Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun "defeats" MMA

Bahahahahahahahaha.

keep fishing fu.cktard.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hence "charging" in quotation marks.
    Well to be honest I have never observed charging with quotation marks in a fight so I couldn't comment..

There is nothing wrong with charging per say, if it is controlled aggression and not half-assed.
    And this is the problem: I don't normally associate a charge with control...

VT is about being grounded and using minimal momentum even in striking... Charge to me = major momentum.. Momentum = "Please throw me" in MMA or SanShou rules.

Invading and controlling the opponents space is NOT a bad thing.
    And VT does this via position, measured/controlled movement and timing not by pouring momentum into the mix.. A core fundamental of the art IMO.
    Last edited by YungChun; 05-19-2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by shawchemical View Post
    There is no tapping in a real fight. A real fight is KO or major injury.

Sport fighting is different.
    umm where did i say it was the same, i said sparring is not fighting, and that competition fighting is different from sparring and closely to real fighting than sparring

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post

VT is about being grounded and using minimal momentum even in striking... Charge to me = major momentum.. Momentum = "Please throw me" in MMA or SanShou rules.

And VT does this via position, measured/controlled movement and timing not by pouring momentum into the mix.. A core fundamental of the art IMO.
    Please show a clip of a WC person doing this in a full-contact setting.

I think that the obvious problem with this video is that we are all getting a good chuckle because the grappler easily defeated the WC man. However, the thing that we need to realize is that the WC man must have demonstrated something to get to a title bout.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    I think that the obvious problem with this video is that we are all getting a good chuckle because the grappler easily defeated the WC man. However, the thing that we need to realize is that the WC man must have demonstrated something to get to a title bout.
    i know guys who have fought for titles in various organisations with only a few or sometimes no fights under their belt especially a decade ago when not many people were competing

sometimes you get called up because no one else will compete, sometimes because your promoter talks a good fight, all we can say on the evidance of that fight he had no ground skills and his stand up was not suited to a full MMA comp

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Point. The vid did show that his record was 14-0. But is that verified? Where his wins in that organization that put on the show or another? If he has 14 wins why is there no clip of his other fights? Sherdog list his MMA record at 0-1. However, his website (http://falknerwingchun.com) has photos of him training what appears to be San Shao in China. So back in 1996 they would list any pro-fights you had whether it was MT, San Shao, K-1 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TaoJKD
    Which exists where? Oh yeah, that film is located in the same library as the location of Jimmy Hoffa, Area 51 crash photos, and proof that Big Foot exists.

I can tell you that a lot of records were inflated in MMA in the beginning and I am sure that may still be the case in many competitions.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Please show a clip of a WC person doing this in a full-contact setting.
    Alan Orr's guys are doing exactly that.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by taojkd View Post
    Point. The vid did show that his record was 14-0. But is that verified? Where his wins in that organization that put on the show or another? If he has 14 wins why is there no clip of his other fights? Sherdog list his MMA record at 0-1. However, his website (http://falknerwingchun.com) has photos of him training what appears to be San Shao in China. So back in 1996 they would list any pro-fights you had whether it was MT, San Shao, K-1 etc.

Still, a professional match maker saw something in him to put him in that fight, a title bout. When you are looking to put together fights, its important to have fighters who can defend themselves against each other. I am sure that somebody saw something in him or he would not be there.

A sher dog listing is meaningless in of it's self. It's more to do with the promoter paying the IKF or some similar organization money than anything but you can rest assured that the same low quality fighters are at most of these shows either way.

Yeah they saw something, pretty much what the kyokushin guys saw when they signed up that 90 pound weakling to fight in one of their tournaments.. A good way to discredit the art.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Alan Orr's guys are doing exactly that.
    Didn't you say they weren't doing WC?

No that was the other wing chun guy
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    LOL... hard to keep track of which WC guys think which other WC guys are doing WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I just said that I would not consider that clip that Dale posted to be the best example of WC in mma. I can't say that they aren't doing WC in general. I also said that no apology is necessary for going out and winning fights. The fighter certainly demonstrated some WC skills but I would not call what he did archetypal WC.

Since Alan and T. trained under the same instructor I was concerned that Alan guys were just LARPER WC training before proceeding to their MMA training but I have since found out that T. got his training via distance training so I feel much better about the quality of training that Alan's guys are getting in WC.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 05-20-2010 at 02:24 PM.