bodies, as opposed to arm punching and without ground/body connection.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Okay a casting punch but what's the point wrt my post?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Point me to a clip of what you are calling the whipping punch.
    I'll look..

The idea as I understand it for the WP is mainly this..

Think of a plain vanilla VT vertical fist punch fired straight with forward body power..

Now think of that vertical punch as a more "sitting punch" where you turn/rotate the body from the hips and or the legs, making the original straight punch now curve.. The path can vary but may often start out more or less straight then suddenly curve and whip around.. Impact area of fist is the same.

Others may have different interpretations..
    Last edited by YungChun; 05-10-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    Hooks are not round punches. They are straight punches. A round punch would be a haymaker or bolo punch.
    Good point. I was wondering when that would come up. Hooks are considered to be straight punches that come from a side angle. With the tight hooks it's very easy to see that. The longer range hooks not so much because again they're thrown differently.

But that's trying to separate straws. In general if the punch is not going from point a to point b in a straight line I think it can be safe to say it's curved. I mean it's like The difference between an "L" and a "C" or connecting plotted lines on a graph...you can do it with a curved line or two straight lines, but either way it's an indirect path.

Ironically, I was taught the hook using the term "a tight c". C's are definitely not "L's"!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

True..

Actually I meant to make power from the ground, from their legs, from their bodies, as opposed to arm punching and without ground/body connection.
    Personally, I would like to see more of that in WCK. That's rare!

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I second that, Sifu Chu.

Too many "Wing Chun" clips show the unrooted exponents throwing strikes that use the upper body for power generation. What makes the situation worse is that some of these people are referred to as "sifus".

IMHO, one of the first, if not the first, task of any Wing Chun student is to learn the proper stance/roots and the whole body connection/unity. Otherwise, like my sifu says, "You can train for many years, but without them (proper root/body unity) you have nothing"!
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 05-10-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I'd like to think it's not THAT rare. All the guys I train wih have proper transfer from the ground. It's most of the YouTube clips of individuals who feel that have to "show" their skills that generally have the least amount of it. Especially since the motivation for such videos is typically for self image affirmation.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I'd like to think it's not THAT rare. All the guys I train wih have proper transfer from the ground. It's most of the YouTube clips of individuals who feel that have to "show" their skills that generally have the least amount of it. Especially since the motivation for such videos is typically for self image affirmation.
    ***Excellent points.

Interestingly, that was one of the first techniques taught in the mantis I did. With pretty much the same reasoning and finish.

As to what this has to do with the original point...

Well stuff that works, works.

Stuff that works, is fairly universal.

As such, stuff that works doesn't need a label.

People that tend to be worried about labels, are usually those least interested in fighting (and more about personal recognition). Not once in MMA have I heard anyone ask where something comes from. All they have cared about is if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I'd like to think it's not THAT rare. All the guys I train wih have proper transfer from the ground.
    I agree. Not sure why this would be considered rare - punching with the whole body should be WC punching mechanics 101. Ok, maybe 201.

101 would teach how to set up the triangles for the arm position, 201 would teach how to connect it to the rest of the body. This is something pretty much taught at the beginner level where I train..
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Haha! I just checked out your signature link! Talk about confused...