Thread: Mantis with a Mawashi

Thumbs up Mantis with a Mawashi

How common is this technique in the style you train? Ankle pic in wrestling. A classic example of using the Seven Star / Jade Ring stance found in Bagua, Mantis, and taiji just to name a few. Just goes to show you that styles are really superfluous if one understands the mechanics of the body.

Enjoy,
    JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

It is the first leg technique I teach students.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    How common is this technique in the style you train? Ankle pic in wrestling. A classic example of using the Seven Star / Jade Ring stance found in Bagua, Mantis, and taiji just to name a few. Just goes to show you that styles are really superfluous if one understands the mechanics of the body.

Enjoy,
    JAB
    Very common... it's called Kouchi Gari http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SuAzlYzpJk. Although I'm much more aggressive in how I apply it.

Similar but different. And you Judoka are always so aggressive in Michigan. Must be because you all keep getting beat by the Buck's

JAB
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

What the heck is a buckeye anyway? A person can respect a Wolverine. It's mean, smelly, and furry... but a buckey???

I personally use it more like a circle entering stance (similar to a wrestler's inside trip except attacking the lead leg like Ko Uchi) The formal passive stuff doesn't seem to work. Although I'd say 9 times out of 10 that you better be prepared to hit the deck with your opponent and if you're fighting a ground fighter- watch out for him to pull guard on you.

Using it to counter strikes like in mantis may be safer - but I've personally never been able to use it in that way (as a strike counter) in spontaneous sparring with an aggressive opponent. Not saying it can't be done- just saying I haven't practiced it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I personally use it more like a circle entering stance...
    Clarifying the previous post - what I mean is that I get low and go in hard with a heel trip more like the circle entering stance when I want to throw a person (think circle entering's posture except extend your lead leg so that it does an inside wrap on your opponent's lead leg). The Seven Star / Jade Ring for me only causes the guy to stumble (impedes their retreat) but doesn't cause the big fall that I'd like to inflict.

Yeah the Buckeye is an enigma, but what is even a greater enigma is how something so fierce as a Wolverine gets tamed year after miserable year by nothing more than a... buckeye.

You speak of Chou Tui in Mantis (propping kick). Using it as a sweep is rather antiquated. Think of what significant, yet often overlooked, technological advance we have made in the past 100 years. The answer is rather obvious.

Any guess'?
    JAB
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    You speak of Chou Tui in Mantis (propping kick). Using it as a sweep is rather antiquated. Think of what significant, yet often overlooked, technological advance we have made in the past 100 years. The answer is rather obvious.

Any guess'?
    JAB
    It's probably effective- I'm just saying I can't use it effectively. But I don't practice it that much either.

Don't have a clue-- good tennis shoes???

Spot on brother! The advent of gripping soles! Think of the footwear and practice area in China 100 years ago. ****ty cloth as shoes, on dirt (no one had nice dojo's with mats and smooth flooring etc.). Chou Tui is stupid simple in this conditions. But put us on a basketball court in a HS with the latest Reebok's or Nike's on. Totally different!

Just an example of how certain techniques become antiquated with modern technologies. We just have to alter our approach to said technique!

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

inside or outside

Rashad Evans does a similar throw from the outside effectively. Haven't seen the sumo one exactly in mantis but the judo one where you leverage the upper thigh is common in mantis.
    phoenixdog