Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum + moving to So.Cal.

New to the forum + moving to So.Cal.

Nimen hao!

I've been into kung fu for about 6 years now. Dabbled in many, many styles (eagle claw, shaolin, hung ga, choi lai fut, tai chi, baijiquan, ba gua, etc) tho my most consistent has been wing chun (yip chun lineage if anyone cares). Been living and practicing in Albany/NYC mostly though 2 years ago I was in Texas and practiced with a guy who used to write for this magazine, way back in the day.

Anyways, I'm moving to southern California this August, specifically Riverside. I've looked online for schools in the area but mostly what I've found is San Shoo. Driving into LA is ~2 hours and is kind of out of the question...so I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any good, traditional schools in that area. In particular I'd love to continue CLF or Ba Gua/BaiJi.

I didn't see any new people forum so I hope this was ok to post here!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    Nimen hao!

I've been into kung fu for about 6 years now. Dabbled in many, many styles (eagle claw, shaolin, hung ga, choi lai fut, tai chi, baijiquan, ba gua, etc) tho my most consistent has been wing chun (yip chun lineage if anyone cares). Been living and practicing in Albany/NYC mostly though 2 years ago I was in Texas and practiced with a guy who used to write for this magazine, way back in the day.

Anyways, I'm moving to southern California this August, specifically Riverside. I've looked online for schools in the area but mostly what I've found is San Shoo. Driving into LA is ~2 hours and is kind of out of the question...so I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any good, traditional schools in that area. In particular I'd love to continue CLF or Ba Gua/BaiJi.

I didn't see any new people forum so I hope this was ok to post here!

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Riverside is where Rudy Abel's school is, I think. But he doesn't visit here much anymore. Not sure where it's located. He teaches some sort of monkey and long fist.

There is korean-lineage longfist school in Riverside called Na's Kung Fu Academy. It's a blend of longfist and mantis. The line comes through Lin Pan Zhang.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-27-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Welcome to the forum

Believe it or not, but past all the BS topics that are served regularly by KFMs large community of trolls, there are actually some decent informative posts here...

enjoy...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Riverside is where Rudy Abel's school is, I think. But he doesn't visit here much anymore. Not sure where it's located. He teaches some sort of monkey and long fist.

There is korean-lineage longfist school in Riverside called Na's Kung Fu Academy. It's a blend of longfist and mantis. The line comes through Lin Pan Zhang.
    Reply]
    Rudy actually moved to Florida about 2 years ago. He asked me to reply as he is permabanned forever for angering Gene somehow.

He teaches Tai Jow Chune Kune Pai, a Sothernised form of northern Tai Tzu Chang Chuan; most likely descended from some branch of the Song military. The particular branch of Monkey he does is related to his Tai jow/Tai Tzu.

I don't know if he has any active students still in the area. I can ask if you like.

it lives!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

go away...

there's no room left on these forums for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Reply]
    Rudy actually moved to Florida about 2 years ago. He asked me to reply as he is permabanned forever for angering Gene somehow.

He teaches Tai Jow Chune Kune Pai, a Sothernised form of northern Tai Tzu Chang Chuan; most likely descended from some branch of the Song military. The particular branch of Monkey he does is related to his Tai jow/Tai Tzu.

I don't know if he has any active students still in the area. I can ask if you like.
    That would be really awesome if you ask. Thanks!

He says he does not have anyone of instructor level there, just former students who still dabble in the style.

so cal is huge.

LA county, orange, san diego, river side--

--

---

Talking How about Southern Kung Fu?

One of my kung fu brothers has a school in Riverside but he specializes in Southern Preying Mantis and Wing Chun. PM me if you are interested.

I hope that helps.

Just as an add in.

There are more people in the state of California alone than all the people across the nation of Canada combined.

you really shouldn't have trouble finding kung fu lessons in california. :-)

gene banned rudy because he wasn't zen enough.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i think rudy is a pretty cool guy
    he fite mma and not afraid anything

I don't mind Rudy either. He's had some very constructive discussions. It's not my forum though and I'm not Gene, so that is that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

gene
    stop being a peenisbutt and unban rudy