Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Full Contact Fights

IMO people who train Wing Chun and look at full contact tend to be in two camps. The first wants to get in the ring and have a tear up from the day they start training and the second has no initial interest but reaches a point in their training when they want to really test what they do beyond their usual class stuff. Unfortunately every clip that I've ever seen of supposed WC fighters in full contact is of the former group. Whilst these guys might train well when it gets pressurised everything goes out the window and they resort to poor grappling or swinging for the fences. The folks in the second group tend to look for increasing reality with training partners in private, work out what they need to refine and then realise that they no longer have a desire to get into a ring.
    To prove the point, take a set of pads along to training and get beginners to hit them and see how many maintain strict form.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Not asking them to fight like a boxer, but to show the strengths and ideas of the system. Boxers can do it, BJJ guys can do it, Wing Chun guys can't?
    Apparently not in the way you are expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    LOL, good post Phil.

Last week at grappling class I was flat on my belly with both arms around my opponents leg and him laying on top of me. Someone yells from the sidelines "Get on your up on your knees". I'm thinking "no sh1t". If I could without giving up the leg I would have.

Most things in life are easier said then done.
    Hopefully I'll see you Tues.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    Apparently not in the way you are expecting.
    So are you saying it can't be done or it won't ever be done? Cause Alan Orr's guys make great use of WC concepts in the ring.

I was referring to what you seem to look for in a sparring video as a measure of good Ving Tsun:

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    ...can take the opponent's movement to his advantage... counter and control...Lop Sao, Pak Sao, Bong Sao, Gan Sao, Jut Sao, Biu Sao, etc. etc., Its Chi Sao, Its Chi Gerk...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    I was referring to what you seem to look for in a sparring video as a measure of good Ving Tsun:

I agree with you there. WC doesn't have the same student base as boxing or MMA, most schools don't even think about competing or fighting.

It may be a newer development, as skill comparison matches were quite common in China in the old days.

Redmond is spot on with his assessment of watching a fight from a distance, versus actually being in the fight you're critiquing.

As an addition, you should be studying not only the videos of others, but yourself in action. (and given his line of thought, I can imagine Redmond does just that)

Agree 100% that today most of WC teachers try to teach a fighting art without the experience of realistic fighting training or fight experince. Chi Sau is not ever 5% of fight scenario.

I found this clip. Even though Joe lost I give him props for getting into the ring.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOBMEVrxoaE
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Random you tube searching by me...WSL VT in a match ... Same guy in blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW41i...el_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxA5G...feature=relmfu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I found this clip. Even though Joe lost I give him props for getting into the ring.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOBMEVrxoaE
    Agreed. His opponent had a tigh defense and what seemed to be pretty strong strikes. Joe Saya's form didn't look bad, but maybe he could have trained for more speed & power?

I'm not sure if I already posted this clip but here is a WC fighter from the Moy Yat lineage in Philly fighting a TKD guy. ALL the WC people cheered him on regardless of lineage. Too bad all WC can't support each other like we do at the Manup Standup fights.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJHdEYGBe2k
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

nice clip Phil. Not sure what the comp rules were or the length of time that the WC fighter had trained for. Fair play to him just for being in there.
    As hopefully helpful observations, he seemed reluctant to close range and as a consequence made life far harder for himself and also didn't use his own kicks to disrupt the flow of the TKD guy and bridge the range.
    Nice to see someone using WC rather than resorting to brawling as usually happens so again he deserves alot of credit.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    nice clip Phil. Not sure what the comp rules were or the length of time that the WC fighter had trained for. Fair play to him just for being in there.
    As hopefully helpful observations, he seemed reluctant to close range and as a consequence made life far harder for himself and also didn't use his own kicks to disrupt the flow of the TKD guy and bridge the range.
    Nice to see someone using WC rather than resorting to brawling as usually happens so again he deserves alot of credit.
    I give him props for getting into the ring with that TKD guy. This isn't a "WC" guy fighting the TKD guy but here's why he may have been a little reluctant to to close after seeing this fight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ_tTAAxY_s
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr