Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Trips by Gene Ching

Thumbs up

Just got my copy yesterday. Scanned through it and it looks really good. I'll be reading it on the train on my way to training this weekend for sure
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Just ordered mine - cant wait

Ordered it cant wait. got message from MAM.com this morning that they are OUT and more are to be delivered today to be shipped ASAP. sucks for me on memorial day weekend,it was gonna be the read du jour but great for King Gene Ching!!

Yeah, I order the set just now and a couple of t-shirts for my wife and daughter.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

King Gene...

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    Ordered it cant wait. got message from MAM.com this morning that they are OUT and more are to be delivered today to be shipped ASAP. sucks for me on memorial day weekend,it was gonna be the read du jour but great for King Gene Ching!!
    Congrats on the sales Gene! Spamming the whole world must work real good......

I still prefer to wait a few weeks for my autographed copy.....

When my lineage takes it into Roadshow 50 years from now, the value appraisal of a signed copy by the then world famous Gene will be in the hundreds....
    .... Skip

Thanks for all the orders, everyone!

Our TN office handles MartialArtsMart.com fulfillment and they only received a small initial shipment via mail with the remainder following by truck, presumably today. So they are only out of stock for a very short time. They may be back in stock already.

I'm not sure I'm going to bring that many to TX next month as it weighs in at 669 pages and that gets heavy to carry pretty quickly. The book is basically a paper brick. So I might not have enough for everyone. I'm recommending that people who will see me in TX purchase their copy ahead of time and bring it to Legends of Kung Fu. I'll bring my pen.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

don't forget

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Our TN office handles MartialArtsMart.com fulfillment and they only received a small initial shipment via mail with the remainder following by truck, presumably today. So they are only out of stock for a very short time. They may be back in stock already.

I'm not sure I'm going to bring that many to TX next month as it weighs in at 669 pages and that gets heavy to carry pretty quickly. The book is basically a paper brick. So I might not have enough for everyone. I'm recommending that people who will see me in TX purchase their copy ahead of time and bring it to Legends of Kung Fu. I'll bring my pen.
    Don't forget - first come, first served....
    .... Skip

A review...of sorts.

I’ve had a little bit of a problem getting my Shaolin Trips dvd to work. Specifically, when the menu screen comes-up, there is no cursor to select “play” with. I’ve managed to watch the dvd by hitting the “stop” button and then “play” at which point the dvd begins. Just an FYI.

That being said – the book itself has far exceeded expectations. Most books on Shaolin are simply a bunch of facts thrown on paper – and one is lucky to even have such facts in any form of consistent order. Additionally, must books are more about pictures than any type of scholarship. Gene, it seems, has taken the opposite approach (there are no pictures for starters), and thereby created something exceedingly unique. He’s managed to weave together not only a book on the history and facts pertaining to Shaolin – but also a very personal story. The book is surprisingly intimate – and because of this aspect – very hard to put down.

I’ve only read the first few chapters, and can tell that this book is one that I’m going to treasure for a very long time to come.

In other words…thanks Gene.

Quote Originally Posted by kristcaldwell View Post
    I’ve had a little bit of a problem getting my Shaolin Trips dvd to work. Specifically, when the menu screen comes-up, there is no cursor to select “play” with. I’ve managed to watch the dvd by hitting the “stop” button and then “play” at which point the dvd begins. Just an FYI.

That being said – the book itself has far exceeded expectations. Most books on Shaolin are simply a bunch of facts thrown on paper – and one is lucky to even have such facts in any form of consistent order. Additionally, must books are more about pictures than any type of scholarship. Gene, it seems, has taken the opposite approach (there are no pictures for starters), and thereby created something exceedingly unique. He’s managed to weave together not only a book on the history and facts pertaining to Shaolin – but also a very personal story. The book is surprisingly intimate – and because of this aspect – very hard to put down.

I’ve only read the first few chapters, and can tell that this book is one that I’m going to treasure for a very long time to come.

In other words…thanks Gene.

RZA, smoking monks, learning that tinitus is not cured by ginko, finding out that Rosie Perez does kung fu...

This book has become my bible...
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Weird about that DVD, Krist

My apologies about that. That's the first I've heard of that problem. The DVD is basically video from Chapter 13, although I poached a little of the intro narrative in the DVD for the background of Shaolin in my book.

As for Rosie, I have this fond memory of Yanming getting her to eat a clove of raw garlic. And RZA, well, I couldn't leave him out now, could I?

Thanks for the endorsements, Krist & iron_leg_dave.

My book will be available on Amazon by the end of the week. Thanks for your support so far everyone.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Smile

As for Rosie, I have this fond memory of Yanming getting her to eat a clove of raw garlic. And RZA, well, I couldn't leave him out now, could I?

I almost busted when I read that. In part, because I have the same habit of eating raw garlic cloves (some old school American folk medicine) and have the more satisfying habit of urging others to partake in the same practice, and in other part because picturing the particular victim's reaction was hilarious.

People responding to sour li hing mui is just not the same as a clove of raw garlic.

Hey Gene, you think you'll sell this baby through amazon at some point?
    Is this a compilation of your articles woven together?

I'd buy it up from mam, but the shipping is twice as much as the book!

anyway you could just mail it usps up here?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

DJ, Shaolin Trips will be up on Amazon by the end of the week

Shaolin Trips started as a compilation but it quickly got out of hand. It's 3 sections of 18 chapters each. The first section, Trips, compiles my personal experiences (some of which I've published in ), news events, history, and a lot of previously unpublished material. It puts this all in a semi-chronological order. Section 2 is monks and section 3 is masters, both of which are culled from past feature articles. For example, the chapter on Yongxin compiles my first cover story on him from our 2003 November/December SHAOLIN SPECIAL with all of the successive interviews (makes an interested read when compared back-to-back).

i_l_d: All I can say about the Rosie Yanming garlic incident is that she's awfully cute when she squeals in that outrageous accent of hers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin Trips started as a compilation but it quickly got out of hand. It's 3 sections of 18 chapters each. The first section, Trips, compiles my personal experiences (some of which I've published in ), news events, history, and a lot of previously unpublished material. It puts this all in a semi-chronological order. Section 2 is monks and section 3 is masters, both of which are culled from past feature articles. For example, the chapter on Yongxin compiles my first cover story on him from our 2003 November/December SHAOLIN SPECIAL with all of the successive interviews (makes an interested read when compared back-to-back).

i_l_d: All I can say about the Rosie Yanming garlic incident is that she's awfully cute when she squeals in that outrageous accent of hers.

Nice work! I will snag a copy when I get the alert. Looks like a great piece of work! I really enjoy your articles on the subject!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ha, awesome.