Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazing catch wrestling vid

Again, what's on that vid in the opening post has nothing to do with me....it's all about cacc wrestling. The vid stands on it's own, Sak and Barnett the same thing, ditto for Billy Robinson, Karl Gotch, Lou Thesz...and all the rest of it - it all stands on its own.

Oh and one more thing, you might want to take a look at Gene Lebell's book entitled "TOUGHEST MAN ALIVE"...as 70 something year old Gene has been around the block countless times over the last 60 years...is a legit judo champion...fought and beat a middleweight boxer (Milo Savage) back in the 1960's...and Gene also trained in cacc under the tutelage of guys like Lou Thesz, Karl Gotch, and Vic Christy back in the day...

take a look at what he has to say about catch, about Lou Thesz, about the UFC, the Gracies, etc.

It's a great read for many reasons, the book is.

But here's just one thing he had to say: LOU THESZ is the best submission wrestler/grappler he's ever seen.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-16-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Victor, my point in all this is, without the pin, how is catch any different than any other type of submission grappling? Catch wrestling has always had the pin as a finishing technique in addition to the submissions. A lot of strategy and techniques that make catch unique have to do with avoiding or acquiring a pin.

There are TONS of threads on various forums throughout recent years that can spell out the differences between cacc wrestling and other grappling styles, m1k3.

Aside from anything having to do with shoulder pins.

Been there and done that MANY times.

Go do the research, my friend.

And in the meantime, o n c e....a g a i n....

just check out the wrestling/grappling styles of the fights on youtube with Sakuraba and Barnett.

And if you still think there's really no differences, then LOL.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-16-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Actually if you want to see an amazing catch wrestling vid, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGsVmUVdroU

That was the most boring 5hit I've ever seen. The guy sits down into guard inside of 7 seconds of the start of the match (yeah, try that in the street)....gets to "work" guard forever (no striking allowed, LOL)...and then is ahead on bull5hit bjj "points" when the ref is about to award the match to Barnett for the heel hook...and then the ref gets over-ruled by the bjj chieftains in the room - and gives the match to Barral on points.

What a load of crap. Everything about it: pure crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    That was the most boring 5hit I've ever seen. The guy sits down into guard inside of 7 seconds of the start of the match (yeah, try that in the street)....gets to "work" guard forever (no striking allowed, LOL)...and then is ahead on bull5hit bjj "points" when the ref is about to award the match to Barnett for the heel hook...and then the ref gets over-ruled by the bjj chieftains in the room - and gives the match to Barral on points.

It was a GRAPPLING match. Of course there was no striking. It also was a BJJ match. There are no heel-hooks allowed in BJJ tourneys.

Good for Josh for mixing it up in a variety of different environments. Obviously he understands the value in competing in different formats to help one become a better fighter. That's one of the many reasons he is good and you are not.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 06-16-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    It was a GRAPPLING match. Of course there was no striking. It also was a BJJ match. There are no heel-hooks allowed in BJJ tourneys.

Good for Josh for mixing it up in a variety of different environments. Obviously he understands the value in competing in different formats to help one become a better fighter. That's why he is good and you are not.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Say what you will, but it was reeeaaaallly boring...

like your posts.

Say what you will, but it was reeeaaaallly boring...

like your posts.
    I think the same thing about soccer. If I competed in it and understood the technical details, I'm sure I wouldn't find it boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I think the same thing about soccer. If I competed in it and understood the technical details, I'm sure I wouldn't find it boring.
    trust me you probably would

it comments like these that make me wonder if you actually do any grappling apart from watching you tube videos...and whether you have ever competed in any type of sporting enviromnet.....

you play to the rules, which in BJJ makes guard sitting against a bigger, stronger person who might be better at wrestling a good idea.......you don't worry about heel hooks as they are not allowed, thus you use certain passes/moves you would not use if heelhooks were allowed (and its hard tos score with a move thats illegal).

let me guess when you grapple you always do it with strikes to keep it real...ever wondered why your skills generally still suck after all this time?

Victor, this isn't the wing chun forum so it is about you. You have presented yourself as knowledgeable about grappling and cacc in particular. Now you are being called out on your bonafides by people who are grapplers.

So, what is your background in grappling, who do or did you train with, have you ever competed or are you just a fan boy?

To be fair I will go first. I trained and competed in folk style wrestling in John Harris High School in Harrisburg PA and I currently train at the Daddis Fight Camp in Cherry Hill NJ. http://www.phillymma.com/ I am currently just a hobbyist with no intention of competing at this time.

In a shameless plug for my school I am going to recommend it highly and invite any one in the Philadelphia area to visit one of the schools. Brad is a great instructor and I am confident that you will like it.

Okay Victor, your turn.

its funny how someone who doesn't do any type of grappling , can be easily be identified when they try to make a opinion. If a heel hook is somehow going to save you every time ( and is of course going to put you in a "safe" position for "street" fighting) then maybe you need to think about expanding your grappling skills and becoming well rounded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upFTI...ext=1&index=10

You put anyone on their back and you will see some type of guard.. I hear Randy likes to play guard allot.

The difference is you guys like Randy and Josh NOW playing guard allot in the gym because they see the benefit of being more well rounding, training with a variety of people and venues.

Once you take away the limiting rules of Judo and other competitions, that force a fighter to do takedowns.. pulling guard becomes a viable option if thats a strong point for you.

In my not so humble opinion it is pretty stupid to never work guard, and only be a "top" game fighter. Its great when you can out wrestle someone, when you are the big strong guy.. but it only takes one time to be humbled for you to see why the guard is a very important position. (and passing guard)

Yah maybe passing the guard should be a topic talked about more than pulling guard..
    Last edited by monji112000; 06-17-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    trust me you probably would
    Nah, I think Dale would appreciate the strategy behind Football, the various ways to crack open a defense, the various ways to cancell out individual talent as a factor, the various ways an underdog team can hang in there and even win.
    Case in point Switzerland over Spain yesterday.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Nah, I think Dale would appreciate the strategy behind Football, the various ways to crack open a defense, the various ways to cancell out individual talent as a factor, the various ways an underdog team can hang in there and even win.
    Case in point Switzerland over Spain yesterday.
    he might just get p8ssed off at the fact they are using an addidas football no one can control