Thread: Advise from TCM guys -- shoulder joints popping / grinding

Advise from TCM guys -- shoulder joints popping / grinding

Do you guys know anything about shoulder joint grinding and popping? There's no pain at the moment and it's been this way for years probably, just that as time goes on the popping gets louder and more prominent.

I'm thinking its just wear and tear from all the punching and working out and what not. Are there any remedies that I can take part in to help this?

I'm starting to stretch them, and have read that sometimes doing too much chest workouts without enough back workouts can be the problem as well.

Any thoughts?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

go get a thorough screen by a GOOD orthopedist - like one who specializes in athletic shoulders, not old-lady's hip replacements; the thing you want to make sure is that you don't have a labral / ligament tear of some sort that is causing some excess movement in the glenohumeral joint (TBH, that sort of thing is not my area of relative expertise, so I'm speaking in a very general sense - I don't know if u do hav a tear or not); of course, u could also get evaluated by a GOOD sports-oriented PT or certified athletic trainer, also a physiatrist could b good too (physical medicine and rehab MD); a GOOD osteopath might also shed some light on it for you;

your history of injury / usage probably would give some insite as to the likelyhood of the above as well

and yes, in general, it's not a great idea to over train pecs / biceps at the expense of middle / lower traps and rhomboids; but that is also in a general overall postural balance sense, not just in regards to specific shoulder pathology

I echo Chris' advice.

go see a medical/physical body expert and find out what is going on with you.

Once you get a diagnosis, you can get some PT if needed, and if you are having pain you can then seek out a decent Acupuncturist/Herbalist to help with that. Even though I am an acupuncturist/herbalist in training, I understand the limitations of my scope of practice. I would not assume to even attempt to treat certain conditions only with Chinese Medicine.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    and if you are having pain you can then seek out a decent Acupuncturist/Herbalist to help with that. Even though I am an acupuncturist/herbalist in training, I understand the limitations of my scope of practice. I would not assume to even attempt to treat certain conditions only with Chinese Medicine.
    thanks Dale - I forgot to add this - yes, by all means, having been assessed as I suggested, certainly look into TCM, as it can help with things like local / systemic inflammation, tissue repair, pain control, etc.; but like any medial modality, the treatment is typically only as good as the practitioner who renders it, so caveat emptor;

Chris,

You are correct.

You want to find people that are good at what they do.

And to the OP, are you in San Antonio? If you are, then I would suggest you go visit friend of mine who is an incredible doctor of Chinese Medicine. Gary Stier, OMD.

You can contact him at Dr. Gary Stier, O.M.D.

172 Augusta Drive

Wimberley/Woodcreek, Texas 78676

Phone/Fax: (515) 847-8188

E-mail: drstier@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 05-27-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Advice*... Looking for Advice, not advise.

Advice <> Advise

Let me advise you on how to seek proper advice.

Sorry, pet peeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Chris,

You are correct.

You want to find people that are good at what they do.

And to the OP, are you in San Antonio? If you are, then I would suggest you go visit friend of mine who is an incredible doctor of Chinese Medicine. Gary Stier, OMD.

You can contact him at Dr. Gary Stier, O.M.D.

172 Augusta Drive

Wimberley/Woodcreek, Texas 78676

Phone/Fax: (515) 847-8188

E-mail: drstier@hotmail.com
    Thanks for the recommendation!

No pain and I can train without issues. But I'm concerned because well...if it wasn't there before then something has changed or gotten worn out. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else except the guy who wanted to nitpick about a typo.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."