Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaztaztic Southern Mantis (Maybe)?

The second video is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! Wrong tempo, wrong energy, and terrible techniques! LOL, and they are suppose to be making a movie????

Richard A. Tolson

I know that Sifu James is very highly regarded but I never liked his "flowery rendition" of SPM, just a personal thing , no slight on his skill of course.
    The other guys seemed like they were combining a few systems...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I hate to be the jerk here, but it's not my first time!

lol

I thought it was all sub standard.

As I don't know any of those guys and even less about them, I don't feel bad making that observation.

The first one looked just weird. I can't see what the point of demonstrating that was. There was nothing there in any way shape or form that would attract me to that art and if you aren't trying to get more students, then why bother demonstrating?

The others looked like typical guys who just wanted to make a flick with whatever it was that they knew. I didn't like the shape or flow of either of the sets they chose to play. It looked jittery, stiff and rigid. No flow, no hint of power.

So, my vote goes for none of it. And I can't apologize for that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Sh1toryu has probably the most forms of any Okinawan Karate system.
    As far as lau Gar looking like Karate-actually it doesn't look anything like Karate.
    That will give you an idea on that guy's performance
    haha yeah that did not look like any of the Lau Gar I ever learned. I learned it 2 different ways. Both are differing in aspect but they both maintained the BOX shape within the form. From the history I learned of it, the Lau family married into the linage of Hung, and this form "Lau Gar" was given as a gift during that time from the brides family Lau. Not sure if that is the whole story but it what I heard about it. Might be totally wrong even.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    It's not for me to judge. I am not familiar with that form.
    (I do know that Sifu Cama is highly skilled and well-known for this.)
    Many Sifus, when performing a public demonstration, will do sections of a form, or several forms, rather than show the entire form. They show what they choose to the public.
    Until very recently, SPM was only taught to the Hakka, and even then, only to a select few. It is one of the systems that is still considered closed door.

I think it's great that it's being taught and shown more and more openly, and there are alot of interesting videos on youtube, but there is much that will probably never be shown to outsiders.

Do you really believe what you have typed? There are things that will never be shown to the public? You want to know why? Because the secrets are bullsh!t. The reason why these super sifus never show their secret stuff is because:

1. They would lose their sense of superiority from knowing something no one else does which is actually a form of insecurity.

2. They might get laughed at because they kept something so stupid secret.
    3. Someone might actually challenge them to fight a televised full contact fight like Ray Pina used to. Then the video would be reviewed and this secret bullsh!t would not be visible at all.

It is too bad that these super sifus with their deadly secrets never fight in the mma because they would all be exposed for their crap.

Tentigers,
    I do not know anything about you but your reverence of these secrets makes you sound child like in an innocent, "I believe evrything my dad tells me.".

conduction or connectivity to the ground or rooting.

1. northern mantis, each hand move is coupled with leg move. there are specific stance and stepping methods in mantis.

2. even thou, in southern style, you may do many hands move without stepping meaning assuming only a horse stance or changing between bow and horse stance without stepping forward or backward.

however, each hand move is still coupled with breathing and whole body generation of power from the ground and feet up. may be rotating the waist as well.

3. with many hands moves very fast within a single breath or without other body part connected or moving in unison, that many hand moves may not be a complete move or just local arm moves--

4. In short, in northern mantis, fast hand moves are coupled to fast stepping to the front, back, left and right etc.

---

one breath one move with the whole body connected to the ground. (universal concept)

5. many hand moves within a single breath without connecting to the ground with other body parts?

or many hand movements and breathing in and out many times within a minute?

6. it is not about how many hands move you may do within a minute.

it is about a complete move with both hand and feet and the rest of the body within a breath (in and out).

---
    Last edited by SPJ; 06-14-2010 at 07:43 AM.

hand moves such as hooking, grappling. picking, confining (gou luo cai gua)

need the whole body moves with stepping/stances and whole body weight to weight in.

to work.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Mysterious Power:

"SUSQUEHANA HAT COMPANY!"

whoa, man. I never said they were good.
    Just that they were secret!

There are, and probably always will be, techniques that individuals, or even groups as a whole, deem unsuited for public display,
    and reserved for the people of their choosing.
    That's their prerogative.
    It doesn't make it better or worse,
    effective or inneffective,
    but the fact remains that it exists.

Now, the fact that this sets off such a strong reaction within you...?
    You may want to look into this.
    Maybe talk with someone...
    a professional, perhaps...
    who can prescribe medication..

"now show me on the jong,
    where did the bad Sifu touch you?"[I
    ][/I]
    Last edited by TenTigers; 06-14-2010 at 08:01 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Lol!

Knifefighter and tneihoff would have a field day with comments such as yours about secret techniques. The fact that they are kept secret shows that people believe they hold power and cannot be shown to the public. What a joke.

The day for these secret fighting techniques has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousPower View Post
    Lol!

Knifefighter and tneihoff would have a field day with comments such as yours about secret techniques. The fact that they are kept secret shows that people believe they hold power and cannot be shown to the public. What a joke.

you stiill seem to be attaching more meaning to this than is there.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 06-14-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Lol!

Oh, there is secrets.

It's not some technique and how it's trained or executed though.

The secrets I have in regards to fighting will never be revealed by me. But I can tell you that these things i would do are not what you would expect and definitely couldn't be done in any competitive venue.

The secret is only that thing that could change the outcome that I know about and that you don't know about. That's why it's a secret.

Also, I never cared about anything that Dale (knifefighter)or Terrence had to say. They're trolls with ufc on the brain lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Secrets secrets

The question still remains. Why would they keep these a secret? You are making it sound as if these sifus are keeping it a secret as a matter of fact thing that everyone does. You seem to be purposefully trying to get away from the apparent reasons which I have already listed.

1. It makes them feel superior and these secrets will help them develop skills that they can pull out of their hat if need be...something the opponent knows nothing about.

2. Being able to draw in gullible students and keeping them on for years while dangling carrots that never appear.

3. Being insecure and not wanting others to find out that they are not really that special accept in their own minds.

You downplay these things because you know them to be true and cannot adequately defend them.
    "People keep secrets in martial arts like people take out the garbage twice a week.". Come on. I am not attaching meaning to anything. You made a vague statement regarding "things that will never be shown in public.". You implied that these things are special.

Why don't you give us an example of a secret spm drill, technique, or form and why it is a secret? What deadly skills will it develop? I bet you will not do it because you were asked not to or because it is too deadly for the public. But really you will probably not reveal the secret because people will laugh that you kept something like that as a secret...or worse we will say, "Gee, everyone already know that.".
    Last edited by MysteriousPower; 06-14-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Lol!

I got in trouble for posting some shorin-ryu forms on youtube that weren't suppose to be public. I think the point of keeping them secret was so that people couldn't learn them and pass themselves off as a lineage they did not hold. Controlling information to control authentication.

At least that is what would make sense to me, because come on it was JUST Karate.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    I got in trouble for posting some shorin-ryu forms on youtube that weren't suppose to be public. I think the point of keeping them secret was so that people couldn't learn them and pass themselves off as a lineage they did not hold. Controlling information to control authentication.

At least that is what would make sense to me, because come on it was JUST Karate.
    Imagine what trouble you'd get into for revealing recipes! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Secrets secrets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question still remains. Why would they keep these a secret? You are making it sound as if these sifus are keeping it a secret as a matter of fact thing that everyone does. You seem to be purposefully trying to get away from the apparent reasons which I have already listed.

1. It makes them feel superior and these secrets will help them develop skills that they can pull out of their hat if need be...something the opponent knows nothing about.

2. Being able to draw in gullible students and keeping them on for years while dangling carrots that never appear.

3. Being insecure and not wanting others to find out that they are not really that special accept in their own minds.

You downplay these things because you know them to be true and cannot adequately defend them.

These reasons you give sound like they are coming from personal experience. Perhaps you had a teacher who did just that and you became dissalusioned. (sp?)

If this is so, let me mention that not everyone has had your experience.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.