Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun/ Ving Tsun/ etc Lineage

Wing Chun/ Ving Tsun/ etc Lineage

I was curious since I am new to this forum, would the people who practice Wing Chun or however you spell it mind letting me know what Lineage you are from or who you learn it from? I am asking only to try and understand what lineage the majority of the people outside of Hong Kong is under. This is not a thread for Lineage politics or anything, it is purely out of curiosity. If someone feels offended about this, I apologize in advance. You can even PM if you don't want this out in the open. I for myself is under WSL lineage. I started learning from Sifu Wong Shung Leung and is now training under my Sihing Cliff Au Yeung.

Quote Originally Posted by wkmark View Post
    I was curious since I am new to this forum, would the people who practice Wing Chun or however you spell it mind letting me know what Lineage you are from or who you learn it from? I am asking only to try and understand what lineage the majority of the people outside of Hong Kong is under. This is not a thread for Lineage politics or anything, it is purely out of curiosity. If someone feels offended about this, I apologize in advance. You can even PM if you don't want this out in the open. I for myself is under WSL lineage. I started learning from Sifu Wong Shung Leung and is now training under my Sihing Cliff Au Yeung.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi wkmark-
    good wishes..if people have a good wsl teacher that is great and I know who Cliff Au Yeung is.
    I don't pay much attention to most of the stuff on this forum- too many folks just like to hear themselves chatter. But in the spirit of your question- Augustine Fong is my wing chun sifu and my sigung is Ho Kam Ming.I live and teach in Tempe, Arizona, USA.

joy chaudhuri

Greetings. I'm pretty new here too and don't post much. I train in the Leung Sheung lineage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi wkmark-
    good wishes..if people have a good wsl teacher that is great and I know who Cliff Au Yeung is.
    I don't pay much attention to most of the stuff on this forum- too many folks just like to hear themselves chatter. But in the spirit of your question- Augustine Fong is my wing chun sifu and my sigung is Ho Kam Ming.I live and teach in Tempe, Arizona, USA.

joy chaudhuri
    Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow aster View Post
    Greetings. I'm pretty new here too and don't post much. I train in the Leung Sheung lineage.
    Thank you for your reply. I have heard of the name Leung Sheung, but I am not familiar with his stories or his background. Nevertheless the name is well known.

I was curious since I am new to this forum, would the people who practice Wing Chun or however you spell it mind letting me know what Lineage you are from or who you learn it from?.
    In the spirit of welcoming you to the madhouse I am of the Lee Shing Family, learning from Joseph Man in London (Jun Mo School)

Ip Man -> Lee Shing -> Joseph Man -> me
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 05-12-2010 at 05:22 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Original Lineage: Yip Man, Moy Yat, Sunny Tang (Dunn Wah), Joseph Boychuk, Dave Harris, me

I write "original lineage" because I've broken away, as many folks have, from the usual way of doing things. That way if someone says, "That's not Moy Yat family Ving Tsun," they'll be right!

Best,
    K
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Thank you for your reply. I have heard of the name Leung Sheung, but I am not familiar with his stories or his background. Nevertheless the name is well known.
    OMG!
    Is the level of knowledge in HK so low that the names of Leung Sheung & Lok Yiu are UNKNOWN?
    For your information (you should verify it with your teacher and other WC elders, e.g. Tsui Sheung Tin), Leung Sheung and Lok Yiu were there long before Wong Shun Leung showed up on Yip Man's doorsteps.
    This article may be helpful:
    http://www.vingtsun.org.hk/ipmantongfeel.htm

Ip Man -> IP CHING -> Matt Johnson -> Me

Yip Man - V Kan\
    ....................... me
    WSL - P Bayer /

Hello,

FWIW

Yip Man>Ho Kam Ming>Augustine Fong>Roy Undem>Me

Yip Man>Leung Ting>Keith Kernsprecht/Allan Fong>Me

Yip Man>Leung Sheung>Nq Wah Sum>Chong Kwok Chow>Me

I have been fortunate to train with some others of different lineages but only claim those I was formally associated with. Currently I am with Sifu Chow of NYC although I now live in Georgia.

In addition to the Wing Chun I have also trained in Pekiti Tirsia and am currently exploring American Kunto Silat.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Yip Man - William Cheung-------- me (1983 - present)

Yip Man - Moy Yat-------------- me (1975 - 1983)

wsl- barry lee- bill dowding- me. I get to train with all barry's top guys. Also got to go to hong kong and train with your teacher, a really great guy with heaps to teach. Have train with people in hong kong and china and other wsl guys but ill always call bill my teacher. He is in china teaching now and he goes to see cliff sometimes so you might have meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by dfl View Post
    OMG!
    Is the level of knowledge in HK so low that the names of Leung Sheung & Lok Yiu are UNKNOWN?
    For your information (you should verify it with your teacher and other WC elders, e.g. Tsui Sheung Tin), Leung Sheung and Lok Yiu were there long before Wong Shun Leung showed up on Yip Man's doorsteps.
    This article may be helpful:
    http://www.vingtsun.org.hk/ipmantongfeel.htm
    I didn't mean any disrespect. Yes i have heard of the names of Leung Sheung and Lok Yiu. I just have not heard much stores or information about their Wing Chun start ups etc. Yes, I am well aware that they were both earlier than Sifu Wong SHun leung.

No Worries, I will read up on my histories. =)

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Yip Man - V Kan\
    ....................... me
    WSL - P Bayer /
    Well I could tell from your signature that you had trained with Sihing Philip.