Thread: Liuhe Bafa's experience?

Liuhe Bafa's experience?

The three internal arts, TC, XY and BZ are quite well know for imparting excellent fighting skills on an experienced and dedicated practitioner. There even exist many records, accounts and even Videos of many great masters in these styles, showing their skills, if not in real fighting environment, then at least in a demo setup. But I have never heard about LHBF's efficiency as a martial art. Yet its also quite famous by now.

Can anyone point out any video where LFBF skills and techniques are demonstrated? Also, does anyone have any experience touching hands with Wai Lun Choi, who, I suppose, is the most famous practitioner of the art.

When Yiquan founder Wang Xiang Zhai started taking on people to test out his theories and apply his concepts on people, he defeated many people.

One of the people that he did not best was Wu Yi Hui, a Liuhebafa master.

Shifu Wang then sent people to Wu Yi Hui to learn from after that.

I gleamed this information from Shifu Khan Fox's updated book that he has self published. If you are interested in buying a copy from Shifu Fox, you can find his website at http://waterspirit6x8.tripod.com/

Shifu Fox learned orginally from Shifu John Li who taught Liuhebafa in Boston for many years. Shifu Li taught liuhebafa and also taught yiquan standing as he was exposed to that system as well.

I have never touched hands with Shifu Choi but have heard his hand is very high.

My advice is to visit Shifu Fox's site and see about getting his book. It is packed to the gills with information about this style. Shifu Fox has been researching and training Liuhebafa as well as standing for many years.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by hajimesaito View Post
    The three internal arts, TC, XY and BZ are quite well know for imparting excellent fighting skills on an experienced and dedicated practitioner. There even exist many records, accounts and even Videos of many great masters in these styles, showing their skills, if not in real fighting environment, then at least in a demo setup. But I have never heard about LHBF's efficiency as a martial art. Yet its also quite famous by now.

Can anyone point out any video where LFBF skills and techniques are demonstrated? Also, does anyone have any experience touching hands with Wai Lun Choi, who, I suppose, is the most famous practitioner of the art.
    I have met Wai Lun Choi on a few occasions (about 15 or so years ago) and he is a fighter. He has represented LHBF well. I believe he retired some years ago. I have no recent information on him. I have never studied with him.
    It is rare to find a martial LHBF practitioner and when the many show their art, it is performance only so if studying with such a person, try to assess their level of skill before you pay big bucks for gymnastic aesthetic pajama art(s). If that is your goal then it is great!

I played at a tournament about 5 years ago (Chicago area) and there were a few LHBF performers so they are still around.

Greetings..

I have 'crossed-hands' with Wai Lun Choi.. as part of a weekend workshop so many years ago.. he is an 'Authentic Presence', already there before 'arriving'.. one of the experiences that shaped my direction toward the more 'traditional' internal skills.. i was still 'young' in the arts at the time, but.. a 'presence' like that is very powerful, very genuine.. i wish i had had the wisdom to pursue his teaching, but.. hind-sight is 20-20..

Wei Lun Huang's LHBF is somewhat different, but.. he has a similar presence, not as 'mature', but identifiable..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Wai Lun CHoi also has lineage in Lama Pai; my understanding is that he is the "real deal"

ttt for 2015

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Gene, how much do you know about this form? I have heard that there is one long version of this form but that was talk three different ways. Apparently, there was a form taught for money, a form taught to the general public, and a form taught to the disciples. I recently started training with a group who has one of the forms, or at least some version of it. apparently, there are many forms that have been added to the style since its inception however, the only true form is the main one. I'm trying to trace a version of the form that was taught to chee kim thong, which he passed to one disciple, so in turn passed it to one disciple.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Aw, I just answered this on the PM you sent me...

The funny thing was I was about to refer you to this thread.

As you've called me out here, I'll repeat my reply. I've heard the '$ vs. public vs. indoor' notion with many other lineages, but not with LHBF before. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I haven't heard it. There's a lot of variation within lineages. And while there are definitely differences between what is shown to indoor disciples versus others, this often feels more like a marketing ploy, the ol' 'we got the realz' pitch. There is certainly secrecy in transmissions, but when you really get down to it, the teacher only opens the door - the student must go through. And those that go all the way through are usually dedicated enough to become disciples. When a teacher gets a good student, they usually pour as much into them as they can, mostly because that's so rare.

But to be honest, I've never studied LHBF at all, so perhaps some other forum member who is within the LHBF inner circles is better equipped to answer this.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The three variations I mentioned - money, disciple and public didn't come from the instructor. I found that online explain the variation in the form. All this instructor knows is that it came from chee kim thong. I know it's not a marketing ploy, as there are so few people who know the form.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter