Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Chop Choy?

mantis boxer Guest

What is Chop Choy?

What is Chop Choy? How do you say it in English?

MIA Guest
    I believe 'Chop Choy' is an elementary Qixing Tanglangquan form. It is also pronounced 'Cha Chui' in Mandarin.

Chop / Cha = verb: thrust; insert.

Choy/ Chui = verb: pound; strike; blow.

In any case, I could be wrong about this form because of the Cantonese.

[This message has been edited by MIA (edited 08-11-2000).]

loki Guest
    Mantis Boxer, I actually just posted this for you on Mants7's post ( concerning Paul Eng's books ). Anyway, we translate it as Stabbing Fist. It is considered an elementary form and is usually taught as the 4th or 5th form in the system but this can vary from school to school. Very direct, strong and practical. Not really considered a pure mantis form but rather adopted from another system into the mantis curriculum.

------------------
    NO ROAD IS AS LONG OR FILLED WITH AS MANY OBSTACLES AS THE ONE TRAVELLED BY THE CHINESE BOXER. FEW ATTEMPT TO TAKE IT . THOSE THAT REACH IT'S END ARE EVEN FEWER.

RochSevenStarMantis Guest
    Chop choy is a Long Fist form that was adapted in to the 7 Star System,along with Say lo Bung Da.
    Chop Choy is translated as Thrust Hammer, which is the main emphasis of the form.
    Roch7StarMantis

loki Guest
    Thrust Hammer?...hhmmnn

Peace

------------------
    NO ROAD IS AS LONG OR FILLED WITH AS MANY OBSTACLES AS THE ONE TRAVELLED BY THE CHINESE BOXER. FEW ATTEMPT TO TAKE IT . THOSE THAT REACH IT'S END ARE EVEN FEWER.

mantis boxer Guest
    Spear hand! Spear hand adopted into the systrem? It seems to follow many of the mantis characteristics. Four direction attack doesn't. I can see why that one is not a true mantis form but spear hand? It has sections in it that are repeated in Goose Palm, White ape steals the peach and Plum blossom fist. So how is it adopted? I see it as a true mantis form.

MIA Guest
    What can you really consider a true 'mantis' form when the style itself is made up of 17 Nothern Styles (plus the mantis hand)?

loki Guest
    Good point. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

------------------

mantis boxer Guest
    I consider forms that follow the basic combinatiosn to be true mantis forms. Steals the peach, bong bo, the 3 plum blossoms, essentials, spear hand, 18 ancestors, long form, short form etc. 4 Direction attack looks nothing like mantis and has the outside crescent kicks which never appears in any of the other forms. It is highly influenced by northern shaolin.

The word hand in Chinese is "sao" not Choy.The word spear and thrust would be the same meaning. If you look at Lee Kam Wing's site the closest interpretation is Thrust Hammer. It is a Chang Chuan Tong Long (Long Fist Mantis) form that was adopted into the seven star system.
    The word hammer meaning "hammer fist"
    RochSevenStarMantis

MIA Guest
    ´¡ ´¨

loki Guest
    The outside crescent kick as well as many other advanced kicks appear in many of the mantis forms, ex., "Small tiger and Goose" or "Continuous Brocade Weaving".

Hammer fist is called Pek Choy ( cantonese ).

Peace

------------------

[This message has been edited by loki (edited 08-14-2000).]

mantis boxer Guest
    You must be referring to the CCM lineage of mantis. My WHF lineage does have outside crescent kicks except for that one form.

loki Guest
    Hhmmm?....

------------------

Pek Choy does not mean Hammer Fist, it means chopping fist,again a misinterpretation of the actual characters.
    Choy does mean fist, but it also means hammer(like for hitting nails in). The characters for Chop Choy mean "Thrust Hammer". You have to have someone interpret the actual characters, not read the Pin Yin.
    My suggestion, is to go to Master Lee Kam Wing's Site, print the page, and have someone who can read Chinese tell you what it means.
    RochSevenStarMantis