Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraqi veterans running for Congress

Iraqi veterans running for Congress

"Two Iraq veterans who left the military after surviving charges of crimes against detainees are running for Congress. Benjamin Sarlin on the renegade soldiers.

Two Iraq veterans who left the military after surviving charges of crimes against detainees are running credible campaigns for Congress. And far from minimizing the incidents, both candidates have put the accusations front and center in their campaigns, attracting rock-star adulation from conservatives nationwide in the process. But critics, including human-rights activists, veterans, and now even defeated primary opponents, warn that their records should disqualify them from office.

Last week, Ilario Pantano won the Republican nomination in North Carolina’s 7th District, setting up a challenge to incumbent Democrat Rep. Mike McIntyre in November. In 2001, immediately following the 9/11 terror attacks, Pantano, a veteran who had previously fought in the Gulf War, left his career as a successful producer and media consultant in his native Manhattan to rejoin the Marines and was eventually deployed to Iraq. In April 2004, Pantano killed two unarmed Iraqi detainees, twice unloading his gun into their bodies and firing between 50 and 60 shots in total. Afterward, he placed a sign over the corpses featuring the Marines' slogan “No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy” as a message to the local population.

“For someone who lived through what I lived through, that was very personal to me,” Pantano said. “The idea of people being prosecuted for doing their jobs in what is in fact a war—it struck me that members of Congress were being disingenuous. What our men and women were doing in enhanced interrogations was not torture and the prospect of investigations smacked of politics.”

Pantano is not the only veteran to highlight the moral ambiguities of war on the campaign trail. Retired Lt. Col. Allen West, running in Florida’s 22nd District to replace Democratic Rep. Ron Klein, seems to revel in them.

West was forced to retire from the Army and fined $5,000 after he admitted to apprehending an Iraqi policeman he suspected of planning an ambush, watching as his troops beat him, and then firing a gunshot by the Iraqi’s head in order to scare him into divulging information. West said the decision saved lives by preventing an ambush. But no plot was ever discovered and the policeman in question later told The New York Times that he had no knowledge of any attacks."

Full story at:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...-for-congress/
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

We know the rules of engagement, and we DEFINITELY know about the law of war (try sitting through a few dozen briefs) before deploying. If they fail to uphold these laws, they deserve what they get. You don't beat detainees, and you don't shoot at their heads. That's been illegal for decades. It's suddenly ok now?

I also don't think there should be too many vets in office, but that's a philosophical view on my part. Shouldn't be ex-military deciding between hostile and non-hostile COAs. Just my view.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I really wanted to see your opinion on this one Drake. Glad you posted.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

A good thing in one sense but it is a political game!

It makes no sense to me that their backers want to spend the next 50-100 years in Afghanistan while denying the same monetary benefit to US citizens. That is unpatriotic and downright nasty!

So, from hsi quotes unloading 50 to 60 rounds into 2 unarmed detained prisioners is now "enhanced interrogations" WTF????

Not only are these guys total jacka$$es for waht they did, but what scares me is they are now getting "rock-star adulation" from the people who support them.

Seriously what the hell is wrong with people in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog View Post
    Not only are these guys total jacka$$es for waht they did, but what scares me is they are now getting "rock-star adulation" from the people who support them.

Seriously what the hell is wrong with people in this country.
    I'd rather Iraqi veterans running the country than a community agitator.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Why do you want Iraqis running our country?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Why do you want Iraqis running our country?
    I mistyped.

I'd rather have American servicemen who served in Iraq or Afghanistan running the country than a community agitator running it.

I mistyped.

I'd rather have American servicemen who served in Iraq or Afghanistan running the country than a community agitator running it.
    why?

why do you think ex soldiers make good politicians?

or are you saying you would support a junta over a democratically elected president?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    why?

why do you think ex soldiers make good politicians?

or are you saying you would support a junta over a democratically elected president?
    He never said a junta. He simply prefers that veterans be in office. Not by force, but elected. Another key difference would be that they wouldn't be military any longer, and many of those running are National Guard or Reserves, which isn't nearly as militaristic a culture as straight up active duty. A vet in office is not exclusive from a democratic election.

My disagreements with it lie more in what it could become than what it is.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    He never said a junta. He simply prefers that veterans be in office. Not by force, but elected. Another key difference would be that they wouldn't be military any longer, and many of those running are National Guard or Reserves, which isn't nearly as militaristic a culture as straight up active duty. A vet in office is not exclusive from a democratic election.

My disagreements with it lie more in what it could become than what it is.
    Thank you Drake.

Notice again the liberals are adding words to my posts...

Any particular reason you feel that you only have the two extreme options to choose from?
    If that is truly the case, your country is in a deeper hole than I thought.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thank you Drake.

Notice again the liberals are adding words to my posts...
    Notice again how the neo-con ditto head is :

a)letting someone else answer for him carte blanch

b) inferring that he knows the political leanings one way or another of other members of the forum despite his monumental ignorance of them.

Just answer the question 1bad
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Any particular reason you feel that you only have the two extreme options to choose from?
    If that is truly the case, your country is in a deeper hole than I thought.
    Who says the veterans are extremists? The article didn't say that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Just answer the question 1bad
    First off, quit being a jerk.

You added words to my posts AGAIN, and when Drake addressed you doing it, I agreed with him.

I'd prefer the veterans to the community agitator. That means if I were in the districts in question, I would VOTE for the veterans. I do not advocate a junta, of course I didn't even use the word in the first place.