Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ayurveda

Thumbs up Ayurveda

Hey all, I know ayurveda is not TCM, but it is TM. I was wondering how people who are interested in TCM feel about it. I think its very simular in many ways to TCM. I'm reading a good book on it right now Essential Ayurveda and What it can do for you by Shubhra Krishan. They have 5 elements, however two are different theirs are Earth, fire, water, Air, and space. Let me know what you all think? Thanks in advance!
    Bless you

I use both ayurveda and TCM for myself -there are similarities and there are differences. I dont work on others.
    Have had a fairly good exposure to both systems -enough to have confidence in them without rejecting the allopathic world.

The problem is getting good ayurvedic advice. Sonce ayurveda has become better known- lots of undertrained and greedy people have got on the bandwagon.
    Last edited by yuanfen; 07-10-2003 at 01:22 PM.

What is Ayurveda, to be exact?

The Vedas from classical India are some of the earliest literature in the world.
    The first three are hymns and philosophy.
    The Ayur-veda contains the seeds of the classical Indian/Hindu approach to health.
    Unlike much of western allopathy (which has its own strengths)
    Ayurveda like much of TCM works to stimulate the body's own healing response. There are methods of diagnosis- based on their conception of the body, types and indicators-different appearnces, tongue, different pulses for different internal organs,
    channels(nadis). then there are different hands on therapies.
    Advice on individualised nutririon patterns and also various medications.
    A good practitioner would have had to have years of good instruction from good teacher(s).

Thanks. I did notice the "veda" part of the word, so I guessed it had sumthin to do with it.

Ayurveda is thought to be the oldest medicinal system in the world. It is at least 5000 years old and some estimate it as over 10000 years old. Some of the diet tips are similar to TCM and it also includes herbal medicine, self massage, and exercise (yoga). Of cource it promotes eating fresh, organic fruits and vegatables (for prana). If you find a good book on it ( the one I recomended in the original post is) it will have questioaires to your specific body type, and you can specialize your diet. It is not dieting to lose weight, but to improve health.
    Bless you

Sounds nice. I could need some good food-tips. I don't need to loose weight (not at all!) but I'd like to eat healthier anyway.
    thanks.

Weight is not by any means the only sign of health. I've always been quite slim, however at times I ate horribly and was not to healthy(due to other habits to poor sleep, overwork, ect.). The definition of slim being healthy and fat being unhealthy is false. Read the book, its pretty fu(king Good
    Bless you

thin=unhealthy
    fat=unhealthy

I see myself as normal. I'm 184 cm tall and weighs 76 kilos, i guess that's normal. But a feeling of eating unhealthy can be felt also when you're not overweight/skinny.

Thumbs up

I beg to agree. Processed foods, preservatives, to much protein, not enough antioxidents or fiber, All this can lead to unhealthy eating!
    Bless you

Thumbs up

"Eat when you are hungry, sleep when you are tired"
    -Chao-Chou.

later.

but what do you eat?
    Bless you

What is at hand..
    I'm not a person who eats anything.. there is many kinds of food that would make me puke, if u know what I mean.

Thumbs down

Like fast foods (yuk) or sugary deserts(ewwww)
    Bless you

Like fast foods (yuk) or sugary deserts(ewwww)
    I luv it!

Not that I eat much of it. I just wanna eat healthier.