Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazing catch wrestling vid

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    It's not dead, monji...

On the contrary, it's making a resurgence the likes of which haven't really been seen openly for many, many decades.

And no, the best catch guys are catch guys.

That doesn't mean that they haven't learned how to work against the guard - or incorporated some guard work into their own game when on the bottom. But they are catch guys.

Go to youtube and put in the name: Billy Robinson, for example.
    Sak was a free style wrestler and judo guy before starting catch, Josh's main teacher was a BJJ blackbelt, so thats what you consider strict catch is it?

And we are still waiting for a list of strict catch guys who have competed, in this resurgence of yours they must be all over the place and simple to name.....

Playing devil's advocate, but what is "strict" BJJ? What the Gracie family does is a mixture of old school judo, wrestling and sambo (to state the least). Certainly BJJ has been open to incorporating elements of other things if they work

Sak's background is definitely wrestling (free style), but free style was originally a form of catch as catch can... according to the guys at LA Jiu Jitsu (bas rutten and the gang), when Sak was in the US around the early days of pride he had NO guard game at all. Officially he lists his style as "UWF" which if you know what that means....

Barnett loves to sell the pro wrestling gimmick, personally he and I have disagreed in this area, and yeah, working with Paulson he has been exposed to A LOT of BJJ, but his game is indeed influenced by wrestling / catch

Today and especially in MMA, there is nothign "pure"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Was there ever bro?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Was what "Judo" Gene LaBelle did catch wrestling? I mean it sure doesn't look like just plain Judo.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Sak was a free style wrestler and judo guy before starting catch, Josh's main teacher was a BJJ blackbelt, so thats what you consider strict catch is it?

And we are still waiting for a list of strict catch guys who have competed, in this resurgence of yours they must be all over the place and simple to name.....
    ***AND THIS is a very fast-and-loose rendition of the facts. Sakuraba had some jiu jitsu training, alright....but his MAIN training was in cacc - for he ALWAYS referred to himself as a WRESTLER; in addition, his cacc training first started with Takada, and then with Billy Robinson. Furthermore, his style of "grappling" is unmistakably catch - the same as Royce Gracie's style could be said to be unmistakably BJJ.

And ditto for Josh Barnett - who will be the first to tell you that he's a catch wrestler, that what he's taken from Erik Paulson was MAINLY the cacc that Erik Paulson showed him...and that his style also represents MAINLY what he picked up from studying the training vids of Tony Cecchine - and what he learned directly from Billy Robinson.

Enough bull5hit about guys like Sakuraba and Barnett. That stuff just doesn't fly anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, but what is "strict" BJJ? What the Gracie family does is a mixture of old school judo, wrestling and sambo (to state the least). Certainly BJJ has been open to incorporating elements of other things if they work

Sak's background is definitely wrestling (free style), but free style was originally a form of catch as catch can... according to the guys at LA Jiu Jitsu (bas rutten and the gang), when Sak was in the US around the early days of pride he had NO guard game at all. Officially he lists his style as "UWF" which if you know what that means....

Barnett loves to sell the pro wrestling gimmick, personally he and I have disagreed in this area, and yeah, working with Paulson he has been exposed to A LOT of BJJ, but his game is indeed influenced by wrestling / catch

there may or may not be strict BJJ, but there are guys who have trained purely in a BJJ school under guys who are only BJJ blackbelts and have competed and done well, has any ctach guy actually done this?

As someone said its all grappling but claiming something is special, unique or going to be the next great thing when only a handful of people trained in it have done well and most of them have trained in another art to make what they do work is b*ll****

That was my counter in my head (me playing devils advocate to myself) , and why I didn't continue the argument.

Erik and Josh are CSW and Josh more recently seems to say CSW more than catch. The fact is Catch alone covers very little (in its original form)..

That being said Helio Gracies original "BJJ" was very limited in my not so humble experience. BJJ has evolved, and thats why you have people training with a wide variety of other styles and bringing that in.. and competing in high levels.

USJA will be doing allot of BJJ and No Gi in the future and I see that as a major direction. Pretty much majority of people are interested in getting better (no matter the flag the technique flys under). Sometimes egos flare up when you visit the wrong place but for example.. my teacher trained in a Judo gym in Brazil and I know for a fact MANY brazilians doing BJJ do that also..

Does that mean they all have great judo? nope, but at min they are experiencing new things and competing. Thats what Josh is doing also, and I respect him for it.

The fact is that catch people mostly live in a padded room, and refuse to compete. (not CSW people). They claim that the technique will kill, destroy, and won't work in competition.

the other fact is that the best grapplers compete, and even crapy ones do too (myself in that second category).. so I do love the opinion from the corner that doesn't really train, and doesn't compete.

Catch is dead wake up, you need to mix it other styles to really be a rounded grappler. Thats why many BJJ fighters train Judo or wrestling or come from a wrestling background.

enough "bull5hit" about the only two guys in the world that come from a "catch". I love catch, but you need to mix it up inorder to be relevant. The people I meet that have good skills that claim to be catch are nothing more than great wrestlers from high school or college that learn a few submissions (all of which I see in modern BJJ)..
    great you could call yourself a BJJ fighter too.. its really semantics that mean nothing.

thats all I have to say about that, because I have to spend some time on the mat . I unlike some groups of people I compete and I"m trying not to look too stupid Saturday at NAGA.

as a point I'm more impressed with some of the American Sambo stuff than the catch stuff. They have better leg locks, and have all the "american" wrestling, mixing judo and crazy judo variations..
    Sambo is some nasty stuff. If I had to choose two or three styles to train on a normal basis it would be BJJ, and Sambo/Judo. The Sambo guys have some nice no gi variations too.
    Last edited by monji112000; 06-10-2010 at 03:03 PM.

there may or may not be strict BJJ, but there are guys who have trained purely in a BJJ school under guys who are only BJJ blackbelts and have competed and done well, has any ctach guy actually done this?
    Sak's background is free style, which is a direct descendent of catch as catch can, he then trained "UWF" style which is basicly Muay Thai and catch wrestling (via Gotch)... I'd say he "done well" in his MMA career
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

There's not just two guys in the world doing cacc...it's two so far who've competed in mma with it - who look upon themselves as catch wrestlers.....(along with hybrid catch guys like Erik Paulson and Matt Hume).

And now Randy Couture is trying his hand at it.

And BJJ black belt/mma guy Roli Delgado is now training in cacc with Billy Robinson on a weekly basis down in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Just keep watching.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-16-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    There's not just two guys in the world doing cacc...it's two so far who've competed in mma with it - who look upon themselves as catch wrestlers.....(along with hybrid catch guys like Erik Paulson and Matt Hume).

And now Randy Couture is trying his hand at it.

And BJJ black belt/mma guy Roli Delgado is now training in cacc with Billy Robinson on a weekly basis down in Memphis, Tennessee.

Just keep watching.
    so guys with grappling expereince are adding some bits to their game, what a surprise again where are the guys only trained in catch?

Sak's background is free style, which is a direct descendent of catch as catch can, he then trained "UWF" style which is basicly Muay Thai and catch wrestling (via Gotch)... I'd say he "done well" in his MMA career
    In the same way can we argue that guys trained in BJJ and judo are strict judo guys since BJJ is a direct descendent of judo?

I was thinking of strict catch guys without a freestyle back ground, like takada

were all their training partners purely bjj guys as well?

remember when i noted fedor doesnt do bjj you claimed he trained with people who do to make it seem like this is how he manages to do with out it

by that logic if these "pure"bjj guys are training with guys who know other gappling arts than they arent pure bjj guys because they are picking up some non bjj stuff in theory

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    were all their training partners purely bjj guys as well?

remember when i noted fedor doesnt do bjj you claimed he trained with people who do to make it seem like this is how he manages to do with out it

by that logic if these "pure"bjj guys are training with guys who know other gappling arts than they arent pure bjj guys because they are picking up some non bjj stuff in theory
    actually i never said anything about pure BJJ, what i said was these guys have trained purely in a BJJ school, BJJ gys are exposed to lots of things, but being explosed, and having years of training in wrestlling (like Sak) or training under a b
    BJJ blackbelt (like Josh) are two different things/ the point hundreds of GJJ guys have done fine in competition when only training in a BJJ class, where are all the catch guys doing the same?

hundreds of GJJ guys have done fine in competition when only training in a BJJ class, where are all the catch guys doing the same?
    you realize not everyone trains in different arts because they view they have to or must to round out their game dont you?

like myself for example i started off in boxing and i didnt start learning other things like karate or tkd or recently mma for any specific reason. I just did it because it was available to me not because i wanted or felt i had to expand my game..

my attitude with martial arts is if its available take it and with that atitude ive learned different things and it doesnt make me less of a boxer as a result

boxing was fine on its own i just added things because they were there to take

catch wrestling is no different

just because someone trains in something else doesnt mean that catch isnt good enough or cant be used on its own

theres a wide variety of reasons people cross train after all

as far as the gjj guys are concerned if their partners come form different backrounds and bring that into their workouts than they arent doing just bjj even if its rollling or working on techniques yadda yadda yadda

the minute youre practicing on dealing with something out side of your system or exchanging other techniques then youre not just doing your style your stepping out of it

just being strict bjj or any art for that matter would be someone only learning that art and training only with partners who know only bjj and nothing else

and i thinks thats rare most people who are only labeled as bjj guys have usually picked up other things down the road in their training
    Last edited by goju; 06-11-2010 at 12:27 AM.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

so guys with grappling expereince are adding some bits to their game, what a surprise again where are the guys only trained in catch?
    ***YOU have to start somewhere. Like Sak, who had a jiu jitsu and free style wrestling background, went to cacc...and never looked back.

Barnett started with free style wrestling, found Paulson, found cacc...and never looked back.

Now look, before this goes down an all-too-familiar foolish road, jiu jitsu offers a few subs that weren't part of original catch, (ie.- catch wrestlers have always referred to the arm bar as the "Japanese" arm bar)...and some guard work as it was developed by the Gracies in particular have elements that good catch wrestlers of today have picked up on...and some other things...

but to try and give the impression that cacc is merely something that can offer "little bits and pieces" to grapplers is a f u c k i n g joke...and is clearly indicative of an insecure and jealous way of thinking.

Cacc is a real art that offers quite a lot all on its own....quite a lot.

The fact that so many people still have a hard time getting over that, even now (2010) is not my concern.

I couldn't care less.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-11-2010 at 07:30 AM.