Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Legend Of Korra

Back on TV

I've enjoyed the callbacks to the original series in this season.

THE LEGEND OF KORRA to Return to TV
    By Merrill Barr on November 25, 2014

It’s been a chaotic last few months for fans of Nickelodeon’s Avatar: The Last Airbender follow-up, The Legend of Korra. Following the rushed airing of the third season of the animated series that was originally set to premiere this fall, the network decided to also move up the premiere of the final season. However, when that decision was made, it was also revealed the final episodes would air exclusively on Nick.com every Friday until the finale. However, for unknown reasons, it appears that’s going to change.

According to an announcement made by the Legend of Korra Facebook page, the series will be returning to television for its final season on the Nickelodeon-owned cable network, Nicktoons, this Friday at 9pm. In addition, new episodes will reportedly remain premiering on Nick.com throughout December.

While we’re completely thrilled to see Korra return to television, we can’t help but again feel as if Nickelodeon dropped the ball for longtime fans. Once again, they’re playing fast and loose with avid watchers of the series who must continue tracking their favorite show in order to know when they can watch it. Season three next fall became season three next week, which became season three online only, which became season four next month but only online which became season four on TV starting Friday. None of this seems fair to a series that’s done nothing but treat its fans with the utmost respect for the last two and a half years.

But, in the end, let’s just be happy we’ll be getting closure to one of the best animated franchises to ever be created in the format it deserves.

The Legend of Korra returns to TV this Friday at 9/8c on Nicktoons and will continue to air on Nick.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Will we ever know what happened to Aang? how he died?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I think there's a lot of psychological issues that Korra is dealing with, and when she finally gets past them.... watch out! Of course, we could be potentially watching the end of the era of the Avatars. The general thrust being more harmony between nations, humans and spirits, benders and non-benders etc. Korra questioning her purpose, and having lost her connection to the previous Avatars. It could be the end of the Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    I think there's a lot of psychological issues that Korra is dealing with, and when she finally gets past them.... watch out! Of course, we could be potentially watching the end of the era of the Avatars. The general thrust being more harmony between nations, humans and spirits, benders and non-benders etc. Korra questioning her purpose, and having lost her connection to the previous Avatars. It could be the end of the Avatar.
    I think that Korra's confusion stems from the fact that she doesn't seem to know WHAT she is suppose to do/be as the avatar.
    Considering how much she always wanted to be the avatar, there is a lesson there.
    As Aang seemed to show, the avatar gets involved when he must, when there is no other choice, to RESTORE balance when the "average Joe" can't or won't.
    Korra doesn't seem to grasp that yet.

woah...wait...what? that's how it ends?! wth?

Caught the finale over the weekend. It left me confused at first until my teenager explained.
    SPOILER Apparently a lot of Korra fans have been shipping Korra and Asami (yea, 'shipping' is a teen term, another thing my teenager got me hip to). It's too bad they didn't go full out for the kiss at the end. Anime has a longstanding tradition of LGBT characters (the villains in the first season of Sailor Moon come immediately to mind). Anyway, if it ended in a kiss, man, I'd have to watch the whole series again but they just didn't push it that far. Too bad really. That would have really pushed it to another level). END SPOILER
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

To avoid spoilers I will just say this:
    Really?
    So that is the "natural spin off" left to a strong female lead?
    Seriously, that is probably one of the most pathetic story lines flops I have seen in a long time.
    As my wife put it, "Strong = butch eh?"
    Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    To avoid spoilers I will just say this:
    Really?
    So that is the "natural spin off" left to a strong female lead?
    Seriously, that is probably one of the most pathetic story lines flops I have seen in a long time.
    As my wife put it, "Strong = butch eh?"
    Sad.
    Im sorry i strongly disagree..1 its not a spinoff its a continuation, 2 korra so much strong as she was stubborn, i wouldnt call her butch..but a girl who is raised training pretty much all her life, isnt going to be exactly lady-like. to see here growth from a knuckle headed teenager into a wise avatar was fantastic. the ending with her and asami def came out of nowhere thou.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    Im sorry i strongly disagree..1 its not a spinoff its a continuation, 2 korra so much strong as she was stubborn, i wouldnt call her butch..but a girl who is raised training pretty much all her life, isnt going to be exactly lady-like. to see here growth from a knuckle headed teenager into a wise avatar was fantastic. the ending with her and asami def came out of nowhere thou.
    So you DON'T disagree since my point was that the ending DID come out of nowhere.
    They seem to be implying that a strong female lead = lesbian?
    Seriously?
    So we assume that Rhonda and Gina are or will be, eventually, lesbians too?
    I disagree that a girl that is pretty much trained since she can walk won't be lady-like, as a matter of fact all you have to do is go to any MA school and you will see just that.
    Sure they go through their "tomboyish" phase, BUT that is NOT what was insinuated here.

Sorry, it seemed that the writers wanted to make some political "pro-gay" statement, which would have been fine IF it weren't for the fact that there was NO indication of such, ever.
    Sorry, I know some are TRYING to spin it that way but anyone that has watched the WHOLE series can see that it was forced.

A lot of it came from the fan base apparently.

That's according to my teenager and several fellow teenage fans. I don't follow those fan sites. But when that went down, like I mentioned above, my kid wasn't in the least bit surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    So we assume that Rhonda and Gina are or will be, eventually, lesbians too?
    Don't crush my fantasies, bro.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That's according to my teenager and several fellow teenage fans. I don't follow those fan sites. But when that went down, like I mentioned above, my kid wasn't in the least bit surprised.

Don't crush my fantasies, bro.
    LOL !
    Fair enough and maybe you have a point there, maybe this was a "latent fantasy" of the writers because, as we know, those "Freudian slips" tend to happen quite a bit in cartoons, LOL !

My issue wasn't that they have a relationship, it was that there was no real indication or INCLINATION of Korra "playing for the other team".
    Not to mention that the "strong female = lesbian" archetype is just plainly silly, I mean, Xena called and they want their story line back, LOL !

I feel ya, s_r

When I saw the finale, I was all, well, like I said above "woah...wait...what?" But my kid kindly decoded it for me, just like with the iPhone.

Now I wonder if that's the end of the franchise, especially after all the kerfuffle this series had with Nickelodeon. The comics are still going strong, but those have been a continuation of the Aang arc. I'm not sure that Korra left enough ambiguity like Aang (for example, one of the comic series reveals what happened with Zuko's mom). It still has a mighty fan base, but then, so does a lot of anime.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    When I saw the finale, I was all, well, like I said above "woah...wait...what?" But my kid kindly decoded it for me, just like with the iPhone.

Now I wonder if that's the end of the franchise, especially after all the kerfuffle this series had with Nickelodeon. The comics are still going strong, but those have been a continuation of the Aang arc. I'm not sure that Korra left enough ambiguity like Aang (for example, one of the comic series reveals what happened with Zuko's mom). It still has a mighty fan base, but then, so does a lot of anime.
    I think we can agree that Korra was certainly no Aang and that the Korra series was certainly no "Last Airbender".
    Nevertheless it has its fan base.
    My girls loved the 1st season, the whole strong female lead was very applealing to them ( they loved Katara in Avatar of course and they loved all the female characters).
    They expressed frustration with Korra being so naive ( season 2) and so easily beaten at times BUT they still loved how "kick ass" she COULD be at times.
    That said, they preferred The Last Airbender hands down.

tru dat

Re-watching the original Airbender series, Korra doesn't live up to Aang but it still had merits, for sure. It was sort of a gateway for anime. Now it's all about Fairy Tail, Sword Art Online and Sailor Moon (the original - Sailor Moon Crystal lost the most key element, that hysterical sense of humor).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

IGN Best TV Animated Series winner 2014

Beat out Clone Wars, Archer, South Park and Rick and Morty.

See IGN's announcement here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

12 episodes

Korra was S'possed to be a mini-series with-inna series of shorts about the lives of differnt Avatar.
    It originally ended with Korra losing her powers to Amon due to her inability to connect with her higher self (the AVATAR STATE) but it droned on for four long seasons...

Studio Ghibli was to do the second season but there were some intense misunderstandings and the second season was delayed almost two years while they switched back to Studio Mir. There's a whole lot more to the story but I'm not the one to tell it😝
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up