Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaztaztic Southern Mantis (Maybe)?

What James Cama showed was long considered secret.

There is another kind of secret in TCMA nobody has alluded to, it comes from having the ability, experience and physical skill to understand something and figure it out yourself.

The secrets the Sifu knows, but can't show you. Wheat and chaff boys. Sifu doesn't appoint a successor, even if he may hand over a business. All the Todai know who's hands are the best at this and that, who has heart, who they look to. Nothing is given, and rarely absolute. The rest is just business.

Also, I can speak for myself and my brothers, we all have secret moves. That's part of the game. Having that little extra bizzo, or a combination you work up. You keep it until someone figures it out, then you make another. Hardly mystical....

Secrets, especially in Hakka or family styles, were to protect the style from defensive strategies. Thus, in part, the issues with teaching Gwai Lo.

I think it is an error to jump to the conclusion that "secrets" are all about money. A secret is worthless if you don't share it, and I've seen what happens when it is wasted, but for the most part, talent and respect are the keys to learning, as with any other pursuit you may undertake where you rely on a teacher.

And of course, as with many things in life, when you reach a certain age and a certain level, you can pick the people you want to associate with, you don't have to deal with every demanding wanker that comes along, or every smart a$$ thinking they got the goods. They may well have, and good on them, they certainly don't need to waste your time. You respect the subject and the teacher will respect you.

Maybe 10 years ago, Sifu told me he has now taught me everything he knows. He wasn't quite right.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

The Tao of Gumbo. Do JE! SiFUUUU!

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    perhaps not...
    There are secrets, and there are secrets.
    Not knowing this secret to the perfect Gumbo, is like learning Gung-Fu without Lien Gung. Only the outside appearance, but no inner essence.

Ahhh, but this secret is no real secret, yet knowing it, will not make your Gumbo good, just as knowing the technique will not make your Gung-Fu good.
    You need to feel it to understand it.
    Simply knowing the Gumbo secret is not the same as being able to produce good Gumbo.
    I could give you my recipe, but without this knowledge, I can assure you , your Gumbo will not be nearly as good.

It is a Journey of 10,000 pots....
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Some secrets, as I said, only became secrets later, because people lost or forgot the formula, and only a small number now have access to it.
    Here is one such secret:

[B]Jean Pierre's original "Bayou" Seasoning[/B

]1/4 cup Hungarian Paprika
    1/4 cup Cayenne Pepper
    1/4 cup Ground Black Pepper
    1/4 cup Basil Leaf
    1/2 cup Oregano
    1/4 cup White Pepper
    1 tsp Thyme

I have omitted the salt, as you can add to taste.
    Depending on the recipe, I will add Rosemary, Garlic, etc.
    this yields around 3 cups

keep this in your cupboard, it is good on anything-soups, salads, rimming the glass of a Bloody Mary,
    It's really great mixed into an Alfredo Sauce!
    and is one of the crucial ingredients to a perfect Gumbo....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Here is another Secret,
    also very crucial to "Perfect Gumbo," and many other dishes as well. I use it as a base for my cornbread/crab/crawfish stuffed catfish, as well as my chowder version of the same.

Cajun Roux
    3/4 cup Peanut Oil
    1 cup Flour
    1/2 cup Yellow Onion chopped coarse
    1/2 cup celery, chopped coarse
    1/4 tsp Bayou Seasoning

In a cast Iron skillet, heat the oil over a high flame until it begins to lightly smoke.
    Gradually add the flour in while stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Use a wooden spoon. Continue cooking and stirring for six to ten minutes, or as soon as the Roux takes on a nice dark brown color.
    Remove pan from heat and add the remaining ingredients. Whisk for 2 minutes to insure celery and onions don't burn. Set pan aside to cook, stirring mixture every couple of minutes for half an hour
    put in a container and cover tightly-this will keep for several weeks.

(I doubt it will last you that long once you taste the possibilities!)
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

hey Rik,

got anything for ratatouille? my kid's been bugging me to make it ever since he saw that movie w/the dam cooking rat...

sorry, no.
    Got a good recipe, or know of a good local place for bouillabaisse?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

back on topic (stop making me hungry) does anyone think that first video was actually any good...if it had been the second person doing the form (a nobody) would anyone be saying anything positive about it>

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    there are three reasons to keep secrets:
    1) to hold secret some technology / methodology that, when engaged in a competitive activity w/another person, gives u an edge (war, sports, medicine, finance, tiddly-winks, etc.)

2) to preserve authenticity in terms of membership to a given group (mafia, kung-fu lineage, masons, Tony the Tiger's Secret Boys Club, masons)

3) stringing people along with promise of revealing secrets, whether or not they actualy exist;

of course, all 3 can get mixed and frequently do;

in TCMA, "secrets" be of several types:
    1) where to hit someone; e.g. - vulnerable zones - and when the majority of the population didn't know squat about anatomy, this was valuable information; nowadays, anyone can do their homework and figure out where the body is more vulnerable;

2) how to hit someone - using certain types of "energy" to ostensibly to cause specific types of damage; again, this is probably more in function of the "where", that is, hitting a nerve cluster with a crane-beak versus the flat of the hand;

3) certain skill sets like hands-on sensitivity and efficiently issuing power - ok, fair enough, but this information is also acquired and used effectively across the board: GOOD wrestlers develop excellent "teng ging", GOOD boxers develop their own version of "fa jing", and GOOD European fencers develop excellent sticking / listening w/the sword; different path, same mountain-top...

4) internal practice: ok, so there is some funky stuff out there, some of which you might figure out on your own just by spending time sitting / standing quietly every day for an hour or so, but honestly, you could do just as well with an expert in pranayama and similar yogic disciplines to get the same sort of end results - Taoist internal stuff ain't all the different, there are certainly cultural mediated nuances, but that's about it; in this sub-set I would also include iron body, which is one thing that yoga doesn't cover, but I believe a lot of it isn't so much secrets as it is consistency and repetition...

5) medicine: can of worms, but contemporary medical knowledge vastly out does TCM in most areas; what it doesn't get, u can pretty much find in osteopathy (osteo manual pretty much blows away tuina), naturopathy, homeopathy and western herbology;

my point is this - if u go looking for secrets for their own sake (e.g. - I want to learn an esoteric tradition), u will find many people who have them; however, if u want results, then open ur eyes and take a look around at the world...
    Chris has toe kicked the correct on the prostate !
    Opps, sorry, I meant CV1
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    back on topic (stop making me hungry) does anyone think that first video was actually any good...if it had been the second person doing the form (a nobody) would anyone be saying anything positive about it>

Excellent point. Mr. Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Chris has toe kicked the correct on the prostate !
    Opps, sorry, I meant CV1
    You meant Hui Yin, the Chinese name for CV1

Always fun to find on fellow students of acupuncture.....
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Your statement has silenced the my critics. What you have uncovered in this community is a form of media bias. A Sifu that is respected, has been around for awhile, and is friends with the main people of this board can do no wrong. He can put out an otherwise questionable video or product and be praised for it. If Hardwork8 put out the same vibrating form people would be saying he is having a seizure. But because it is the head of the freemasons and from an obscure art...it is a deadly secret that no one knows. A similar thing happened when I posted a video of someone breaking bricks and being hit in the wing chun forum and asking if this was considered real by the mma fighters of the board. Instead of calling the video into question I was attacked.

reason #4 for holding secrets.

ITS MINE, ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and im not sharing, ever.

some people just like to keep it to themselves, what ever 'it' is...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousPower View Post
    Your statement has silenced the my critics. What you have uncovered in this community is a form of media bias. A Sifu that is respected, has been around for awhile, and is friends with the main people of this board can do no wrong. He can put out an otherwise questionable video or product and be praised for it. If Hardwork8 put out the same vibrating form people would be saying he is having a seizure. But because it is the head of the freemasons and from an obscure art...it is a deadly secret that no one knows. A similar thing happened when I posted a video of someone breaking bricks and being hit in the wing chun forum and asking if this was considered real by the mma fighters of the board. Instead of calling the video into question I was attacked.
    I don't know or don't care about mantis or mantis guys. I don't know this guy.

However, since you admit to having two accounts...

Why was it you change names every week, Water-quan?

What are you now, 40? And the best you got is straw man arguments?

Care to show the courage of your convictions and share the name of your regular handle, oh great heroic savior of all mankind?
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 06-15-2010 at 02:15 PM.