Chollywood Rising is the name of my new print-only column in Kung Fu Tai Chi. I launched it in the last issue.

I was torn between posting this on our RoA or RC threads but decided this needed a bump as my column is due.

* October 7, 2010, 1:05 PM HKT
The Continuing Return of John Woo
By Dean Napolitano

The recent two-part Chinese historical epic “Red Cliff” marked a *return to Asia for legendary Hong Kong director John Woo after more than a decade in Hollywood. With his latest project*—the martial-arts film “Reign of Assassins,” starring Michelle Yeoh as a Ming Dynasty-era assassin struggling to leave her past behind—Mr. Woo is again sticking to home turf. “The film business in China is growing—and growing fast,” says Mr. Woo. “There are good opportunities for all kinds of directors.”

Mr. Woo has inspired a generation of filmmakers with his unique style of extreme action and *detailed storytelling in movies from Hong Kong (“The Killer”) to Hollywood (“Face/Off”). Last month, he was awarded the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement at the *Venice International Film Festival. “It’s a great honor,” he says, “but I wouldn’t say I had much *influence.”

“Reign of Assassins,” opened in China last week and hits screens around the region this month. It was written and directed by Taiwan’s Su Chao-pin. Mr. Woo serving as co-director and co-producer.

Q. What do you like about working in mainland China?

A. There are so many talented young people in China. They have great passion, and they love to learn. That is one of the reasons why I came back to make “Red Cliff.

Q. How does working in China compare with the U.S.?

A. There are so many meetings in Hollywood. You have to make compromises. I feel free working in China. We have one meeting to talk about the budget and we go ahead and do it. But we still need to learn so much from Hollywood.

Q. What’s your role?

A. I see myself as a bridge. I *always try to bring in the good things from both sides. We can learn from each other.

Q. What’s the future for the Hong Kong and mainland China film industries?

A. I think they are merging into one. Hong Kong filmmakers need a bigger market. Hong Kong and mainland China people have *different lifestyles and cultural backgrounds, but it’s nice to see them work together to create something new.

Q. What’s next for you?

A. I go where the work is interesting—for the moment that’s China and America. I have three projects developing in Beijing and three in Hollywood. I love work. I don’t want to stop.
On a side note, look at what happened to China's remake of High School Musical.