Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ernie Barrios (ABMVT) Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    I actually had lunch with Ernie and a few of the other guys in the vid about a month ago - just about the time when that vid was about to be made. We had lunch right here in NYC's Little Italy.

He said that he was visiting a bunch of cities one-after-the-other....including the thing in London with Kevin Bell, David Peterson, and some other WSL people...

and he emailed me a link to the vid that appears on this thread several weeks ago, as well as some discussion about the WSL lineage London seminar after it occurred.

Hell, I played lead guitar (including lots of blues) waaaaaay long ago - for about 10 years; and in fact, gave up playing in bands when I took up wing chun in 1975.

Ernie's cool.

Victor,

Did you and Ernie have a chance to touch hands or train together??

James

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    and he emailed me a link to the vid that appears on this thread several weeks ago, as well as some discussion about the WSL lineage London seminar after it occurred.
    I don't mean to bag on Ernie "Muddy" Barrios video too bad. And if he allowed subarbanites and was near me I'd probably get out and show some support for his tour.

He is a good guy - remember his posts from around here. And my opinion is I think he's got some skillz too.

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Victor,

James
    Ernie doesnt 'Touch Hands' ...hi ! can we touch hands ?

Victor,

James
    ***NO, it was just lunch.

I don't see why what Ernie said in the interview has to relate to the video attached to it, I believe Kenton may be responsible for that since it was his interview, I guess he decided to add a vid link to add a visual to it. One is seperate from the other.

James
    You're right on the money, James. We always try to add video or a picture to our posts.

Best,
    CTK
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Yea, I always hoped a forum could be similar to a few martial arts guys sitting around talking shop. But then I realize when I do that in real life with my sparring partners the basis of conversation is the physical interaction.

So the lack of physical interaction makes it hard to come to conclusions here...let alone have any "epiphany's".
    That's how it works OUTSIDE the WC forum, typically.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

My point of the video is that it didn't seem to be cohesive with what Ernie was talking about, that's all.

Last time I'll chime in on this.

I was the one who put the video to the text. If you believe that the video and the interview didn't vibe, you can blame it on me.

But...I think that some of you are missing the point. Ernie addressed IN the interview how he ties his passions together: hip-hop, video editing and Wing Chun. I think we all do that to a certain degree and I feel that this is exactly what is going on in the video and why it was a perfect fit for the blog post.

Alright. I'm outta here! Enjoy (or not) the interview!

Best,
    CTK
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Last time I'll chime in on this.

I was the one who put the video to the text. If you believe that the video and the interview didn't vibe, you can blame it on me.

But...I think that some of you are missing the point. Ernie addressed IN the interview how he ties his passions together: hip-hop, video editing and Wing Chun. I think we all do that to a certain degree and I feel that this is exactly what is going on in the video and why it was a perfect fit for the blog post.

Alright. I'm outta here! Enjoy (or not) the interview!

Best,
    CTK
    Ah, I see, I'm sorry I though the video was suppose to highlight the MA view Ernie was stating.
    My bad.

Long time no write guys !! hope all of you are doing well and training hard ..

Kenton,
    thanks for taking to time to dive into my demented mind ,,I't was fun bro

James,, Kevin hit the nail on the head ,,the idea of ''touching hands to convey skill '' makes me want to rip my eyes out ,,..I'm all about meeting cool people now and enjoying them for WHO they are not make it some ''opportunity '' LOL
    so meeting Vic was all about meeting up with a long time friend and i had a blast chatting with the brother ,,look forward to hanging out next time I'm up in NY ,,
    Vic ,,looks like were going to have to break out the guitars !

and as for the interview and Vid ,, Vids are changing for me ,,I'm heading more into looking at the feeling of why we train ,who we are ,and the fun we have ,,in the end i find that much more interesting then the angle of a pak sau ,,

They NY trip was my first trip with a few of my LA guys and meeting the NY guys and the places we went things we did ..the blues playing was totally random dude had some guitars in his pad and next thing I know my boy Ariel was playing [wasn't me I play slide on a steal resonator ]
    5 min later were training in MT Vernon then later back in Brooklyn
    I love the whole randomness of it ,,just real life stuff
    I wanted to capture that and give it ot the guys as a memory .

I'm kind of over the whole ''Look at me '' let me tell you why were this and there that of MA .. just getting back to what got me into this in the first place ,,evolving and growing and new adventures ..speaking of which I'm packing for a Class V whitewater run so peace Luv and elbow grease Ya'll keep bangin !!!!
    hope our roads cross ...

E.muddy waters ,,well more like Son House or Johnny Shines lol

oh James cant wait for the Canadian invasion in Aug !!!!
    Last edited by Ernie; 06-17-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Ernie,

if you and your crew ever make it up to the Bay Area, give me a shout. And bring your guitar too! . I got some Elmore James licks that need dusting off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Long time no write guys !! hope all of you are doing well and training hard ..

Kenton,
    thanks for taking to time to dive into my demented mind ,,I't was fun bro

James,, Kevin hit the nail on the head ,,the idea of ''touching hands to convey skill '' makes me want to rip my eyes out ,,..I'm all about meeting cool people now and enjoying them for WHO they are not make it some ''opportunity '' LOL
    so meeting Vic was all about meeting up with a long time friend and i had a blast chatting with the brother ,,look forward to hanging out next time I'm up in NY ,,
    Vic ,,looks like were going to have to break out the guitars !

and as for the interview and Vid ,, Vids are changing for me ,,I'm heading more into looking at the feeling of why we train ,who we are ,and the fun we have ,,in the end i find that much more interesting then the angle of a pak sau ,,

They NY trip was my first trip with a few of my LA guys and meeting the NY guys and the places we went things we did ..the blues playing was totally random dude had some guitars in his pad and next thing I know my boy Ariel was playing [wasn't me I play slide on a steal resonator ]
    5 min later were training in MT Vernon then later back in Brooklyn
    I love the whole randomness of it ,,just real life stuff
    I wanted to capture that and give it ot the guys as a memory .

I'm kind of over the whole ''Look at me '' let me tell you why were this and there that of MA .. just getting back to what got me into this in the first place ,,evolving and growing and new adventures ..speaking of which I'm packing for a Class V whitewater run so peace Luv and elbow grease Ya'll keep bangin !!!!
    hope our roads cross ...

E.muddy waters ,,well more like Son House or Johnny Shines lol

oh James cant wait for the Canadian invasion in Aug !!!!
    Hi Bro,

That was the point I was going to make, like I stated in my post, to me your all about relationships and sharing experiences together. I find it interesting and refreshing that no training or discovery of each others skills went on between you and Vic, since the two of you have had plenty of discussion here in the past regarding WC things. It proves what you are into it for

James

Anyone who has had the pleasure to meet, train and discuss Wing Chun with Ernie would know that he is consistent in his approach. While it evolves, it does so organically. It's not some flavor of the moment type of thing. Like it or not, he understands what he's doing and does it well. At least that's how I see it.

Peace.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

"so meeting Vic was all about meeting up with a long time friend and i had a blast chatting with the brother, look forward to hanging out next time I'm up in NY, Vic, looks like were going to have to break out the guitars!" (Ernie)

***I'M DOWN.

It took me a while to get around to this, and it's now a couple pages down the blog, but I enjoyed it once I found it.

Kenton's blog is an unusual (to me) array of subjects, and I'll spend some more time there. New perspectives never hurt anyone.

As for the forum, I see this more like a pub where people sit around bullsh1tting and talking smack. You might get a flash of inspiration or even learn something new, but that would be entirely coincidental and pretty uncommon.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!