Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new to kung fu

new to kung fu

i need some help, im going to be starting at the Wing chun Kung fu next month, i want to know if anyone can give me any information on kung fu so i can be prepared, ive wanted to learn martail arts for awhile and i wanted to do kung fu but ive never donr it before.

i just want to be prepare with my mind and body because i know its going to be hard and im abit of a sensitive person, not fully sensitive but i really want to do this and i dont want to quit as soon as it gets hard.

im abit of a chubby guy, im 22 years old. all i want to know is how does the beginners course go, im going to this place

http://www.chingmo.com/

if any of you know this place and trained with them id like your opinion and anything you can prepare me for.

just go and have a go everyones opinion and views will be different we can't tell you what to expect as its an individual thing.

Most schools will let you watch before you takepart and take an introduction class before you join

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    just go and have a go everyones opinion and views will be different we can't tell you what to expect as its an individual thing.

Most schools will let you watch before you takepart and take an introduction class before you join
    im going for my introduction soon, im hoping it will go well

Quote Originally Posted by tigerguy View Post
    im going for my introduction soon, im hoping it will go well
    i sure you will enjoy it don;t worry to much about it just have some fun

thanks, i just want to be prepare as i want to do this from start to finnish

there is no finish!

but ya just go, have fun, observe and learn. they wont put you through all the paces right away, there will be some 'adjustment' time for beginners.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Well you can finish a curriculum pretty quickly. Attaining skill in that curriculum is a whole different story.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

i need some help, im going to be starting at the Wing chun Kung fu next month, i want to know if anyone can give me any information on kung fu so i can be prepared, ive wanted to learn martail arts for awhile and i wanted to do kung fu but ive never donr it before.

i just want to be prepare with my mind and body because i know its going to be hard and im abit of a sensitive person, not fully sensitive but i really want to do this and i dont want to quit as soon as it gets hard.

im abit of a chubby guy, im 22 years old. all i want to know is how does the beginners course go, im going to this place

if any of you know this place and trained with them id like your opinion and anything you can prepare me for.
    You can't prepare for something you don't know about. You can't prepare for the future. You can only be in the moment and enjoy it and experience it for all it's worth.

Enjoy your new Kung-Fu journey.

Best,
    CTK
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    absorb, learn, enjoy. wouldn't look for an opinion on here really, form one for yourself, common sense is your best option when looking to try something new.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Don't worry and just do it. Your instructor will be aware that you are a beginner so provisions will be taken to ease you into the system.

One advice that I would give you is that look at this as a long term endeavor so be patient and have the what I call "school student" mentality. That is, just make sure you attend your classes as if you would when studying in an academic school.

When we are kids we don't decide wether we should go to school or not, we just do it as generally we have no choice. Use that same mindset, and attend regularly.

Once you start improving you can go on to research Wing Chun on your own by reading some good books on this sytem. This more knowledge should motivate you more as far as your day to day training is concerned.

As time goes on you can even investigate and research other kung fu styles, that will help you better understand your Wing Chun, and of course to provide you with possible future martial arts options when you eventually complete the Wing Chun system.

Go for it and good luck!

if you want to prepare in my opinion..look at your own question for answers. you said youre a bit of a chubby guy, then on your free time maybe try to get in more shape.

Beautiful. I'm sure whatever your needs are, the "Classroom Student Mentors" will be able to help you out with.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Well you can finish a curriculum pretty quickly. Attaining skill in that curriculum is a whole different story.
    That's very true.

And then there are the 30 year plans that keep sifu's rice bowl being refilled.

What do you hope to get out of your training?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Don't sweat it mate. Classes are intimidating at first as you expect everyone so be this super hard fighter...in reality there will be a lot of new people too. Most Classes should generally be run in a friendly 'we're all going in the same direction lets help each other' sort of mentality. If theres a really strong competition between students (one man journey etc) then I'd be dubious as it doesn't reflect well on the school.

But you'll be fine. Don't worry about the weight, you'll sweat that out in the first week lol

good luck

let us know how it goes

Craig