Thread: WHF Lanjie Translation

WHF Lanjie Translation

Recently I translated the quanpu for the Lanjie form found in the back of the WHF Cha Chui/Chop Choy book.
    The English translation is followed by the Mandarin transliteration.
    Corrections or alternate translations are welcome.

01. Four Level Twins Store Power
    shi ping shuang xu shi
    02. Ride Horse Pattern Lifting Palm
    qi ma shi tiao zhang
    03. Seven Star Right Split Palm
    qi xing you pi zhang
    04. Left Right Double Wicked Hand
    zuo you shuang diao shou
    05. Enter Ring Double Stamp Palm
    ru huan shuang tun zhang
    06. Elbow Underneath Left Watch Claw
    zhou di zuo kan zhua
    07. Elbow Underneath Right Watch Claw
    zhou di you kan zhua
    08. Seven Star Front Rear Palm
    qi xing qian hou zhang
    09. Elbow Underneath Left Watch Claw
    zhou di zuo kan zhua
    10. Elbow Underneath Right Watch Claw
    zhou di you kan zhua
    11. Enter Ring Right Colliding Claw
    ru huan you zhuang zhua
    12. Seven Star Front Rear Palm
    qi xing qian hou zhang
    13. Enter Ring Double Stamp Palm
    ru huan shuang tun zhang
    14. Ascend Mountain Single Thrust Palm
    deng shan dan cha zhang
    15. Ascend Mountain Right Insert Strike
    deng shan you bu chui
    16. Exit Flock Right Thrust Leg
    chu qun you deng tui
    17. Falling Force Right Fold Elbow
    die shi you die zhou
    18. Seven Star Double Strike Palm
    qi xing shuang ji zhang
    19. Advance Method Return Colliding Claw
    jin shi fan chong zhua
    20. Elbow Underneath Left Watch Claw
    zhou di zuo kan zhua
    21. Elbow Underneath Right Watch Claw
    zhou di you kan zhua
    22. Leave Step Left File Strike
    zou bu zuo cuo chui
    23. Leave Step Right File Strike
    zou bu you cuo chui
    24. Horse Pattern Reverse Catch Cicada
    ma shi fan bu chan
    25. Left Circle Right Thrust Leg
    zuo quan you deng tui
    26. Ascend Mountain Left Crush Step
    deng shan zuo beng bu
    27. Seven Star Left Wicked Hand
    qi xing zuo diao shou
    28. Seven Star Right Insert Strike
    qi xing you bu chui
    29. Vertical Jump Right Split Stop
    zong tiao you pi ga
    30. Vertical Jump Double Grab Hand
    zong tiao shuang feng shou
    31. Single Leg Right Fold Elbow
    du li you die zhou
    32. Coiling Palm Right Rolling Arm
    rao zhang you gun pang
    33. Enter Ring Left Rolling Arm
    ru huan zuo gun pang
    34. Enter Ring Right Rolling Arm
    ru huan you gun pang
    35. Ride Horse Pattern Carry Palm
    qi ma shi tiao zhang

I believe number 27 in the book is incorrect and should read: Seven Star Left Wicked Hand qi xing zuo diao shou.

I hope someone finds this helpful!

Richard A. Tolson
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 06-02-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Hi Richard,

I think it's great you have undertaken this task of translating the WHF quanpu. Here are some suggestions for alternate translations of some of the terminology.

02. 挑掌 - tiao zhang : 'Tiao' in this case has more of a lifting or flicking upward movement. 'Carry' has a passive or less dynamic connotation. We usually say 'lifting palm'.

04. 刁手 - diao shou : I see many people translate 刁手 as 'wicked hand'. This is the quitessential mantis hook technique. We would normally just translate as "mantis hook".

16. 蹬腿 - deng tui : I would simply translate as 'Thrust Kick'.

22. , 23. 走步 - zou bu : While 'zou' is often used to mean 'leave' as in 'to go', it is because the word literally means 'to walk'. So while in company and someone says, "zou le" - it means 'let's walk' or in other sense 'let's go' as in leave. Anyway, in Cantonese in particular, 'zou' means to run which in the case of this move explains it directly. "Running Step".

25. 左圈左蹬腿 - zuo quan zuo deng tui : This should be a left thrust kick, not right. If your book says 'you deng tui', then that is a misprint.

26. 登山左崩搥(捶) - deng shan zuo beng chui : This should be a backfist. Most commonly we use 崩捶 although I have seen it as 崩搥 as well to show the action.

27. You are correct in assuming the book is misprinted. It is a left diao shou.

Have you had a chance to learn this form from a qualified teacher? It would help you when translating the quanpu to know the form. There are a few misprints in the published WHF material as you have discovered.

Best wishes in your continued training.

Vance Young
    朱 超 然 螳 螂 武 術 學 院
    Tony Chuy's Praying Mantis Martial Arts Institute
    http://www.northernmantis.com

Vance,

Thanks for your alternate, and I believe better, translations!
    Yes, I do know the form. I just went for a very literal translation. For example diao shou as "wicked hand" rather than the implied "mantis hand".

Number 2: I was told that the reason this was translated "carry palm" is because it looks like one is carrying a long square beam on the shoulder with the hand steadying the end. Though I can certainly see the application in the term "lifting palm".

Number 25 is incorrect in the book, which I should have caught. Thanks for your keen eye!

Number 26: I never translate beng chui as "backfist", since I don't want the reader to confuse the move with a karate style backfist done on a horizontal plane. Though technically in Qixing Tanglang, unlike the Tai Ji Tanglang and Tai JI Mei Hua Tanglang I have seen, beng chui can be used as a flicking type of strike on a vertical plane. My instructor emphasized that type of motion.

Number 29, 30: "trace jump" seems awkward for zong tiao. Any better ideas?

Number 31: What did you think of "independent" for du li? I know it can also mean "stand alone". Do you have a better interpretation of the phrase du li?

Thanks again for your refinements!
    I am always open to honest and constructive criticism.
    Richard A. Tolson
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 06-01-2010 at 06:14 PM.

BTW, my reference works for this translation were:

A Pocket Dictionary of Cantonese by Roy T. Cowles

Concise English - Chinese Chinese - English Dictionary by Martin H. Manser

Richard A. Tolson

Hi Richard,

Additional comments:

29. , 30. 縱跳 - zong tiao : I wasn't sure what to make of your translation of this at first. But I think I understand what happened. I believe you translated 蹤 which I see in some dictionaries as "footprint, trace". 縱 however is how it is listed in the quanpu and it should be translated as "vertical".

31. 獨立 - du li : This is short for 金雞獨立 (Golden Rooster Standing on One Leg). This is an almost universal name for the single leg stance used by almost every Chinese style. WHF abbreviates it to 獨立 to keep with his naming convention of the quanpu.

I understand the difficulty of going full literal translation or implied meaning. Depending on the technique, situation, and/or student, one can be better than the other. Good effort though.

Vance
    朱 超 然 螳 螂 武 術 學 院
    Tony Chuy's Praying Mantis Martial Arts Institute
    http://www.northernmantis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Young Mantis View Post
    Hi Richard,

Additional comments:

29. , 30. 縱跳 - zong tiao : I wasn't sure what to make of your translation of this at first. But I think I understand what happened. I believe you translated 蹤 which I see in some dictionaries as "footprint, trace". 縱 however is how it is listed in the quanpu and it should be translated as "vertical".

31. 獨立 - du li : This is short for 金雞獨立 (Golden Rooster Standing on One Leg). This is an almost universal name for the single leg stance used by almost every Chinese style. WHF abbreviates it to 獨立 to keep with his naming convention of the quanpu.

I understand the difficulty of going full literal translation or implied meaning. Depending on the technique, situation, and/or student, one can be better than the other. Good effort though.

Vance
    Vance,

29, 30 Yep, I totally confused the two when I looked up "zong" in the dictionary. That should teach me to do this too late at night. LOL!

31. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification! Looking back at the thirteen translations of the WHF quanpu that I have done in the past, I only found du li used one other time. It is used in the Five Elements Single Saber form (movement eleven). Your explanation makes sense in both instances.

I have changed the above translation to add your corrections.

Richard
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 06-02-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Richard, can you post the characters as well?

I could, but it would take some time to do (lots of copying from the dictionary and pasting - 175 Chinese characters in all). I suggest purchasing the book from Plum Publications (Ted Mancuso's company). It is only about $10 and has a multitude of forms in it that I have translated.

Richard A. Tolson