Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaztaztic Southern Mantis (Maybe)?

Question Spaztaztic Southern Mantis (Maybe)?

Last edited by SanHeChuan; 06-11-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

That looked... strange. But hey, I don't know much about Southern Mantis...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    the first guy, and I MAY BE WRONG, looked a lot like James Cama - but again, I COULD BE WRONG!

the second guy was just...well, I don't know what to say about that...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yes, the first guy is Sifu James Cama.
    His skill is well known among SPM practitioners.
    He is the chosen instructor for the Chinese Freemasons gym, a position once held by the Grandmaster, Lam Sang.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post

The first video was clearly Mantis. The second video, first guy, was doing some form of kung fu, looked like a diviate form of Wing Chun. The second guy in the gi was clearly doing Karate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    The second guy in the gi was clearly doing Karate.
    The second guy in the gi was clearly doing Lau Gar Kuen, a form from the Hung-Gar system.

(although it was clearly not a good performance;-)
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    The second guy in the gi was clearly doing Lau Gar Kuen, a form from the Hung-Gar system.

Yea, the first guy had some good chops, the second guy was OK, wouldn't slap him for it.

I have advice for both of them. T-shirts. Plain old T-shirts.

James Cama was interesting. The 'shuttering' in SPM is common, and normally looks like dynamic tension. His looked different.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

yes, the first guy is Sifu James Cama.
    His skill is well known among SPM practitioners.
    He is the chosen instructor for the Chinese Freemasons gym, a position once held by the Grandmaster, Lam Sang.
    So, that would be considered a good performance for that Form then?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

It's not for me to judge. I am not familiar with that form.
    (I do know that Sifu Cama is highly skilled and well-known for this.)
    Many Sifus, when performing a public demonstration, will do sections of a form, or several forms, rather than show the entire form. They show what they choose to the public.
    Until very recently, SPM was only taught to the Hakka, and even then, only to a select few. It is one of the systems that is still considered closed door.

I think it's great that it's being taught and shown more and more openly, and there are alot of interesting videos on youtube, but there is much that will probably never be shown to outsiders.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 06-12-2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

BTW SanHeChuan,
    I thought it funny that you didn't recognize Lau Gar.(I believe you used to do LSW Hung-Gar in your past?) That happens to me as well. I was once judging in a tournament, and it wasn't until the guy was half way through his form that I recognized it.
    It was that awful. Not the person so much, as the way he was taught to do the form. It was obvious that he spent alot of time on it. He was simply doing what he was taught, and I suppose in his school, it was considered to be very good, as he and his fellow students were extremely upset at my low score, even to the point of questioning me about it. They actually said, "He does it perfectly!"
    I raised one eyebrow (in my best Sean Connery immitation) and said, "Perfectly?"
    They didn't get it.
    They also do a very interesting Bung-Bo.
    I would pay money to have seen you sitting in the judge's seat for that one!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

ahh..after reading your profile, I mistook you for someone else.'
    It was the Law Clansman that threw me off.
    I thought you were Sifu Albright, who's name on here used to be (or still might) Law Clansman..
    Ok, rather than delete my post, I'm keeping it up, cause it's still funny.
    How many others have had this same experience?

(not the mistaken identity, the discovery that you were watching someone do a form that you were very familiar with)
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

the discovery that you were watching someone do a form that you were very familiar with)
    I have seen some very...interesting evolutions of CTS CLF & Lama forms popping up here and there of late...certain things just glaringly incorrect to those in the know...

I wouldn't know Lau Gar if it was trying to crawl up my behind, but it must be some sort of Karate look alike or maybe since you consider it a poor perfromance it might have been influenced by karate or some such. His version of it anyway. I did some ****o long ago for a little while, and it was the first thing that came to mind when viewing that video. They had me learning short forms and when I asked how many of these forms there were, my sensei said he really didn't know. I think it might have been around a hundred or so. Maybe that is not right, but then it could be too. It didn't take me long to determine that I was not going to like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I wouldn't know Lau Gar if it was trying to crawl up my behind, but it must be some sort of Karate look alike or maybe since you consider it a poor perfromance it might have been influenced by karate or some such. His version of it anyway. I did some ****o long ago for a little while, and it was the first thing that came to mind when viewing that video. They had me learning short forms and when I asked how many of these forms there were, my sensei said he really didn't know. I think it might have been around a hundred or so. Maybe that is not right, but then it could be too. It didn't take me long to determine that I was not going to like it very much.
    Sh1toryu has probably the most forms of any Okinawan Karate system.
    As far as lau Gar looking like Karate-actually it doesn't look anything like Karate.
    That will give you an idea on that guy's performance.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Sh1toryu has probably the most forms of any Okinawan Karate system.
    As far as lau Gar looking like Karate-actually it doesn't look anything like Karate.
    That will give you an idea on that guy's performance.
    there is a line in Goju's Sepai that is almost exactly the same as the first forward moving sequence from LGK, at least the version I learned from Ross as compared to what I saw one of Urban's original students doing;