Thread: Shaolin Tonfa! Shaung Guai

Shaolin Tonfa! Shaung Guai

Hey Team;

I'd like to ask about the shaolin double crutch sets. The weapon resembles a Tonfa, but is a bit longer. It is referred to as Shuang Guai where Shuang means double and Guai is from Guai Zhang which means crutch or walking stick. Here is a Video:

http://www.56.com/u47/v_MjQ1ODcwNjA.html

THis weapon is Very rare in shaolin. I have never tried to learn it as I rarely concern myself with weapons routines, but still i find myself quite drawn to it recently. In all the places i trained only my teacher YongWen had an extant knowledge of it. He had 2 forms. One Set where the crutch is held on the outside of the fore arm and one set where the crutch is held on the inside of the forearm (upside down).

Anyway, out of interest does anyone know much about this weapon?

WHy is it called double crutch when it is far too short to ever be used as a crutch or even a walking stick?

What schools and masters do you know that still practice it today?

Has anyone ever noticed how every shaolin double weapons set is really similar, no matter what weapon is being used?

Also on a side note has anyone noticed that actual shaolin monks inside shaolin almost never actually wear orange?

Thats the first time I ever saw double crutch, but last year when we were there we learned Tamo Cane from Shi Heng Wei, a disciple of Master Shi Yan Wen. Maybe he knows the double version as well. The canes we used were much longer than the ones in the video though.

Yeah, Shaolin Guai Zhang, or Damo Zhang or Mei Hua Guai are all single crutch forms. There are actually two types;

One that actually looks like a crutch (although it is too short) and one which looks like a regular 'crook' walking stick. They are two distinct weapons although often have the same name. The style of use is different. THe 'crutch' version uses a lot more twirling the walking stick is a bit more snappy.

THe 'crutch version' is a little more common. This form varies enormously between lineages. There are some really awesome versions. But still, its not the double crutch, thats just awesome.

hi RenDaHai,

I have seen some video`s of double weapons, i dont know half the names of them. But i really like the one that Yang Gui Wu does on you tube, I dont know if it is on the other video servers

Time to dig through your stash of back issues.

Check out my article The Crutches of War: Bodhidharma's Legendary Fighting Cane in our 2002 January/February Shaolin Special .

For extra credit, check out The Tonfa's Chinese Grandpa: The Crutch of Strategist Sun Bin By John Brown and A Modern Link to Ancient Times:The Double Crutches and Rulers of Ngo Cho Kune By Belida Han Uckun, both in our 2004 March/April Police Kung Fu Special Issue.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Chiu Chuk Kai taught a double crutches set. Here is a video and article about this form in our style.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Since we're on the subject anyone know a supplier of damo canes?

Shaolin

We've had that conversation before: Where can I find a quality Bodhidharma's Cane?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TO be honest I've never seen a good one anywhere, and i live in dengfeng. Even if you find a thicker one, they still break real easy (the head just comes off). YOu can get metal ones, but they look really bad.

I usually use the standard walking stick type, which you can use for most of the moves in the form, you can get good walking sticks anywhere in the world. If your heart is set on the hammer head one.... I think you have one made, or make it. The hammer and spike are not so important, you just need the T shape, so i guess it shouldn't be soo hard...

This is what I've been having my students use as a replacement. There is no restriction of movment or application plus they love the 15" sharpened blade inside it. I just wanted a classic damo cane for myself.

This thread just popped up on another search I was doing...

I'm going to update it now with my most recent ezine blog: Shaolin Ways Episode 2: Plum Flower Bodhidharma Cane

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips