Thread: Some guy laid down to rest and then had a small seizure last night!

Some guy laid down to rest and then had a small seizure last night!

So I created a martial arts group to train together locally. People get together and train different things for striking, perhaps some basic ground work, and then we work on application (I.E. sparring or sparring drills).

Well last night a friend of mine brings in a friend of his. And I start him off doing a couple of 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag, meanwhile everyone else is doing something too like hitting the other heavy bag, hitting focus mitts, or shadowboxing.

So far so good. Later we started doing some grappling positioning drills. Flow drills to keep moving from one position to the next to gain a more dominant position. No problem.

We then start doing application sparring, where I'm having the guys apply the round kicks they were practicing on the heavy bag earlier. So one "side" of the room can do whatever they want, and the other side can defend with whatever but their only offensive weapon is the round kick. All very light contact mind you because no one was wearing gear.

So this one guy is sweating like a pig, and says oh wait I need to rest, he lays down on his stomach and says "pray for me!" jokingly. Next thing we know his face is flat on the ground (not laying sideways but literally on his nose) and he starts to shake a bit like a seizure but not violently and only for a few seconds. Just as I said to put him on his side, he woke up all round eyed and disoriented and we tell him he was just seizing, asked him if he had epilepsy or anything of the sort. He said he was fine and was just sleeping because he was just dreaming and everything. Now I know in REM people will jerk around and stuff...and it could have been that I suppose. But I also know that low blood sugar or sodium can cause mild seizures in people who don't have epilepsy.

Either way he said he was fine, and that he'll just watch for the rest of the time and he actually was fine. A bit later he and my other friend left, and we finished the night with contact (gloves/mouthpiece/etc) sparring using just the hands (boxing, wc, muay thai hands, whatever). That was my fun time ; ) So everything ended well with no major incidents outside of the guy almost getting knocked out by my lead hook!

But seriously, I'm thinking about not letting the one guy come back to the group because I can't have people dying during a light workout nor do I want to expose my friend (who has all my gear in his garage like the mats and sparring stuff) nor myself (since I'm the group's originator and promoter) to higher levels liability exposures than what's already present.

Am I overreacting in doing so?
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 06-01-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

you are absolutely not overreacting - you should not allow this guy back until he's cleared by his doc, and possibly get a neuro screen - because if he has a hx. of this stuff then he needs med clearance and if it's al new to him, he needs to get a diagnosis!

I don't know the nature of your group, but it begs the question of whether or not to have people sign acknoiwledgements that they have no medical hx. that would preclude them participating or that if they do they get a doc's note clearing them for participation; as the organizer / teacher, you could be potentialy liable just because some moron doesn't know how to take responsibility for his own health!

FYI, the guy may have had a seizure, or he may have had what's called a vaso-vagal response
    either way, he needs to have it checked out and you are well within your rights to not allow him back until he does;
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 06-01-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Well the intent of the group is simply to be more of a networking system so that folks in the area can train together outside of their prospective gyms (if any).

It is a relaxed, ego-free environment that I foster with the goal being to better ourselves in our respective training systems by exposing each of us to different people with different training.

The premise is that everyone there has some experience behind them and has trained to a proficiency level whereby they can use their style of choice in an intuitive action.

I do not ask them their medical history, nor do I have them sign any waivers. All my time teaching it's never been a problem and most places don't ask you your medical history. Though in the military it was never a problem because everyone has to be cleared for duty and generally most folks in the military are in good shape.

The MMA gym I pop into from time to time doesn't ask about med history either. There is a liability waiver however that everyone signs which I think I'll be implementing as well.

Funny thing is that this guy is a 275 lb ex-football player!
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 06-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Greetings,

I agree about implementing a waiver. But there is a thing such as sound judgement.

I get the feeling that the guy is not being totally straightforward with you. If he refuses to share that is his choice; in turn, you can let him know that you really don't want him around shaking on the floor like that because it is distracting and it takes away from the vibe that you are trying to create.

mickey

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    could it have simply been a sugar/insulin derived issue? sounds more like that to me.

but, yea, don't let him back w/o a verfied clearance from a doctor. not worth it to you.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Well the intent of the group is simply to be more of a networking system so that folks in the area can train together outside of their prospective gyms (if any).

It is a relaxed, ego-free environment that I foster with the goal being to better ourselves in our respective training systems by exposing each of us to different people with different training.

The premise is that everyone there has some experience behind them and has trained to a proficiency level whereby they can use their style of choice in an intuitive action.

I do not ask them their medical history, nor do I have them sign any waivers.!
    unfortunately, this is exactly the kind of thing some aszhole lawyer will have a field day with in court when some jerk sues you for something that wasn't even your fault but that he was told he had grounds for...
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 06-01-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Yep yep. I actually drafted up an application / liability release. I'm having everyone fill it out before training again.

It wasn't a big deal when it was just a couple of friends who knew each other, as now people are becoming interested that I didn't know personally beforehand.