Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat

My 2 cents.

I like the tone, the direction they've gone with the fighting... however, I hate the ditching of the MK mythos. Frankly, I like the Outworld stuff and the supernatural. MK is as much horror as it is a fighting game series. If you can take those characters, put them in a tournament AND make the supernatural stuff seem scary in a horror sort of way... you'd have a movie that won me over completely.

For me the story to this pitch is not MK, it's just something else with MK names and concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    My 2 cents.

I like the tone, the direction they've gone with the fighting... however, I hate the ditching of the MK mythos. Frankly, I like the Outworld stuff and the supernatural. MK is as much horror as it is a fighting game series. If you can take those characters, put them in a tournament AND make the supernatural stuff seem scary in a horror sort of way... you'd have a movie that won me over completely.

For me the story to this pitch is not MK, it's just something else with MK names and concepts.
    Second that. Maybe they could try something like Big Trouble in Little China? Always loved the way the chinese mysticism was blended with the modern setting in that movie.

didnt they base raiden from MK off of lightning from big trouble in little china?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

This looks pretty cool.
    Ordinarily I really dislike movies based off of video games. And I didn't like the original MK films. This one looks like it's a good movie, or at least far superior to the other MK's (IMO, of course).

About Raiden/Raijin......

Slightly OT

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

title changed

hey gene this needs to be changed to mortal kombat:legacy as thats the title of the series. first ep is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s6UiEuCYXA (this thing is doing bigger numbers then most major network shows)

I decided to change it to just Mortal Kombat

We don't have a Mortal Kombat thread here and we really should.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

rebirth

'Mortal Kombat' Video Game Headed Back to the Big Screen
    New Line has hired Kevin Tancharoen to direct a new adaptation of the classic fighting game.
    September
    1:14 PM PDT 9/29/2011 by Borys Kit

Mortal Kombat is heading back to the big-screen.

New Line is hiring the filmmakers of the popular Mortal Kombat digital series, made earlier this year by corporate sibling Warner Bros. Digital Distribution, to take on a new adaptation of the classic 1990s fighting game.

The movie deal marks the end of a journey for Kevin Tancharoen, who will direct the new film. Tancharoen, a choreographer for Madonna and Britney Spears who directed the 2009 remake of Fame and more recently the Glee concert movie, directed a short film Mortal Kombat: Rebirth as a proof of concept for a Kombat movie he tried to pitch. A huge fan of the video game (and knowing Hollywood wouldn’t give him a shot at the title), he enlisted Oren Uziel to write the short and hired actors such as Michael Jai White and Jeri Ryan.

The short was viewed more than 10 million times on YouTube, and although no movie deal materialized, he was asked to direct the 10-episode web series, which debuted in April, attracting more than 50 million unique visitors.

Off that success, Warners and New Line execs thought it was time to try to revisit a big-screen effort. (New Line made a Mortal Kombat movie in 1995, which grossed more than $70 million domestically and helped launch a directing career for Paul W. S. Anderson. A follow-up movie in 1997, however, fizzled.)

Uziel is returning to write the new movie, which is still in the development stages. There is no actor attached and the new story will not serve as an extension of the game or digital series.

Dave Neustadter and Walter Hamada are overseeing for New Line.

The game’s long-standing appeal lies in being able to face off against an opponent, using various weapons and fighting styles, via human or alien avatars. The catchy title doesn’t hurt, either.

Tancharoen is repped by ICM and Anonymous Content. Uziel, who also wrote the Black List script Kitchen Sink, is repped by ICM and Circle of Confusion.
    If I had a dollar for every time I heard that **** MK song at tournaments...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2 Web Series

WARNER BROS. / MACHINIMA PRESS RELEASE - “MORTAL KOMBAT: LEGACY 2” WEB SERIES TO DEBUT WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVELY ON MACHINIMA IN SECOND QUARTER OF 2013

3 Dec, 2012 15:00 CET

“MORTAL KOMBAT: LEGACY 2” WEB SERIES TO DEBUT WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVELY ON MACHINIMA IN SECOND QUARTER OF 2013

EAGERLY AWAITED SECOND SEASON OF THE HIT LIVE-ACTION WEB SERIES IS CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION IN LOS ANGELES

DIRECTED BY KEVIN TANCHAROEN ("MORTAL KOMBAT: LEGACY"), SERIES STARS HARRY SHUM, JR. ("GLEE") AS "KUAI LIANG," CASPER VAN DIEN ("STARSHIP TROOPERS") AS "JOHNNY CAGE," BRIAN TEE (“THE WOLVERINE”)
    AS "LIU KANG," IAN ANTHONY DALE (“HAWAII FIVE-O”) AS “SCORPION,” AND CARY TAGAWA ("MORTAL KOMBAT") AS "SHANG TSUNG"

FIRST CLIP TO PREMIERE AT 2013 STREAMY AWARDS ON FEBRUARY 17

BURBANK, CALIF., December 3, 2012 – A second season of the hit live-action web series "Mortal Kombat: Legacy" is currently in production in Los Angeles and will debut worldwide in Q2 2013 exclusively on Machinima, the number one entertainment network on YouTube. Based on the best-selling “Mortal Kombat” videogame franchise, Kevin Tancharoen (“Mortal Kombat: Legacy”) returns to direct and co-write "Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2" alongside writers Josh Baizer and Marshall Johnson (“Dead Loss”).

The first season of "Mortal Kombat: Legacy" was one of the most-viewed web series of 2011 with more than 60 million views to date on Machinima. In the second season the saga continues as Liu Kang and Ermac join the ranks of fighters introduced in the first season of the web series including Kenshi, Kung Lao, Kuai Lang, Stryker, Kitana, Mileena, Johnny Cage, Scorpion and Sub Zero. This new season will uncover the rivalries and histories of these fierce warriors as Raiden and his recruits clash against the dark forces of Outworld. The epic battle for Earthrealm has finally begun!

"Fans are in for a real treat with the second season of Mortal Kombat: Legacy," said Tancharoen. "With added visual effects and storylines that dive deeper into our warriors as they make their way to the tournament, we’re taking this series to a whole new level. I'm really looking forward to showing fans the first clip during the Streamy Awards on February 17. "

"Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2" features stars from television and film - many of whom have real-world martial arts experience. The cast includes Harry Shum, Jr. ("Glee") as the warlord adviser "Kuai Liang," Casper Van Dien ("Starship Troopers") as martial arts film actor "Johnny Cage," Brian Tee ("The Wolverine") as Shaolin Monk "Liu Kang," Mark Dacascos ("Cradle 2 the Grave ") as "Kung Lao" - a close friend of "Liu Kang," Ian Anthony Dale (“Hawaii Five-O”) returns as the resurrected ninja “Scorpion,” and reprising his role he made famous in the "Mortal Kombat" theatrical release - Cary Tagawa as the powerful, arrogant sorcerer "Shang Tsung."

“Machinima and our audience have been eagerly awaiting the next chapter in this series, and I’m thrilled to announce that Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2 will return to its original home on Machinima,” said Allen DeBevoise, Chairman, Co-Founder, and CEO of Machinima. “We have become a destination for episodic narrative series thanks in part to the first season of Mortal Kombat: Legacy, and we look forward to breaking new ground with this much anticipated new season.”

“Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2" comes from producer Lance Sloane ("H+: The Digital Series" / "Act of Valor") and Kevin Tancharoen (“Mortal Kombat: Legacy”) who also serves as the series’ director. Production services are provided by Bandito Brothers, and Hayden Roush and Marina Stabile serve as Line Producers. The series is written by Josh Baizer, Marshall Johnson and Kevin Tancharoen. “Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2" is produced by Warner Bros. Digital Distribution and distributed by Machinima, Inc.

Mortal Kombat was first released on October 8, 1992. Since then it has become known as one of the darkest fighting games on the market. Famed for its mortal competition, fatalities and dark sense of humor, the game has been released on all major consoles, as well as arcade machines. The original development team, now known as NetherRealm Studios, led by creative director Ed Boon, continues to develop the game and build upon the existing success and rich story it has created to date.

The latest chapter of “Mortal Kombat” was released in 2011 by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, marking a triumphant return to the series’ roots in the fastest and most brutal installment to date. The game returned to a mature presentation and reinvented its classic 2D fighting mechanic in addition to adding new gameplay features including tag team, a deeper story mode, and nostalgic arcade battle online and offline. Selling more than three million units worldwide, the reinvention of the franchise became the highest-selling fighting game of the year and won numerous “Best Fighting Game” awards, including Spike TV’s 2011 Video Game Awards, 2012 Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences Interactive Achievement Awards, and recognition from Game Informer, Official Xbox Magazine and GameTrailers.com.

About Warner Bros. Digital Distribution

Warner Bros. Digital Distribution (WBDD) oversees the electronic distribution of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment’s content through Video-On-Demand, Pay-Per-View, Electronic Sell-Through and Subscription Video-On-Demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels. WBDD also distributes content through third party digital retailers and licensees. A worldwide industry leader since its inception, WBDD also manages the Studio’s E-commerce sites that include WBShop.com and WarnerArchive.com. Twitter: @WBDigitalDist

About Machinima
    Machinima is the dominant video entertainment network for young males around the world. The number one entertainment channel on YouTube, Machinima serves over 2.3 billion video views per month, and reaches over 253 million viewers monthly. Machinima’s global network is the best place for gaming content. The network features official publisher content, gameplay videos, scripted series, and original content, including weekly and daily shows, all aimed at the coveted 18-34 year old male demographic. The company is backed by MK Capital, and Redpoint Ventures, and is headquartered in Los Angeles, California.

For more information, please visit www.Machinima.com

About NetherRealm Studios
    NetherRealm Studios, wholly owned by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, is a leader in the development of interactive entertainment as the creator of the billion dollar Mortal Kombat franchise. Mortal Kombat has spawned two theatrical films, multiple television series, and has sold over 28 million games to date. Located in Chicago, Illinois the award-winning NetherRealm team has been working and creating games together since 1992. Additional information about NetherRealm Studios can be found at www.netherrealm.com

Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo, and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
    (s12)

Peter Binazeski
    Warner Bros. Digital Distribution
    818/977-5701
    peter.binazeski@warnerbros.com

Twitter: @WBDigitalDist

Kat Jones
    Machinima, Inc.
    323/872-5335
    kat.jones@machinima.com
    I have this strange optimism about Harry Shum. It's akin to what I was feeling about Taylor Lautner with Abduction and Cancun - that he might bring a whole new audience demographic to the martial arts. Lautner has totally failed me so far. Shum was also involved in Already Gone, and he does have the moves, so I'm still hopeful. I'm just optimistic that way.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Has anyone seen the series?
    I hear it's on Blu-ray, was wondering if it was worth getting...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

More on Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2 web series

@s_r, I haven't seen it yet, but it's available online for free if you want to sample some. I hooked up the hyperlink at the bottom of this article if you, or anyone else, wants a taste.

Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2 Cast Photo
    Mon., January 14, 2013 Source

Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2 is the continuation of the popular web series directed by Kevin Tancharoen. Season 2 of Mortal Kombat: Legacy will begin airing on February 17, 2013. Kevin released the cast photo for season 2 of Mortal Kombat: Legacy. The cast looks great and many have real world martial arts background. I like everyone is excited to see the new season as the first season was fantastic.

The first season of Mortal Kombat: Legacy was one of the most viewed web series of 2011. The Mortal Kombat Legacy Machinima YouTube channel received more than 60 million views to date. Season 2 will continue the Mortal Kombat saga with Lui Kang and Ermac joining the Mortal Kombat tournament fighters that were introduced in the first season including Kenshi, Kung Lao, Kuai Lang, Stryker, Kitana, Mileena, Johnny Cage, Scorpion and Sub Zero. We will be thrown deeper into the world of Mortal Kombat as rivalries and histories are unraveled from each warrior as Raiden and his recruits face off against the dark forces of Outworld.

Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2 features stars from television and film - many of whom have real-world martial arts experience. The cast includes Harry Shum, Jr. (“Glee”) as the warlord adviser Kuai Liang, Casper Van Dien (Starship Troopers) as martial arts film actor Johnny Cage, Brian Tee (The Wolverine) as Shaolin Monk Liu Kang, Mark Dacascos (Cradle 2 the Grave) as Kung Lao - a close friend of Liu Kang, Ian Anthony Dale (“Hawaii Five-0”) returns as the resurrected ninja Scorpion, and reprising his role he made famous in the Mortal Kombat theatrical release - Cary Tagawa as the powerful, arrogant sorcerer Shang Tsung.

If you need to watch the first season again please check out the Official Mortal Kombat: Legacy Playlist.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Reboot confirmed

'expect it to be darker and feature real martial arts'

Mortal Kombat Movie Confirmed as James Wan is Officially On Board to Produce Reboot; Oren Uziel and Dave Callahan Finishing Script

James Wa (Credit: Steve Granitz/Getty Images) HOLLYWOOD, CA - APRIL 01: James Wan arrvies at the 'Furious 7' - Los Angeles Premiere at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX on April 1, 2015 in Hollywood, California.
    August 27 6:56 PM 2015

A reboot of feature film adaptation of the hit videogame series Mortal Kombat is in the works under New Line Cinema. Furious 7 director James Wan has been tapped to oversee production for the film while writers have also been hired for the script.

As reported by Den of Geek, James Wan is officially on board to produce the upcoming Mortal Kombat reboot. Although Wan could also direct the film with the success of his films Furious 7 and The Conjuring, the director already has his hands full with his scheduled directorial responsibilities for the upcoming The Conjuring 2, Sony's Robotech, and Warner Bros' Aquaman.

Although no details have been released concerning the film's cast, release date, or director, iDigital Times reported that Mortal Kombat: Legacy's Oren Uziel and The Expendables writer Dave Callaham are writing the script.

As reported by Comingsoon.net, planning for the project began years ago with director Kevin Tancharoen set to direct. However, inn 2013, Tancharoen announced that he will no longer direct the film. Tancharoen directed the hit web series, Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

The upcoming film will reportedly move away from the mythology, and fans of the hit videogame series can expect it to be darker and feature real martial arts. The story of the upcoming film will center on a male protagonist who will realize his potentials upon getting caught in a battle between the warriors of the Earth vs the forces of the Outworld. He then tries to save the world by winning the battle.

Aside from the web series, and the television series, two Mortal Kombat films were made. Paul W.S. Anderson's adaptation, which was simply called 'Mortal Kombat' was released in 1995, while its sequel was later released in 1997 entitled Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and was directed by John R. Leonetti. More details about the upcoming Mortal Kombat Reboot movie are expected to be released in the coming months.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

McQuoid

Maybe I'll split this off into it's own thread as more news comes in. Maybe not.

‘Mortal Kombat’ Reboot Finds Director in Simon McQuoid (EXCLUSIVE)
    Justin Kroll Film Reporter @krolljvar

Simon McQuoid Mortal Kombat COURTESY OF WME
    NOVEMBER 18, 2016 | 04:21PM PT
    Simon McQuoid, best known for directing commercials, is in talks to helm the “Mortal Kombat” reboot for New Line.

James Wan is producing the movie, along with Michael Clear for Atomic Monster, and Todd Garner and Jeremy Stein through their Broken Road banner. Lawrence Kasanoff is executive producing. Greg Russo penned the most recent draft.

Based on the classic ’90s arcade game, “Mortal Kombat” has generated numerous pop culture properties, including the best-selling video game, “Mortal Kombat X.” The “Mortal Kombat” games are developed by NetherRealm Studios, owned by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, with a team led by co-creator and creative director Ed Boon.

Paul W.S. Anderson’s 1995 “Mortal Kombat” movie revolved around some of the game’s classic characters, like Liu Kang and Johnny Cage, who were invited to a tournament on a mysterious island only to find out that the fate of the world hung in the balance. The pic grossed $70 million at the domestic box office.

Its sequel, “Mortal Kombat: Annihilation,” however, did not bring back audiences, and the studio shelved future plans for any “Mortal Kombat”-related projects. The series was revived after Warner Bros. Digital, which was run by current Warner Bros. chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara at the time, premiered the web series “Mortal Kombat: Legacy.”

McQuoid is an Australian filmmaker and one of the most in-demand commercials directors in the business, working on high-profile campaigns for PlayStation, Halo, Range Rover, Beats by Dre, and other top brands. His commercial work has earned him a Grand Clio, a D&AD Pencil, and a GRANDY Award, among others. McQuoid is repped by WME.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2017!

Shoulda saved this for a Throwback Thursday or Flashback Friday.

Ed Boon Posts Screenshot of Original Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks Prototype
    The original version of the game was a single-player adventure starring Raiden.
    News by Matt Kim, 10/03/2017.

This year marks the 25th anniversary since the first Mortal Kombat game appeared in arcades. While NetherRealm Studios is busy planning for the anniversary, Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon has been busy on Twitter traversing down memory lane. Like today for instance when Boon posted a rare image of a prototype version of Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks back when it starred Raiden.

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks is a 2005 co-op adventure game from the now defunct Midway Los Angeles studios. Directed by Boon, Shaolin Monks was a spinoff of the popular fighting game that took the bloody franchise and transformed it into a co-op beat-em-up adventure game starring two Mortal Kombat characters: Liu Kang and Kung Lao.

View image on Twitter
    Follow
    Ed Boon ✔@noobde
    Rare image: Mortal Kombat SHAOLIN MONKS, before it became a co-op adventure game & featured only 1 character: Raiden.#MK25

12:20 PM - Oct 3, 2017
    288 288 Replies 593 593 Retweets 2,669 2,669 likes
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    The image Boon posted on Twitter is apparently from earlier in development where instead of a co-op game, Shaolin Monks was originally a single-player adventure starring Raiden.

While it's unknown why Midway LA changed directions on the game, Shaolin Monks is one of the more popular Mortal Kombat spinoffs among Mortal Kombat fans. Shaolin Monks was praised for the way the game translated the fighting game's combos and fatalities for the new genre, and the co-op functionality was likewise very popular, although some complained the game was impossible to play by yourself.

Since Boon posted the image, fans are now asking for some kind of modern re-release, remaster, or even a sequel for Shaolin Monks. Maybe as a part of the 25th anniversary of Mortal Kombat where Boon teased more than one surprise for fans this year.

We won't know what surprises NetherRealms has in store until the actual anniversary—which is on October 8—but even Boon just posted the image for nostalgia's sake, it's cool to see what the original version of Shaolin Monks looked like before the big change.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips