Ironically I just saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith last weekend. One of my friends worked on it and I had been meaning to see it for him. My wife rented it.
Donnie Yen and Cecilia Cheung to star in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" remake
Posted: 29 July 2011 1530 hrs

Donnie Yen (left) and Cecilia Cheung (right) will star in a Hong Kong adaptation of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith".

HONGKONG: Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen will appear alongside actress Cecilia Cheung in a Hong Kong adaptation of 2005 Hollywood action thriller "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" titled "Assassin Couple", reported Hong Kong media.

The New Asia Entertainment Group (AEG) announced Thursday that this adaptation will feature a completely different storyline from "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", though there are still some similarities.

The film will see Yen and Cheung play a couple skilled in martial arts and gunplay who try to deal with the love-hate relationship they share at home, even as they go about their lives as professional killers.

Although Yen and Cheung had both previously said they would like to take a break from film to spend time with their families, the fat pay cheque AEG waved before them had apparently changed their minds.

AEG said that Yen will take home 30 million yuan (S$5.6 million) for accepting the role while Cheung 's pay cheque is valued at 15 million yuan (S$2.8 million).

Their combined fees took up almost half the film's 100 million yuan (S$18.7 million) budget.

Filming for "Assassin Couple" is scheduled to begin in March next year.