Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new to kung fu

Key attributes of a good Instructor:
    * Listening skills
    * Empathy
    * Humour
    * Rapport

If you find that the Instructor bombards you in your 1st lesson, then he has none of the above attributes, generally indicating that he is a 'knob head'.

Cheers
    Simon.
    “The best defence is a good offence”

thanks everyone for your posts and your advice, i really appreiciate your advice, its this saturday, i'll let you know how it goes.

thank you

is it true that kungfu can get you into shape and when it comes to disapline, how do they show the disapline in this, i dont mind either way, im just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerguy View Post
    is it true that kungfu can get you into shape and when it comes to disapline, how do they show the disapline in this, i dont mind either way, im just curious.
    No it's not true.. What is true is that eating right and regular quality exercise along with the will to do the work is what will get you into shape..

Any sport can teach us about ourselves.. The best thing you can do is forget all the myths of Kung-Fu and keep in mind what you want to get out of this..

If that thing is "self defense" then start doing the work of researching on-line and learn the truth about what SD is and what it takes... If you do that you will learn more by yourself than most schools will ever teach you..........
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

ok understandable

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    No it's not true.. What is true is that eating right and regular quality exercise along with the will to do the work is what will get you into shape..
    A good kung fu teacher will know a lot about the health and fitness aspect of kung fu training.

So, yes kung fu can get you into shape and make you fit and healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun
    Any sport can teach us about ourselves.. The best thing you can do is forget all the myths of Kung-Fu and keep in mind what you want to get out of this..
    Some of the "myths" of kung fu are true. The problem is that there are not many genuine kung fu schools that will teach you this art the way it was meant to be taught!

If that thing is "self defense" then start doing the work of researching on-line and learn the truth about what SD is and what it takes... If you do that you will learn more by yourself than most schools will ever teach you..........
    Yes, everybody knows that you don't ask your kung fu teacher about self defense, instead you learn about it on the internet from forums populated by kung fu-clueless, MMA knuckleheads and/or Pseudo-TCMA McKung fu-ists who have never been exposed to genuine kung fu training....

Chrit!

Where do you guys get your "'kung fu' information"? !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    A good kung fu teacher will know a lot about the health and fitness aspect of kung fu training.

So, yes kung fu can get you into shape and make you fit and healthy!
    Yes it will even make your teeth whiter..

And the fantasy would continue save the contradiction here..
    The problem is that there are not many genuine kung fu schools that will teach you this art the way it was meant to be taught!
    Right so actually no he meant his teacher..

Yes, everybody knows that you don't ask your kung fu teacher about self defense, instead you learn about it on the internet from forums populated by kung fu-clueless, MMA knuckleheads and/or Pseudo-TCMA McKung fu-ists who have never been exposed to genuine kung fu training....
    No I don't want him learning your way, that's really the point.

See he doesn't have your teacher who possesses the entire package containing the worlds knowledge of all things under the sun so we're back to:

The problem is that there are not many genuine kung fu schools that will teach you this art the way it was meant to be taught!
    The fact is that no "kung-fu" teacher (except for HW108 of course) or perhaps one in a billion -- will be teaching good kung-fu; have a good knowledge of physical fitness and dietitian/nutrition training, implement that into their program AND also cover all areas of modern self defense (except in the demented one's head). It does not exist and to suggest otherwise only reveals how naive and ignorant one is on the subject matter..

Even HW108 admits most KF teachers can't teach "real" Kung-Fu yet he will tell you they can teach you about two other giant areas of study.. Areas that people study specifically for years and still will normally specialize in because each area of study has many sub areas of specialty.. Put it all together and you'd need more than a single lifetime to develop real skill/knowledge in all these areas..

The Internet is simply the greatest research and learning tool known to man.. The entire wealth of man's knowledge is available on the net... Yes, there is misinformation and stupidity on the net, which is why folks need to study, research, corroborate information and take asinine posts like HW108's for what they are...

Anyone who really wants to learn about these things will sooner or later need to take charge of their own path -- do their own research and seek out many of those professionals in all these areas to learn from...

Or..........just ask your Sifu!!! LOL
    Last edited by YungChun; 06-04-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Kung Fu or any other martial art will NOT burn a significant number of calories or get you in hard condition. It's great for all kinds of stuff that you can't see with the naked eye. Speed, coordination, reflexes, chi, ging, etc. But if you think that you'll lose tons of weight and get rock hard like Bruce Lee just form Kung Fu, you are badly mistaken. Unfortunately, most traditional martial arts guys don't take conditioning very seriously and that's one of the main reasons why a lot of them suck so badly. A lot of traditional guys seem to be full of sour grapes when talking about guys who spend lots of time with conditioning. When is it ever an advantage to be fat? I don't care if you say your chi and ging are really good, being in shape is always better than not being in shape. Don't listen to the fatasses. If you want to be the best you can be, You MUST work hard on aerobic conditioning, flexibility, and strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Yes it will even make your teeth whiter..
    That is pure fantasy, and you know it....

And the fantasy would continue save the contradiction here..
    You see contradiction because you have no solid knowledge base as far as genuine kung fu training is concerned, and sadly, you are in "good" company in this forum!

Right so actually no he meant his teacher..
    Yes, I did!

I have trained under TWO great teachers, and I am not going to apologize for it to some clueless Mckung fu fodder, specially in a KUNG FU FORUM!!!

No I don't want him learning your way, that's really the point.
    Fortunately for him you don't represent Jack sh1t in the kung fu world. You are just a Mcdojo fodder who come to forum like this one and sell some pseudo kung fu or glorified kickboxing "wisdom" just to feel good about themselves......

I don't know you personally but I have come to the above conclusion from your own clueless and idiotic posts....

See he doesn't have your teacher who possesses the entire package containing the worlds knowledge of all things under the sun
    So knowing about certan health aspects, together with genuine kung fu knowledge is knowing "every thing under the sun"? Interesting.........

The minds of the cognitively challenged work in mysterious ways, it seems.....

so we're back to:

The fact is that no "kung-fu" teacher (except for HW108 of course) or perhaps one in a billion -- will be teaching good kung-fu; have a good knowledge of physical fitness and dietitian/nutrition training, implement that into their program AND also cover all areas of modern self defense

This may be news to you, obviously because you don't really practice authentic kung fu, but traditionally many kung fu sifus and masters were well versed in medicine and other areas of study, sometimes referred to as "the Five Excellences". Look it up and you will see, if it is not too much pressure for your "brain", that is.....

Seriously, you are lucky that most people posting here don't know zilch about traditional kung fu methodologies or you and many others (you know who you are!) would be laughed off this forum because of your idiotic and clueless posts!

(except in the demented one's head).
    It seems that your kung fu-cluelessness, is showing you to be the demented one!

It does not exist and to suggest otherwise only reveals how naive and ignorant one is on the subject matter..
    You mean more ignorant and naive than you are coming across, at the moment?

Even HW108 admits most KF teachers can't teach "real" Kung-Fu yet he will tell you they can teach you about two other giant areas of study..
    Maybe they are giant areas of study for people with small brains, such as yours?

Areas that people study specifically for years and still will normally specialize in because each area of study has many sub areas of specialty..
    Or they are areas that can be studied in context of one's art incorporating kung fu philosophies and sciences such as the Yin and Yang theory and approach to health, as well as combat; acupuncture studies, for health as well as combat; Internal training for health, as well as combat; herbal medicine training for health as well as combat injury medication, and I hope that even you are realizing where I am going with this.....

[You are lucky that I took the time to explain the above, as usually I don't waste my precious time with clueless internet pseudo-kung fu-ists!]

Put it all together and you'd need more than a single lifetime to develop real skill/knowledge in all these areas..
    Personally, I am amazed that you have learned to type on a keyboard within only one lifetime....

The Internet is simply the greatest research and learning tool known to man..
    I bow to your real kung fu "sifu"....

The entire wealth of man's knowledge is available on the net...
    I humbly believe that you should first focus on improving your none-existant kung fu knowledge, before worrying about the rest of the wealth of man's knowledge.....

Yes, there is misinformation and stupidity on the net, which is....
    .....where your current post comes in.....LOL.

In light of what I have said about health and fitness within the scope of genuine kung fu training, you must be really feeling like an idiot right now (not to mention, looking like one).....and it serves you right for your unprovoked rudeness!

why folks need to study, research, corroborate information and take asinine posts like HW108's for what they are...
    Well, right about now, anyone reading this thread will know that your clueless post is the asinine one.....LOL

Anyone who really wants to learn about these things will sooner or later need to take charge of their own path -- do their own research and seek out many of those professionals in all these areas to learn from...

Or..........just ask your Sifu!!! LOL
    That (the bold phrase) is the only correct statement that you have made in your whole post, and even that was a bit lacking.

Let me help you....those who want to learn genuine kung fu which will include health and fitness aspects within its scope of training (no matter what clueless internet-fu-ists [such as yourself] advise them) can do so by finding genuine kung fu sifus who can teach you a given style(s) holistically. Health and fitness are inbuilt aspects of authentic kung fu training.

No one says finding a genuine kung fu sifu is easy, specially in current times where the world is infested with Mcdojos/kwoons, not to mention their clueless students.

The only hint I can give is for anyone looking for authentic training, to avoid training under Yung Chun's "sifu"!

There, another good deed for today.

Enjoy your "path"!
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 06-14-2010 at 05:02 AM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

That is pure fantasy, and you know it....

You see contradiction because you have no solid knowledge base as far as genuine kung fu training is concerned, and sadly, you are in "good" company in this forum!

Yes, I did!

I have trained under TWO great teachers, and I am not going to apologize for it to some clueless Mckung fu fodder, specially in a KUNG FU FORUM!!!

Fortunately for him you don't represent Jack sh1t in the kung fu world. You are just a Mcdojo fodder who come to forum like this one and sell some pseudo kung fu or glorified kickboxing "wisdom" just to feel good about themselves......

I don't know you personally but I have come to the above conclusion from your own clueless and idiotic posts....

So knowing about certan health aspects, together with genuine kung fu knowledge is knowing "every thing under the sun"? Interesting.........

The minds of the cognitively challenged work in mysterious ways, it seems.....

This may be news to you, obviously because you don't really practice authentic kung fu, but traditionally many kung fu sifus and masters were well versed in medicine and other areas of study, sometimes referred to as "the Five Excellences". Look it up and you will see, if it is not too much pressure for your "brain", that is.....

Seriously, you are lucky that most people posting here don't know zilch about traditional kung fu methodologies or you and many others (you know who you are!) would be laughed off this forum because of your idiotic and clueless posts!

It seems that your kung fu-cluelessness, is showing you to be the demented one!

You mean more ignorant and naive than you are coming across, at the moment?

Maybe they are giant areas of study for people with small brains, such as yours?

Or they are areas that can be studied in context of one's art incorporating kung fu philosophies and sciences such as the Yin and Yang theory and approach to health, as well as combat; acupuncture studies, for health as well as combat; Internal training for health, as well as combat; herbal medicine training for health as well as combat injury medication, and I hope that even you are realizing where I am going with this.....

[You are lucky that I took the time to explain the above, as usually I don't waste my precious time with clueless internet pseudo-kung fu-ists!]

Personally, I am amazed that you have learned to type on a keyboard within only one lifetime....

I bow to your real kung fu "sifu"....

I humbly believe that you should first focus on improving your none-existant kung fu knowledge, before worrying about the rest of the wealth of mans knowledge.....

.....where your current post comes in.....LOL. In light of what I have said about health and fitness within the scope of genuine kung fu training, you must be really be feeling like an idiot right now (not to mention, looking like one).....and it serves you right for your unprovoked rudeness!

Well, right about now, anyone reading this thread will know that your clueless post is the asinine one.....LOL

That (the bold phrase) is the only correct statement that you have made in your whole post, and even that was a bit lacking.

Let me help you....those who want to learn genuine kung fu which will include health and fitness aspects within its scope of training (no matter what clueless internet-fu-ists [such as yourself] tell you) can do so by finding genuine kung fu sifus who can teach you a given style(s) holistically. Health and fitness are inbuilt aspects of authentic kung fu training.

No one says finding a genuine kung fu sifu is easy, specially in current times where the world is infested with Mcdojos/kwoons. The only hint I can give is for anyone looking for authentic training, to avoid training under Yung Chun's "sifu"!

There, another good deed for today.

Enjoy your "path"!
    nope much better to go learn from an authentic master like HW...oh wait he has not had a proper master and not finished a single style so doesn;t know what a complete real system looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    nope much better to go learn from an authentic master like HW...oh wait he has not had a proper master and not finished a single style so doesn;t know what a complete real system looks like
    ...Yet, I still know more than you, and the likes of you, will ever know....

And honestly speaking, that is not a difficult achievement by any measure.

So, go ahead and gang up to protect your none existant knowledge status here in the forums, as all you will do is, as always, show your cluelessness by shooting yourselves in the foot, just like our friend Yung Chun did in his last post....LOL

...Yet, I still know more than you, and the likes of you, will ever know....

And honestly speaking, that is not a difficult achievement by any measure.

So, go ahead and gang up to protect your none existant knowledge status here in the forums, as all you will do is, as always, show your cluelessness by shooting yourselves in the foot, just like our friend Yung Chun did in his last post....LOL
    lol sure you do, you know more than myself, yung chun, david ross, sanjorin and countless others, quite an achievment for someone who only trained for a few years under a sparten and now gets all his training from kung fu movies

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    lol sure you do, you know more than myself, yung chun, david ross, sanjorin and countless others, quite an achievment for someone who only trained for a few years under a sparten and now gets all his training from kung fu movies
    Why do you cross training knuckleheads always lie and slander when you are shown to be hopelessly clueless and lacking in kung fu knowledge?

Hey, wait a minute, I just answered my own question....LOL

Why do you cross training knuckleheads always lie and slander when you are shown to be hopelessly clueless and lacking in kung fu knowledge?

Hey, wait a minute, I just answered my own question....LOL
    ok so which part was a lie... did you not train with someone who is now living the sparten life....and at the moment are you not without a teacher?