Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JULY AUGUST 2010: The Karate Kid cover story

JULY AUGUST 2010: The Karate Kid cover story

Gotta admit, the article is well written. I have been pretty ****ed off at this film, not just because of the remake (I understand it was remade a few years ago as Never Back Down) but because of the title itself. I understand classics get remade, and Hollywood will do what it can for a quick buck.

The main reason I was so much against this film (several of my friends asked if I would see it with them and I laughed as my response), was obviously the way they spit on Karate and Kung Fu. If it had simply been titled the Kung Fu Kid it would have made more sense, or Kung Fu Dream like the working title in China.

However I was unaware that the director decided to say "Alright in order to make it called the Karate Kid let's have one of the bullies call him that" and so the name came from it (or if it wasn't the director's idea whoever it was). So his nick name is the Karate kid.

However, part of me gets the impression now that they are basically saying Karate is ineffective against Kung Fu?

Either way, the article put some seeds of doubt in my mind that the film wasn't going to be utter garbage. The chances of me seeing it in theatres went from 0% to something higher than 0%. What % that is, I dunno yet. I will wait for it to come out and see what reviews say of it.
    I have a signature.

Thanks Philbert

I don't think it will be about Karate being ineffective against Kung Fu. I think it will be bad karate being ineffective against good kung fu. But we'll see. I'm going to a screener in a few days and will report back here.

P.S. I took the liberty of modifying your title because I'm anal like that.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

copy in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by PHILBERT View Post
    Gotta admit, the article is well written. I have been pretty ****ed off at this film, not just because of the remake (I understand it was remade a few years ago as Never Back Down) but because of the title itself. I understand classics get remade, and Hollywood will do what it can for a quick buck.

The main reason I was so much against this film (several of my friends asked if I would see it with them and I laughed as my response), was obviously the way they spit on Karate and Kung Fu. If it had simply been titled the Kung Fu Kid it would have made more sense, or Kung Fu Dream like the working title in China.

However I was unaware that the director decided to say "Alright in order to make it called the Karate Kid let's have one of the bullies call him that" and so the name came from it (or if it wasn't the director's idea whoever it was). So his nick name is the Karate kid.

However, part of me gets the impression now that they are basically saying Karate is ineffective against Kung Fu?

Either way, the article put some seeds of doubt in my mind that the film wasn't going to be utter garbage. The chances of me seeing it in theatres went from 0% to something higher than 0%. What % that is, I dunno yet. I will wait for it to come out and see what reviews say of it.
    soooo Phil, you have your copy in Texas... what about the rest of us?????
    .... Skip

come on now, Skip J.

Don't start that again. You know, I just got two issues of Rolling Stone on the same week. One was late obviously. Subscription fulfillment is imperfect, even on their level. I'll mention that there was a slight delay in shipping this issue. It was only two days of a delay, so it shouldn't have that much impact on delivery. My apologies if yours is late again.

There's a subsidiary thread about an article in this issue on the main forum - Fight Like an Animal article
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The table of contents is now online

Check it out - 2010 July/August

This issue is hitting the newsstands right about now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    soooo Phil, you have your copy in Texas... what about the rest of us?????
    Bought it at the book store Saturday. My subscription ran out a few months ago and I forgot to get it updated. So I was in the book store Saturday and picked up the last 2 issues. I then renewed my subscription online later that evening and bought some DVDs for the $10 off.

Also, Dallas, Texas just rules.
    I have a signature.

ha ha ha...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Don't start that again. You know, I just got two issues of Rolling Stone on the same week. One was late obviously. Subscription fulfillment is imperfect, even on their level. I'll mention that there was a slight delay in shipping this issue. It was only two days of a delay, so it shouldn't have that much impact on delivery. My apologies if yours is late again.

There's a subsidiary thread about an article in this issue on the main forum - Fight Like an Animal article
    Sorry Gene; don't take it seriously!!!!

I forget sometimes that tongue-in-cheek style is not really so obvious off the keyboard as spoken words...

Truthfully, I could really care less when it comes; I'm gonna enjoy reading it anyway. You just have no idea how many subscriptions I have let run out....

I always have to search out the internal article (or two). But they are always first class.. maybe I'll learn how to write one myself...

You write it... I'll read it!
    .... Skip

soon

Bought it at the book store Saturday. My subscription ran out a few months ago and I forgot to get it updated. So I was in the book store Saturday and picked up the last 2 issues. I then renewed my subscription online later that evening and bought some DVDs for the $10 off.

Also, Dallas, Texas just rules.
    Uh huh; well I'm gonna be there soon....
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by skip j. View Post
    uh huh; well i'm gonna be there soon....
    A/S/L?

Only typing this part to make it over 10 characters :-p
    I have a signature.

greek....

A/S/L?

Only typing this part to make it over 10 characters :-p
    Sorry; at my advanced age... that sounds like greek to me. Other than coming up to the Legacy and taking a class from Gene.. I was born and raised in the Dallas area. Didn't move way down here until 1980....
    .... Skip

Jakcie Chan

Soooo... mine came yesterday, Jackie Chan on the cover and everything....
    .... Skip

Yay!

Let us know if it was worth the wait...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

oh yeah...

Let us know if it was worth the wait...
    Hey Gene;

Absolutely!

Excellent article on Jackie.... us unwashed heathen had no idea he had made so many movies......... good to hear that he is moving on to some with content.... I'm not a fan of the comedy stuff myself....

I need to read some of those internal articles before I get away....
    .... Skip

unwashed heathens... haaaaaaaaa

Jackie has made a staggering amount of movies. The American version of Jackie can't begin to compare with the Chinese version.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

pun intended

Jackie has made a staggering amount of movies. The American version of Jackie can't begin to compare with the Chinese version.
    While many post-europeans have used those words, I think you would agree that actually Chinese culture is much older.... I'm just tryin' to polish up my turn-of-phraseology......

All kidding aside... there are times when hip deep in our local culture that I feel like we are unwashed and heathen.........
    .... Skip