Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dude check it out -- rooting tables?!

Dude check it out -- rooting tables?!

Rocking/Rooting tables

So the question is: do you feel they can actually increase one's ability to "root"?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I suppose that it teaches people something, but I doubt that it is very related to fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Rocking/Rooting tables

So the question is: do you feel they can actually increase one's ability to "root"?
    "Rooting" is nonsense. So do you really want to increase your ability to perform nonsense?

Rocking/Rooting tables

Disclaimer: I personally know the person who designed and built those rocking tables.

Although I have not used the actual rocking tables he has built, I have used a variety improvised tools to increase instability when trying to balance within the context of my training, rehabilitation, and just plain screwing around. My conclusion is those tables will work for their intended purpose of improving a person's dynamic balance.

Still, as some will argue, whether someone feels their intended purpose is useful or that there is a better way to acheive their intended purpose is another discussion entirely.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Rocking/Rooting tables

I am pretty sure that I did some sparring with one of his brown sashes. I didn't notice anything unique about his WC that I would attribute to rooting tables.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    "Rooting" is nonsense. So do you really want to increase your ability to perform nonsense?
    Rooting is just the way some folks refer to ground connection.. So what?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Lame. Indo boards would be cheaper and more challenging. All that bosu ball and instability stuff is questionable in any case.

Might be worth it if you're looking for a challenge match on rolling logs in the middle of a lake.

So do you really want to increase your ability to perform nonsense?
    Producing nonsense on this forum seems to be your mission,T, maybe there's something there for you.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

C'mon guys, stop being boring old bozos, these tables thingies look fun!

PS: The kung fu flick song playing the background is a nice touch, lol

interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    Rooting is just the way some folks refer to ground connection.. So what?
    No, it is a way that some people theorize how they should be connected to the ground. And it is nonsense. It's one of those "concepts" that only interferes with your development.

No, it is a way that some people theorize how they should be connected to the ground. And it is nonsense. It's one of those "concepts" that only interferes with your development.
    No, it simply refers to the connection to the ground to maximise effective strength.

It can be explained through direct manipulation of the centre of mass. Rooting is simply a piece of jargon which you're picking on.

The idea itself is not nonsense, but different groups can have different uses of language which is likely where the confusion arises.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

I personally feel that it describes the way to maintain one's stance, balance, and power lines; because as we all know that one cannot be truly connected the ground.

The whole idea behind what you see with visualizing roots of a tree for example is because the mind uses imagery to lead the body. It is the most raw method of the mind-body connection. Mental words (thinking to yourself) came later and was a learned.

For example, when a baby doesn't want to be picked up, it somehow becomes heavier, and vice versa when it does want to be picked up. Did the baby think to itself "I don't want to be picked up"? No because it can't speak yet. Did the weight actually change? Nope. What the baby did was become dead weight so-to-speak using only its desire of knowing it wanted to be on the ground.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

NY Rangers ice hockey team uses a swiss/gym ball to simply try and stand on for stabilizing exercises ...think it is a little harder than the 'rockers' , but same idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dngEImCV7ZI you can add this to it....

and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbqIo...eature=related

and more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFpPZCqbPw&feature=fvw

rolling jj training http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrm7h...eature=related
    Last edited by k gledhill; 05-24-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    NY Rangers ice hockey team uses a swiss/gym ball to simply try and stand on for stabilizing exercises ...think it is a little harder than the 'rockers' , but same idea.
    exactly, because the ball has additional degrees of freedom for its movement.

On another note, T, this bear has better skills than you it would seem. And a similar proclivity for its foot to be in its mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghgg_fukbvU
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

personal trainers can easily add 'core/stability' work by simply asking the client to take one foot off the floor while doing cable tower workouts.

Old school VT as begginers we learned kicking and part of the training was that we stood on one leg for 3 minutes minimum. Adding one legged pushing the other guy standing on one leg trying to push you over using your lifted foot , while chasing after each other on one leg.......until one drops leg/loses balance...swap legs.

the one legged SLT , classic. need the entry level 3 min beginners do before this each arm should take 5 minutes minimum

i have to try SLT on a gym ball ....on one leg hah !! theres achallenge.

gives good balance control.

BTW the Bear isnt bad ; )
    Last edited by k gledhill; 05-24-2010 at 09:20 PM.