Thread: Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Wing Chun Grand Champion

Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Wing Chun Grand Champion

We posted the rules for our new Wing Chun Grand Champion Division.

For more information, see our Tiger Claw's 2nd KungFuMagazine.com Championship and 7th Shark City Nationals thread. TCKFMCII will be held on June 12, 2010 at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center in downtown San Jose, California.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Calling all Wing Chunners

The LAST registration discount deadline is this Saturday, 5/29. Register NOW!

As of now, we have very few competitors. If we don't get more soon, we may cancel this division. That would be a shame as we have a nice big trophy for all Grand Champions.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene,

Send me a plane ticket and I'll sign up
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

We currently have less than a dozen competitors

I've been talking to a few Wing Chun guys about this. No one can remember a recent sticky hands competition in our area. The last one I remember was at an event at SFSU and that must have been in the early '90s. I hope some more Wing Chun people can come out and represent. I'm hoping to keep this division and support Wing Chun in our area, but we need competitors to do so.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship 1st Wing Chun Grand Champion

Congratulations to Aaron Yuen!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Congratulations to Aaron Yuen!
    Thanks Gene and to everyone who coordinated and ran the event. Our whole class had a great time and enjoyed the event very much. Hopefully this will spark interest and bring about greater turnouts for future events. Thank you again!

Aaron Yuen
    Union City Wing Chun Student Association

Congrats Aaron

and welcome to our forums.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

All,

I’ve been promoting Wing Chun in Tournaments for the past 15 years, and worked diligently to standardize Chi Sau rules. Through the support and vision of many forward-thinking Tournament Promoters (people like Gene and Gigi, who went out of their way to put on a FANTASTIC event), Sifu, and Students many tournaments today feature Wing Chun divisions. The Tiger Claw Shark City Nationals in Jan Jose, California, has now joined the ranks of tournaments offering Wing Chun specific divisions.

In any given tournament, the average number of competitors for the Wing Chun Divisions hovers around 10-20 participants. Considering this statistic, this tournaments turn-out was typical – and the Sifu and Judges were very professional and well organized, with the competitors reporting to me that they were very happy to have participated and tested themselves safely. From this view, the Wing Chun Divisions were a rousing success. From another point of view – where the typical divisions for other martial art families started around 30 as a minimum and went higher from there. From this second perspective, I have to wonder what’s wrong with the Wing Chun community… are Wing Chun Guys (and Gals) just Complainers and Talkers with very few Doers?

A Sifu once said to me, "Tournaments aren’t real. It’s just a game because I can’t do Biu Ji to the eyes or chop the throat. A real fight should be finished in 5 seconds." This, to me, speaks to the quality of this Sifu’s understanding and experience – which, in essence, is very low – because he never competed so he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Instead, he’s trying to talk his way out of testing his knowledge, skill, and training methods. Of all the legends in the martial arts, I have never heard of anyone who became famous with no competitive experience at all. By the logic that testing skill can only be accomplished through the use of lethal technique, then the military and police shouldn’t use simulation and role-play to test performance under stress. Instead, everything should be performed with live ammunition, and full speed, and under real stress. However, under these conditions, expect casualties to be high.

Hat’s Off to all the Doers and Go-Getters – the Sifu and Competitors that came to support this event. Everyone that participated stated that they would be back with more participants for next year. I’m excited to see Wing Chun knowledge, skill, and healthy competition continue to grow. Thanks again to the promoters for their vision and the opportunity to showcase the unique skills of our beloved system!

Sincerely,
    Master Meng

PS – In case you didn’t know, there’s also an upcoming Wing Chun World Championship in Fatshan (Foshan) in September 2010.

Grand Champion - Aaron Yuen from Sifu Alson Yuen's school

Wing Chun Forms – Intermediate
    1st Warren Low

Wing Chun Forms – Advanced
    1st Aaron Yuen

Wing Chun Weapons Forms – Advanced
    1st Aaron Yuen

Lightweight Chi Sau
    1st Warren Low
    2nd Jason Dunman

Middleweight Chi Sau
    1st Aaron Yuen