Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kung Fu Heroes

Some reviews of Kungfu Heroes on America's Got Talent

I'm delighted to see live wushu on one of the most popular TV programs now.

July 14, 2010
    'America's Got Talent' goes live

Hey, folks. It's SKK here, pinch hitting for usual guest blogger (and pinch hitter for me) Chris in KS. Funny how that works out. Anyway, tonight is the first live show of this season of AGT, so I couldn't let it pass unblogged-upon.

Tonight, the first 12 of the Top 48 will perform live for viewer votes. I'm coming at this mostly blind, having only seen bits of the season so far, so bear with me.

Just as a reminder that it's live, when host Nick Cannon comes out and starts talking, there's no audio. Doh!

Next up, the judges hit the stage, which I would let pass without comment, but have you heard that Piers Morgan is in the running to replace Larry King? How insane is that?

So tonight, 12 will perform, and four of them will make it to the next level.

First up are the Kung Fu Heroes. They want to bring the martial arts to the masses, and in order to raise their game tonight, they're going to use real weaponry. Fun Fact: I'm a senior green belt in tae kwon do, and the school I used to go to spends quite a bit of training time on musical forms. Not like this, mind you, but still. I'm pretty fascinated by these guys, and I think they put on a good show, and I don't think all of that has to do with my own TKD background. Piers says this wasn't as enthralling as their audition was. Sharon Osbourne says it was more like a martial arts exhibition and that she'd like to see more intricate choreography in the future. Howie Mandel says that's what's missing: the choreography.
    'America's Got Talent' - 'Episode 513' Live Show Recap
    by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jul 14th 2010 1:15AM

After 12 episodes of auditions, it is now time for America to take control of the show and vote for their favorite acts. Live shows are back! This not only means that the pressure is on, as Howie mentioned, but that we will finally get to see every performer for a full act before we vote -- some of them we've seen for only a few seconds during auditions.

One of my big beefs in past seasons when live shows are concerned was that the sound was terrible during a lot of the performances. Bad sound can send an act packing if viewers aren't able to get the full experience and if the performer doesn't get a second chance. Sadly, tonight's show started badly with sound problems during the opening credits, but also when Nick started to talk on stage. Would acts suffer from the same faulty sound?

It's time for America to make all the decisions!

Kung Fu Heroes, martial arts performers: Sharon and Piers said exactly what I was thinking as I watched these martial arts performers at work: It felt like an exhibition where one guy showed his skills while the others watched in the background. Yes, they interacted for a few moves, but not that much. As the judges pointed out to them, if they return they need to change their routine to have more moves where they are performing together. Nonetheless, the Kung Fu Heroes performed an energetic routine set to a cool soundtrack and with great lighting and background effects.
    'America's Got Talent': Quarter Final 1
    Wednesday, July 14 2010, 5:41am EDT
    By Lara Martin, News Editor

The quarter finals for the fifth season of America's Got Talent began on NBC last night as the first 12 performers took to the stage in a bid to win America's vote and become one of the four acts from the group to progress to the next stage.

Here's what the judges said:

Kung Fu Heroes - Martial artists

Piers jokes they might kill him if he says the wrong thing but he doesn't think it was as enthralling as the audition because it was too routine. Sharon wants more intricate choreography but loves the energy. Howie agrees the choreography was the issue but thinks that can be changed and advises them to figure out what America wants.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Kung Fu Heroes

Check out the KFM coverage of Kung Fu Heroes.

More on Philip Sahagun

We posted the unabridged version of Jump High, Fall Safely from our March April 2011 issue two weeks ago. We are also offering one of Philip's new DVDs - WUSHU JUMPS - as our current online sweepstakes prize! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 04/07/2011. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hmm, missed posting the results of that sweepstakes.

Here are the winners of our DVD contest back in April.

Also here is a re-cut of the YouTube promo of the DVD by Philip himself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJfsMAagp24.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Heroes wears Tiger Claw shirts

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In the OC

Philip and his crew are still working it.
    Published: Feb. 5, 2013 Updated: 2:17 p.m.
    Venezia: Kung Fu Heroes come to Costa Mesa
    By BARBARA VENEZIA
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT
    ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
    bvontv@earthlink.net

The music pounds as they fly through the air kicking, twirling, and tumbling. They seem to defy gravity and the laws of nature as they maneuver swords and sticks.

The Kung Fu Heroes are martial arts wonders, and they're coming to South Coast Martial Arts in Costa Mesa on March 2 for a charity exhibition benefiting the Walking Tall Foundation.

Philip Sahagan - creator of Kung Fu Heroes
    PICASA, PHOTO COURTESY OF KUNG FU HEROES

If you go

What: Kung Fu Heroes perform in fundraiser for 20th anniversary of South Coast Martial Arts and to raise funds for Walking Tall Foundation.

Where: South Coast Martial Arts, 2990 Grace Lane in Costa Mesa.

When: 8 p.m. March 2

Tickets: $30 VIP, $20.00 general admission.

Information: www.kungfuheroes.com/

Kung Fu Heroes is the brain child of 25-year-old Costa Mesa resident Philip Sahagan.

Sahagan's not only an accomplished martial arts instructor, he also is a seven-time National Weapons Champion, three-time International Martial Arts Council Grand Champion, and was a contestant on two of China's top-rated reality competitions, Kung Fu Star and Jackie Chan's Disciple.

With an extensive background in American Kenpo, Kickboxing, Wushu and Shaolin Kung Fu, in 2008 and 09 he toured as a martial arts 'Ninja' performer for Tina Turner's 50th Anniversary World Tour.

He's represented America twice at the World Traditional Wushu Festival in China, winning both gold and silver medals for the U.S. Team.

Sahagan says he hand-picked the 12-member team of Kung Fu Heroes in 2010.

"In the group -- six are based out of South Coast Martial Arts -- five are international -- two of those are from China," he says.

If you look at the photos of the group on their website, http://www.kungfuheroes.com/, they look like movie star action heroes.

Most are in their 20's, three are in their 30's, good looking and have interesting backgrounds.

Sahagan's 23-year-old sister Nicole is their only female member.

Yanxu and Yan Hong are monks from China's Songshan Shaolin Temple, which was established in 495 AD.

Don Hyun is a corporate attorney/CPA and a gold medalist for the United States Chinese Martial Arts Team.

Kjer, from Amsterdam, grew up inspired by Ninja Turtles and Jean Claude Van Damme movies, he says.

Sebastian Castellanos's martial arts specialties include Hook Swords, Scorpion and the rare two finger Zen skill. He's also an aspiring model and motivational speaker.

When he was just 9, Wes Scarpias was a member of America's first Jr. Wushu Team trained exclusively in Beijing and Shanghai. He's an actor as well.

DY Sao began his martial arts career by doing martial arts stunts for movies, TV and live shows.

Thevada, from France, is a French National Champion in Long Fist, Broadsword and Staff.

Augie De' Angelo holds a second degree black belt in American Kenpo. In 2008 he represented the USA during the 2008 World Traditional Wushu Festival in Shiyan China, and earned a gold medal for the team. He's also a drummer.

Tommy Leng is an expert in Kung Fu, Karate, Wushu, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Judo.

All began their martial arts training as children.

The Kung Fu Heroes soared to national fame in 2010 as semi-finalists on NBC's hit television show America's Got Talent.

Sahagan said the contest really launched the Heroes and they've gone on to do exhibitions all around the world.

They've even filmed a reality show of their travels, which appears in the form of webisodes on their site.

You could say Sahagan and his sister were born into martial arts.

For the past 20 years their parents, Gina and Joaquin Sahagan, have owned the South Coast Martial Arts gym in Costa Mesa.

The March 2 fundraiser will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the gym and raise funds for the non-profit organization Walking Tall Foundation Sahagan's parents created.

The foundation supplies martial arts scholarships to young people.

This event in particular, will raise funds for two students to accompany and perform with the Kung Fu Heroes at a charity martial arts exhibition in Paris on March 23.

"There will be teams from all over Europe and we'll be representing America at the event," Sahagan says.

Martial arts teaching has been around for thousands of years and Sahagan feels it's important for young people.

"Beyond the physical aspect, it gives them self-confidence and will help them throughout life," he told me. "The strength is in the internal component."

Sahagan says martial arts teaches people how to explore their curiosities and that things aren't always as they appear at first glance.

"Everyone sees the kicking and flipping - it's so much more than that. Once you go through the experience, it changes you," he said.

I've watched some of the videos on the Kung Fu Heroes site and they truly are amazing athletes. I'm looking forward to seeing them on March 2.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine interview

Do Your Own Stunts. READ Philip Sahagun and the JC Stunt Camp by Gene Ching

Jackie-Chan
    Kung-Fu-Heroes
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips