Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jingwu: The School that Transformed Kung Fu by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo

welcome

Quote Originally Posted by tommyf350 View Post
    its on my list of books im looking to purchase.
    Hey Tommy;

Perhaps this is redundant, ..... but if not, welcome on board!!!!!
    .... Skip

thanks, im glad i found the place. also didnt bruce lee make a movie i think the title was jing wu men where he plays a deciple of hou yuanjia? do you know what style hou yuanjia used ? wudang?

stop called me a dog, Skip J.

If you saw me at Tiger Claw's 2nd KungFuMagazine.com Championship, you'd have seen me work like a dog.

Remember this thread?

We actually did a Chin Woo - Huo Yuan Jia Collector's Issue in 2006 September/October. You should give that a gander, tommyf350. We also did a cover story with Chin Woo's main U.S. rep, Jimmy Wong in our 2009 July/August issue.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A book I will HAVE TO HAVE
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Fists of Fury

thanks, im glad i found the place. also didnt bruce lee make a movie i think the title was jing wu men where he plays a deciple of hou yuanjia? do you know what style hou yuanjia used ? wudang?
    Hey Tommy;
    I can't say, I remember there were several "Fists of Fury" movies about that - but that was such a long time ago..... I thought the recent Jet Li "Fearless" told his story very well, I'm just not sure there weren't a few idealistic scenes that were not historically correct.

Jing Wu is a Chinese athletic association that promotes martial arts of all kinds... all styles of kung fu, taiji, you name it. I'm not sure that his own particular style has been mentioned.... maybe Brian's book will have it.
    .... Skip

some other lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    If you saw me at Tiger Claw's 2nd KungFuMagazine.com Championship, you'd have seen me work like a dog.

Remember this thread?

We actually did a Chin Woo - Huo Yuan Jia Collector's Issue in 2006 September/October. You should give that a gander, tommyf350. We also did a cover story with Chin Woo's main U.S. rep, Jimmy Wong in our 2009 July/August issue.
    Hey Gene; you mite not be lucky in some other lifetime, but I'm not gonna be sharing a plane with any Masters and Grandmasters... I will be in your class when you get there...

It's kinda funny you would reference those issues... I bought the 2009 issue and read your reference to this forum in there and here I am. I also read your promo spot to subscribe and did.....
    .... Skip

Looking forward to getting this book. I pre-ordered it back in April, and it just began shipping to me yesterday.

Just got mine today, it's awesome!
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

This is just off the top of my head, but if memory serves me right he practiced Mi Tsung I (Lost Track or Labrynth style).

Jin wu actually was about atheletic programs for all civilians.

chinese were using a lot of opiums, and gained the nickname of the weakest of east asia.

on the other hand, guo shu guan were tied to military and research and promotion of CMA in the military, police etc

while you are giving all the credits to jin wu and huo

please do not forget guo shu guan people.

thanks.

Thanks for the kind words. Elizabeth and I hope folks enjoy the book. One of the things that might surprise (or disappoint!) people is that there is next to nothing known about Huo Laoshi. And when I say “known”, I mean reliably known from contemporaneous documents. The Jingwu 10 Year Anniversary book says nothing about him other than listing him as a founder and having a full page photo of him.

I do have a section in the book talking about the foreigner fights but what it says in essence is; could have happened but no proof. Huo was from day one and important symbol of what the Jingwu was trying to do. But----next to nothing known about the actual facts of his life. Like all symbols, Huo was basically made up in the sense of urban legends immediately started to surround him and swallow up any and all actual facts about his life.

One thing that is a fact is---the Jingwu was, and continues to be, an important part of Chinese martial arts history and development.

Take care,
    Brian
    p.s. Happy Dragon Boat Festival, which is today!

As to Huo Laoshi's martial arts system. His family's system (which they were quite famous for as they ran a bodyguard service) was Lost Track Boxing, Mizongquan (迷蹤拳). Huo Laoshi however was not allowed to teach that family system to outsiders. The Huo family wanted, as was the norm in Qing dynasty, to keep their "trade secrets" within the family.

So Huo Laoshi picked out various techniques and forms to teach the public at the Jingwu Association classes. This system he called Lost Track Techniques, (迷蹤藝). As to what exactly his selection criteria was nobody knows. My suspicion is that the techniques and forms he taught in public were the same as in his family boxing but he left out (again, as was the norm when Chinese martial arts were making the transition into modern times) was two keys to Chinese martial arts fighting:
    1. hitting the weights to build basic strength
    and 2. sparring with protective gear

take care,
    Brian

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by brianlkennedy View Post
    As to Huo Laoshi's martial arts system. His family's system (which they were quite famous for as they ran a bodyguard service) was Lost Track Boxing, Mizongquan (迷蹤拳). Huo Laoshi however was not allowed to teach that family system to outsiders. The Huo family wanted, as was the norm in Qing dynasty, to keep their "trade secrets" within the family.

So Huo Laoshi picked out various techniques and forms to teach the public at the Jingwu Association classes. This system he called Lost Track Techniques, (迷蹤藝). As to what exactly his selection criteria was nobody knows. My suspicion is that the techniques and forms he taught in public were the same as in his family boxing but he left out (again, as was the norm when Chinese martial arts were making the transition into modern times) was two keys to Chinese martial arts fighting:

take care,
    Brian
    Thank you Brian, I knew you would find out what there was to know.....
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by brianlkennedy View Post

take care,
    Brian
    If there is one thing I hate, is when people give out trade secrets !!
    Semi-nude ninja women with pruned hedges have been sent to dispatch you !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !