Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jingwu: The School that Transformed Kung Fu by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo

FYI...This book is a lot cheaper on Amazon
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I already ordered my Book
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

How, when and how much to release of a family system is an interesting part of martial arts research. It would have been very interesting to have heard the discussions going on with Huo, his father, uncles and the grandson (who ended up doing most of the actual teaching at the Jingwu) about how to proceed. It reminds me somewhat of the Gracie family and the "cyber screaming" about Gracie Combatitives and whether that had "*****-ed off the family name".

It is kind of the same problem.

take care,
    Brian

I received the book yesterday afternoon, and must say I read nearly all of it in a couple sittings. Great job. I esp. liked the part comparing the myths and actual or likely facts of Huo Yuanjia. So many myths have been immortalized in stories and movies that they've taken on a life of their own. Great photos.

Also about how people can't even get clear information on many martial artists or incidences of the past 50 years, let alone a century or centuries ago. As mentioned, the Bruce Lee/Wong Jack-Man fight. It's taken on legendary proportions, probably with more versions of the story than people who actually witnessed it. And for many of them, I do bet it's very hard to give an objective account based on relationship or ulterior motives. Had there been film or video of that fight, it most likely would not have lived up to the legends surrounding it.

family systems

Quote Originally Posted by brianlkennedy View Post
    How, when and how much to release of a family system is an interesting part of martial arts research. It would have been very interesting to have heard the discussions going on with Huo, his father, uncles and the grandson (who ended up doing most of the actual teaching at the Jingwu) about how to proceed. It reminds me somewhat of the Gracie family and the "cyber screaming" about Gracie Combatitives and whether that had "*****-ed off the family name".

It is kind of the same problem.

take care,
    Brian
    Hello Brian;

Thanks! Most folks just do not have a clue that Jing Wu is about the school, not the particular styles and/or systems taught within any particular location. Imagining discussion between the family members of spreading the family secret system far and wide is interesting to contemplate.

By the way, Brian and Elizabeth's previous book:
    Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals - A Historical Survey
    Is a "must have" for any CMA'ist to read.....

It has references to "Jing Wu" on 4 pages, two of which are quite descriptive....

It would have to be a very small family system to not be included in the "CMA Training Manuals", and those that produced written material is in there too.

At lunch, I stopped in to buy "Jing Wu" - and Gene's book too - at Border's, but it was only available on line; and they didn't have Gene's at all. I came back and ordered both of them, but it looks like I will not be getting Gene to sign mine next week..... bummer....

Of course Gene, that lucky dog, he got a free copy of "Jing Wu" to review already..... yeah, we know Gene; you're working yourself to the bone trying to keep us all happy, a thankless task I'm sure....
    .... Skip

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I received the book yesterday afternoon, and must say I read nearly all of it in a couple sittings. Great job. I esp. liked the part comparing the myths and actual or likely facts of Huo Yuanjia. So many myths have been immortalized in stories and movies that they've taken on a life of their own. Great photos.
    Yessss.... I thought so....
    .... Skip

I received my copy yesterday and I haven't put it down. I fell asleep reading it and woke up with it still in my hand—IT’S THAT GOOD! My only qualm with it is, like his last work, references are non-existent. Yes, he does note that most of his material comes from the Jingwu ten-year, 50-year, and Hawaiian 50-year anniversary books, but not everything he says can come from these. The book is full of so much mouth-watering material (beyond the scope of Jingwu), but there are no references to follow up on. Even references to various pages in the anniversary books would have been helpful.

Just read it. Great addition to a library.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Good Morning,

Let me answer a couple of the comments:

Jimbo,
    Thanks so much for the kind words about the book. I will pass them along to Elizabeth. She and I are happy that people find the book of interest.

You mentioned that chapter in the back where I talk about “Historical Methods in Chinee Martial Arts Research”. I think that is such an important area to talk about because there are a number of important factors that are often overlooked when talking about martial arts history. And like you mentioned, it is very hard to pin down the truth of “historical events” that have occurred in modern times, even for example since my martial arts career started in the 1970s . I have seen a huge body of mythology grow up around such people as Robert Smith, Bruce Lee, the Gracies and others.

Skip J. ,
    As always, thanks much and yes, you are so right about the Jingwu being far more about the movement as a whole and less about individual styles of martial arts. In many ways the Jingwu was a social movement as much as a martial arts movement. It really points out how martial arts history and wider cultural history interrelate.

Ghostexorcist,
    Elizabeth and I would like to say thanks to you too. Both of us really appreciate the support from readers and fellow historians. As to the references, I do agree that bibliographies and references would have been better but the practical aspects of doing those things make them impossible.

Was there a particular area that you were interested in pursuing? If so maybe I can help you out with some references.

MasterKiller,
    Thanks much, we are glad you enjoyed it.

Take care,
    Brian

This book is a great accomplishment, important for anyone interested in the development of martial culture in the 20th century. As a long time admirer of the Jing Wu/Jing Mo branches I wish them many more years of service. To authors, a personal thanks for their efforts in making this available. This is a solid overview of Jing Wu philosophy and history.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Got Mine yesterday and already read it from cover to cover! Fantastic and informative book by a good friend in Brian and Elizabeth!

Thank you both for your very valuable contribution to the Chinese Martial Arts.

Ron Goninan
    China Fuzhou Zhenlan Crane Boxing Australia
    White Crane Research Institute Inc
    http://www.whitecranegongfu.info
    A seeker of the way

Just received my copy and I'm loving it! Great job Brian and Elizabeth! Another excellent addition to the English-language literature of the Chinese martial arts.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Good Morning Cerebus, JD Howland and Minghequan;
    Thanks much for the good reviews. Over the long weekend I sat down and watched the old Bruce Lee movie Jingwu Men (Jingwu Gate--or as it was released here in the US, "Fists of Fury"). It was quite interesting to see what in that movie was accurate and what in it was nonsense. Oddly enough the movie did, in several odd ways, reflect some of the realities of the Jingwu's early years. Over the next day or so I will put some of my thoughts together and maybe Gene will let me publish a short e-zine article on it.

take care,
    Brian

I love Brian Kennedy

(and not in the dark, creepy way I love Gene lol)

Keep up the great work man! Really
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I changed the title of this thread from 'new jingwu book'

Apparently there are two new Jingwu books out, both well timed for Jingwu's 100th anniversary. There's another coming out of the UK, or so my ninjas tell me, and I didn't want there to be any confusion.

Read Martial Arts of the Jingwu by our own Brian L. Kennedy.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart