Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: questions from a new-B

you mis interperate what i wrote. i said to use the information he learned to go find a physical teacher.

i look at hitting the bag 100 times as studying....everything i do for kungfu is all study to me.

but even after i started doing lots of hard physical work, i never stopped reading.

i am a sponge and i absorb from any source that leaks.

most martial art books should be about history and philosophy in my opinion why try to read about doing push ups or kicks? that stupid, just go DOOOO them. dont read about it.
    Last edited by Lucas; 06-15-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

xin yi and xing yi are a bit different.

we all start with san ti shi. we also end with san ti shi.

my kung fu brother he was asked to practice san ti for 3 years before anything else.

from day 1 to day whenever, you still do san ti.

we may then practice pi beng zhuan pao heng, or 5 elements or wu xing fist.

you may pi left and right 100 times each period or more.

before you may beng---

etc

san ti 3 months

pi 3 months

beng 3 months

---

that is why it is called gong fu.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    my kung fu brother he was asked to practice san ti for 3 years before anything else.
    I was asked to practice "1 step 3 punches" for 3 years when I was 11. It was boring like hell.

One SC guy was asked to practice "hip throw" for 2 years. During the 3rd year he already used his "hip throw" to win his 1st tournament.

When the striking art guy is still hitting the thin air, the throwing art guy already throws his opponent over his head. There is a big difference in training result between both arts.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-15-2010 at 03:18 PM.

well i understand the act of reading isnt doing kung fu thats obvious, but i would have never got off my butt in the first place if i didnt have a direction to go in the first place,i beleive practicing my qi gong has helped and will form a solid base to progress from,and i will progress from there. i know your trying to motivate me and thanks.

as for bruces book i know its a free style im not trying to mimic him but his idea are good like learning the most effectice counters for a certain situation and certain principal's hes added, like kicking always lends its self to a take down so it would be advantageous of me not to do too much kicking, they can be timed just like a punch and they can alter your balance if your not careful, just a small example of what i mean.

and i will look around too see if there are classes at the Y or similar places,thanks.

I know you said you'r not interested in MMA stuff. But my suggestion would be to look for a boxing gym. I dosn't matter where you live there's always somking of boxing gym with in reasonible distance.

If you like Bruce Lee's stuff then I would deffinatly suggest it. Alot of what I see in his books looks like boxing to me. I started off boxing, it will give you a good foundation on wich to build on. If you box and study kung fu books and dvds I think you will eventually find your own way. Sort of the way Bruce did.

yeah alot of his moves are boxing related,its kind of why i stopped reading the whole book, i just dont know all of strikes i was just confusing myself,i figured when i had a good idea of what they where id go back to it
    examples:
    angle in high side kick
    reverse one-two hook kick

high rear cross punch
    low lead hook
    and so on. my buddy wanted to join a boxing gym but all the ones around me seem like very shaddy ,hole in the wall establishments its just gonna take some looking around, thanks for the advice.

rec centers

Quote Originally Posted by tommyf350 View Post
    ...........and i will look around too see if there are classes at the Y or similar places,thanks.
    Hey Tommy;

The Y will probably have some kind of classes... but there will be a lot of different local community rec centers that have classes too. And they will be cheaper than the Y. You will have choices between the different places of different styles of kung fu and taijiquan. Dive in somewhere and see if you like it, if not, move on.....
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    Also Dale Dugas a frequent poster on this forum teaches in the Boston area;
    one could do far far worse than him in terms of finding a sifu...
    Thanks for the kind words, brother.

I teach every Sunday at 33 Harrison Ave 7th Floor Boston MA from 10AM to 12PM for Baguazhang.

You are more than welcome to come visit us.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

thanks for the invite,ill definatley checkout your place,it may be a while before i get ransportation of my own,but ill stop by asap. do you teach xing yi (hsing i ) as well ?

I have been exposed to Xingyiquan, but do not teach it formally.

I am primarily a Baguazhang teacher. though I can also teach you Iron Palm, Iron Vest, and Shuai Jiao.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

ok ill still check ya out.