Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Legend Of Korra

I am up to episode 12 I think, or was it 11 ??
    The last one we saw was the one where they are putting the beats on Tenzin...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

There's only a few more episodes, s_r

Nick is putting up the whole series online free access for Labor Day Weekend.

s_r: Did you feel the series picked up at the end of this season? It wasn't working for me so well until the last few episodes of Season 3. Then I started enjoying it a lot more. The action was better and it felt more connected to the original series with Zuko and a few of the other old characters/plots/locales making appearances.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Season 4 teaser

Preview clip. Is this going to be strictly online now?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Korra's cool but I'd prefer to pretend that Book 2 never happened...

The final season starts Oct 3, 2014

Here's the trailer on Nick.com. She had me with that very last name said in the trailer.

Surprise! Legend Of Korra's Final Season Debuts In Less Than A Month!
    Lauren Davis
    9/10/14 6:16pm

Surprise! Legend Of Korra's Final Season Debuts In Less Than A Month!

This has been a bizarre year for The Legend of Korra. First, Book 3 was released with little notice; then the show was yanked off the air and made an online-only property. Now the creators have announced that Book 4: Balance will premiere on October 3rd—of this year.

The creators did announce during San Diego Comic Con that production on Book 4 was nearly complete, but we had no idea it was so close to being ready for air. I suppose we should look on the bright side—we don't have to wait too long to see the next chapter in Korra's life. But releasing Book 4 so soon after Book 3 is another perplexing move on Nickelodeon's part.

Like the latter half of Book 3, Book 4 will premiere only online, not on television.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sweet.....

Season 4: Balance premieres today

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

13 years it's been...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  85.9 KB
    It's a wrap:)
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Season 4 is off to a great start

It's all about those callbacks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I read all of the Scripts never saw one episode
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

My Son, Paul Tassi is a writer who by-passed print media, getting his start in the blogosphere. He writes a column for Forbes called Insert Coin about the gaming industry, but has his fingers in many more pies...

The Strange, Sad Abuse Of 'The Last Airbender' And 'The Legend of Korra'

When people ask me what my all-time favorite shows are, I can’t say I’m a hipster with a particularly original list. I love The Wire, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, and a host of other programs universally regarded as excellent. But one sneaks on that list that might not appear on some others? Avatar: The Last Airbender.

It may seem strange to place a Nickelodeon animated series about element-wielding warriors on a list next to the best comedies and dramas of all time, but years later, the show still holds a special place in my heart. It’s not just one of the best animated shows I’ve seen (and I generally don’t like anime), it’s one of the best shows period, and when I first watched the series, I was amazed with the brilliance of the universe, the complexity of the characters, the humor, the emotion, all of it. It was pretty close to perfect.

The same is true to some extent for The Legend of Korra, the sequel series to the original Avatar: The Last Airbender that fast-forwards a few decades into the future, creating a mostly new cast and storylines within the same universe. Again, it’s one of the best shows airing now, animated or otherwise.

And yet, what’s happening/has happened to the universe of The Last Airbender is one of the greatest tragedies of pop culture. The show has been routinely abused, not only in its adaptations to other forms of media, but also in how the show itself is being treated by its own parent network, Nickelodeon. Right now, the fourth season of Korra is airing only online, pulled from airwaves for reasons fans are still puzzling out. And all of this has become even more relevant given the recent release of Platinum’s Legend of Korra video game, which is already being declared one of the worst releases of the year.

But to rewind, things started going downhill years ago. The original show was allowed to air on Nickelodeon without incident and attracted a worldwide fanbase as a result. Its popularity allowed Hollywood to seriously consider a big-budget blockbuster adaptation of the animated show, with live actors standing in for their 2D counterparts.

The movie was a disaster from the start. The film was helmed by director M. Night Shyamalan, a superfan of the show, but someone whose star had fallen sharply over the past decade, with each new movie worse than his last. But the real problem was said to be with the producers behind the film, who kept forcing elements into it that ruined everything. There are many urban legends about all the awfulness that happened with The Last Airbender, but chief among them was the desire for an all-white lead cast (the characters are Inuit/Asian on the show), with the villainous “Fire Nation” being entirely Indian. Lead actor Noah Ringer was not actually an actor, but a martial artist chosen for his acrobatic skills above all else. The show’s trademark humor was stripped completely from the film, as were a large number of subplots from the show Shyamalan wanted included.

All of this added up to a terrible script read by a terrible cast that produced a terrible film. The movie scored a 6% on Rotten Tomatoes, a score usually reserved for straight-to-DVD horror sequels. It’s widely regarded as one of the worst big-budget films ever made, and not in a “it just wasn’t marketed well” John Carter way. It really is that bad.

And now, The Last Airbender’s other attempt to break out of TV has been met with similarly scathing reviews. The sequel series, The Legend of Korra, now has its own video game made by Bayonetta’s Platinum Games. Reviews are rolling in and in an industry where a 6/10 is a failing grade, the game has been given 3s and 4s by major outlets. This is creating a very, very weird situation where one studio, Platinum, is releasing a GOTY contender in the form of Bayonetta 2, and one of the worst games of the year in the same week.

Again, the game shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the source material, all but completely devoid of a plot and other characters outside Korra herself. Combat is serviceable, depending on who you ask, but the overall experience is desperately lacking. Perhaps it’s not quite as bad as The Last Airbender movie debacle, but it’s definitely a big miss by most accounts.

These are two forms of media that could have done extremely well with the brilliant, element-bending universe of The Last Airbender, but the property was butchered into something unrecognizable not once, but twice now.

The saddest part of all of this is that the show’s own masters, Nickelodeon, are abusing the one aspect of the universe that’s actually still good, the show itself. Even after The Last Airbender was beloved and successful enough to spawn Korra, Nickelodeon pulled it off the air midway through the third season. Then, they decided to air the fourth season almost immediately after, but only streaming online.

Fans are still trying to figure out what the hell is going on, with the common thought that a combination of (relatively) low ratings and themes too mature for the channel have caused it simply not to fit into their line-up. That does make some amount of sense. The Legend of Korra is a very “adult” show, not in terms of violence or sex, but rather its actual maturity level. With that said, it is still bizarre that a network that has 24 hours of airtime every day can’t find twenty minutes a week to air a show better than most live action dramas on TV today.

All of this is just profoundly sad, and it’s a tragedy how one of the most innovative, creative universes filled with rich, interesting characters has missed so many opportunities to expand into other forms of media effectively, and now the show itself is under attack by the channel that birthed it in the first place.

I won’t be playing The Legend of Korra to completion, as I don’t need that series tainted like The Last Airbender movie marred the original Avatar. There’s no word on where the series will go after Korra wraps, but hopefully Nickelodeon’s mismanagement won’t mean the universe is dead forever. There absolutely could be more sequel series, actually good film adaptations and amazing video games in The Last Airbender’s future, but the brand has been dragged through the mud for years now, and hopefully it’s not permanently crippled as a result.

Follow me on Twitter, like my page on Facebook, and pick up a copy of my sci-fi novel, The Last Exodus, and its sequel, The Exiled Earthborn, along with my new Forbes book, Fanboy Wars.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

All good things

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  91.3 KBp
    Must come to an end...
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    My Son, Paul Tassi is a writer who by-passed print media, getting his start in the blogosphere. He writes a column for Forbes called Insert Coin about the gaming industry, but has his fingers in many more pies...

The Strange, Sad Abuse Of 'The Last Airbender' And 'The Legend of Korra'
    The only truly successful adaptation to other media is the Dark Horse Comics series. All of them good. Continuing immediately after TLA.

Geof Darrow's take

Behold: Geof Darrow Draws ‘The Legend Of Korra’ For Limited Edition Print
    by Chris Sims November 21, 2014 4:39 PM

Each and every week, ComicsAlliance puts the spotlight on some of our favorite pieces in our regular Best Art Ever (This Week) feature. Every now and then, though, something comes along that deserves to take the spotlight all on its own, and there’s a new art print that definitely fits the bill. In this case, it’s because it combines two of our favorite things: Artbender Artist Geof Darrow and The Legend of Korra.

The print takes Darrow’s unmatched hyperdetailed style and applies it to the world of the show, and while there’s sadly no bending involved — presumably because our frail human minds couldn’t handle seeing Darrow unleashing the power of the Avatar, Shaolin Cowboy style — it’s got Korra and Naga, her trusty polar-bear dog, grumpily riding through a crowded street.

What really gets me about the print is how distinct Darrow’s style is from the usual animation of the show, and how much Korra pops out of the image just by virtue of the colors Darrow chose. It’s like seeing Korra dropped into a completely different world, and that makes me want to see other artists do the same.

This particular image was inspired by Book 4 of the series, and was limited to 375 copies, all signed and numbered by Darrow. If you want to jazz up your walls (or make a happy holiday for your ol’ pals here at ComicsAlliance), you can pick up a copy over a the Nickelodeon store for $64.99.
    I'd love to see Darrow take on a full-length comic. His Shaolin Cowboy stuff was gorgeous eye-candy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Nick is putting up the whole series online free access for Labor Day Weekend.

s_r: Did you feel the series picked up at the end of this season? It wasn't working for me so well until the last few episodes of Season 3. Then I started enjoying it a lot more. The action was better and it felt more connected to the original series with Zuko and a few of the other old characters/plots/locales making appearances.
    Season 3 was OK but only OK because it seemed they made Korra less powerful than Zair, as a matter of fact, it seems that going into season 4 and up to the last episode I just saw (#8), that has continued.
    My family remarked that Korra getting her butt kicked is becoming a recurring theme...

I am hoping that changes and soon to be honest.

I friend of mine mentioned that this series has gone from pretty good ( season 1) to good enough ( season 2) to really ?? ( season 3 and 4).