Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Structure Functional Application

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Robert,

What I can't believe is how you're ducking my question.
    Ducking? I thought I answered them?

You claim to know what TWC body structure is all about...
    Yes, you do not pump the pelvis like lovemaking do you when you throw a punch? You have to hump your opponent like a ***** dog when you strike them. This way, you fak them up.

You claim to have come up with a different version of body structure...
    I would say that what I described above is different from TWC.

You claim that your version is more fight efficient than other systems - and obviously that includes TWC...
    More fight efficient? I said it would give you better mechanics. Fighting is a matter of your experience, timing, and who you are fighting. You are talking about fighting, and I am talking components of a fighter. I told you the obvious advantage- Power. When you engage the body's largest muscles (in the butt and the legs) in everything you do, you have more drive. Why hit a person 10 times in a second, when once will do? Who wins a fight between Victor Parlati with no body structure, Victor with some body structure, or Victor with optimized body structure? You are talking about apples and oranges. I'm not biting into a stupid argument of "this is better than you" - that's so high school. I already know the reality of fighting... You have an advantage use it. It's just another weapon in the arsenal. But if you don't have it....

but yet you refuse to explain how your version is different and more efficient.

Okey, dokey..............
    Hope that explains it. Victor, we've been acquaintances for a long time, surely you know my personality. I have no delusion about "stylistic" superiority.

Of course all this talk about all the WC people with bad structure, bad technique, bad training methods, few people that want to train hard and compete does beg the question... why would anyone with half a brain not just go to learn a proven functional training style where there are plenty of training partners, proven training methods, and, probably, less expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Of course all this talk about all the WC people with bad structure, bad technique, bad training methods, few people that want to train hard and compete does beg the question... why would anyone with half a brain not just go to learn a proven functional training style where there are plenty of training partners, proven training methods, and, probably, less expensive?
    Which is exactly why despite your previous statements to the contrary---it is hard to find folks who want to compete among those who also want to do a TMA like VT.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Yes, you do not pump the pelvis like lovemaking do you when you throw a punch? You have to hump your opponent like a ***** dog when you strike them. This way, you fak them up.
    Huh?

That makes no sense at all.

Well if nothing else it would be less confusing.

Now, is rooting part of body structure?

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Which is exactly why despite your previous statements to the contrary---it is hard to find folks who want to compete among those who also want to do a TMA like VT.
    Actually, I'm basing my statement partially on what you told me.

Huh?

That makes no sense at all.
    Dale, you are an outsider to WCK...

1) Most WCK people only use the arm. Look at the first punch in Siu Nim Tao. Locked static stance, only arm power pushing the punch out.

My way uses the pelvis and horse - you actually use the YJKYM from day one.

2) Most people when they do Cern Jut/ Cern Tok at each section of the Jong, simply wave their arms. There is no rising/falling pelvic thrust of the horse (looks like lovemaking) - all 6 vector forces (up down, forward backward, left right) are engaged.

3) If you throw a medicine ball in YJKYM, do you thrust your whole torso forward, or simply throw it with your arms?

Again, I don't care to debate non wing chun visiting folks who comment on wing chun. Or other who claim a wing chun label but dont really do much wing chun.Others can argue with them of they wish.

I understand what Robert is saying about the importance of structure and he has devised his own tests of structure.Others including my self have their own tests and have had them for quite some time.

Ho Kam Ming and Augustine Fong pay and have always paid a great deal of attention to structure for serious beginning students and testing the structure in different contexts. Some drifting, casual students and visitors may miss the careful attention.

Ho kam Ming is Augustine Fong's sifu-but Fong Sifu as good creative students do has his own curriculum, insights and teaching methods though the subject - wing chun- is the same.

I began wing chun in 1976 and paid careful attention to the foundations and to structure. If I didn't get it at my school I would have gone somewhere else-but not probably to another wing chun school.SOME of the schools that I have seen do not pay enough attention to the details of wing chun structure- without which wing chun's development of power, balance and leverage can be flawed. Once having developed good structure one can adapt to circumstances.. as well built feats of engineering in obeying the laws of nature do.

Structure is style specific and ballet, shotokan, chen taiji among others can have their own structure depending on the key motions that each activity wants to do. Good wing chun structure is an unique achievement. Unfortunately, except for key students who paid for and took private lessons- the great Ip Man paid uneven attention to the students in many of the regular classes many of which were taught by other students.

Wing chun is NOT the only way to self defense but it has it's own requirements in structure-vertical and horizontal, and in punching, palm work, elbows
    , shoulder, knees, feet and footwork
    As part of kung fu etiquette I wont comment on other specific individual. sub styles or schools.

joy chaudhuri

Thank you Joy!

Great insight into the teaching of your lineage and it is true Sigung Yip Man withheld a lot from those who never had private lessons.

Body structure = more b.s. from a bunch of theoretical non-fighters.

Every physical activity has the concept of body structure... from football, to baseball, to wrestling, to bjj, to judo, to basketball, to ballroom dance.

Body structure also changes depending on the circumstances.

Beginners in most activities pretty much learn it and then never have to give too much thought to it again after they get up into the intermediate levels.

Something is seriously wrong if "advanced" practitioners are spending a bunch of time worrying about structure.

you tell em little buddy!

http://nicolasb.com.ar/archivos/2009...py-old-man.jpg

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Finally, an answer...

Okay, Robert...So about this:

Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun
    "You claim to know what TWC body structure is all about..."

Robert: "Yes, you do not pump the pelvis like lovemaking do you when you throw a punch? You have to hump your opponent like a ***** dog when you strike them. This way, you fak them up."

Quote:
    "You claim to have come up with a different version of body structure..."

Robert: "I would say that what I described above is different from TWC."

Quote:
    "You claim that your version is more fight efficient than other systems - and obviously that includes TWC..."

Robert: "More fight efficient? I said it would give you better mechanics. Fighting is a matter of your experience, timing, and who you are fighting. You are talking about fighting, and I am talking components of a fighter. I told you the obvious advantage - Power. When you engage the body's largest muscles (in the butt and the legs) in everything you do, you have more drive."

***NOW I've seen some of Alan Orr's vids (and the fights involving his guys) and yes...this "pumping the hips" thing is GOOD. It does provide more power and drive. And at certain times during an encounter - and at certain distances - it will provide more power and more pressure while coming in at one's opponent. And yes, it's not part of TWC.

But that's it.

Other than this, I've yet to see or hear anything fight functional about what you do that's different than any other wing chun method I've ever seen - regarding body structure.

But I will give one other thing to you in this regard - besides the hip pumping power generation.

You've brought a lot of attention to the whole issue of body structure within wing chun in recent years - and that's also good - because I agree with those (including you obviously) who believe that many people within wing chun don't develop their basic structure, drive, legs, and stance work in general to the point where these things should be.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    does beg the question... why would anyone with half a brain not just go to learn a proven functional training style where there are plenty of training partners, proven training methods, and, probably, less expensive?
    well, one reason is, it apparantly seems to attract alot of a$$holes...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    well, one reason is, it apparantly seems to attract alot of a$$holes...
    Prerequisites:

1. Must have large chip on shoulder
    2. Have zero tolerance for those who disagree with you
    3. Must have no sense of humility and or respect
    4. Tattoos, must have lots of tattoos
    5. An affinity for thug wear
    6. Must praise MMA as the single greatest fighting platform in the world.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=46959

link to similar thread a few years ago, same arguments and all...nothing much has changed....maybe a few people need to experience it for themselves instead of reading about it or watching it on a vid and making conclusions from there..

James
    Last edited by sihing; 05-13-2010 at 08:10 PM.

I don't know Andrew... The tendency on any board is to hack apart anything and everything having to do with the subject ad infinitum IME.
    I guess that's true. And its probably hard to do anything else when all you can share is text, other than repeat what's already been said over and over in the TCMA/MMA flamefest.

Also, IMO it's a valid topic.. If anyone can share any info on VT use of structure that will help out someone's VT then great....
    Yeah, I guess so. Better use of the web talking about this stuff than watching pr0n ... from a WC POV anyway ...
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!