Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Lion Company- Freestanding Dummy

Great Lion Company- Freestanding Dummy

Hi everyone,
    I wanted to ask a few questions before purchasing a dummy from the Great lion company. I'm on a budget and my apartment is small, so I thought the GL's Freestanding Dummy looked like a good option. http://www.woodendummy.net/default.asp

Has anyone ever bought from the Great Lion Company and how was your experience?
    I found this online and it concerned me: http://www.karateforums.com/beware-o...s-vt26895.html

Also, any other good suggestions for dummies like this that I may have missed on my search?

Thanks!
    Last edited by tigershorty; 05-17-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Looks interesting,

But, I don't know about it being on the wheels, doesn't seem like it would give you much resistance, and you would just end up shoving it around the room. and really wouldn't be able to strike it unless you like chasing your wodden dummy across your basement.

My 2cents anyways.

Hello,

Actually, it comes with the option of locking wheels for an extra $45. You can also weight it top and bottom if you wish.

Have not bought one but am considering whether it would be worth it myself. Since I could drive down to ATL and pick it up.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

if mine doesn't show up, can you head down to ATL for me, too?

I have one with the larger hung gar arms structure on the locking wheels.

Locking them and having at it. It is very hard to knock it over.

can take a beating.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

so you ordered from them and didn't have any difficulties receiving your order? how long did it take?

It took a while, but he is handmaking them and hand turning the arms and other parts.

Have patience.

He kept me updated on the progress with emails periodically.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by tigershorty View Post
    if mine doesn't show up, can you head down to ATL for me, too?
    Sure. I have an old student in Smyrna just outside of ATL so I could kill two birds with one stone. Of course you would then need to come to Toccoa to pick it up
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

I loved the one I used. You can unlock the wheels and chase it around like you would do with a moving person, or you can lock the legs.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Update: i purchased one of the freestanding pvc wing chun dummies yesterday and will keep you guys posted on my experience. When it comes I'll post some pictures and video of it so people can see what it's like. I'll try to ignore the other thread asking if muk yan jongs are even useful

Quote Originally Posted by Darris Larsen View Post
    I bought a traditional Dummy(All Wood) from The Great Lion Company about 8 years ago. In my opinion the best on the market at the time. Mine is still going strong.
    Unfortunately he no longer makes all wood dummys I was fortunate enough to get one of the last ones.

just in case anyone cared/was considering buying a dummy:

Clark says on his website that orders take 7-14 days to complete and then ship. (depending where you are, it could take another week by UPS ground)

He received my order on the 12th of July and said it would take the 7-14 days mentioned on his website. Yesterday on on the 22nd he sent a message saying he would finish it up today and ship it on Monday or Tuesday. So as of now, everything seems to be pretty kosher.

I'll let you know when it gets here and post a review of it if anyone was considering one.
    After some deeper researching, it seems to be the bad reviews/experiences from the Great Lion Company were when his son-in-law took over the business briefly for 1-2 years..Clark now runs the company again. (just in case anyone was scared by the link in my first post)

I just replaced my wall-mounted dummy with a Great Lion Free-stander. It does not have as much play as a wall-mounter, but still works nicely. You can unlock the wheels and chase it around, too.

I did get a wood body, not sure about the PVC.
    JK-
    "Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

KY; Land of the Meth-Mouth, Redneck-Cracker, and Wanna-Be-Thug.

Clark Thornton

It's just too bad that Clark Thornton is not an honorable man. He stole the "Freestanding Dummy design" from a Wing Chun collage student back in 1999. He built the kid's prototype and promised to give him credit and royalties. Well he has never seen a nickle of than money... and even says he created the design on his website. The man is a liar.
    The "Iron Palm" is no match for the sharp tongue of the woman you love or her "Iron Skillet" as you sleep.

Great Lion

Hello!

I personally own three Great Lion mook jongs, and they are awesome! Clark Thornton makes the best mook jongs that I have ever had the pleasure to work with! As for being an honorable man, I have never known him to be anything but honorable! I have known him for many years, and think the world of him!
    Keep Blasting!
    Sifu Lamar M. Davis II
    Certified Full Instructor
    HARDCORE JEET KUNE DO CHINESE GUNG FU ASSOCIATION
    http://www.HardcoreJKD.com
    Sifu@HardcoreJKD.com

"Hit First, Hit Fast & Hit Hard ....... ALWAYS!"