Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ernie Barrios (ABMVT) Interview

Ernie Barrios (ABMVT) Interview

Hey everyone,

If you're interested, Ernie took some time out of his schedule and did an interview for us:

www.darkwingchun.com

Enjoy,
    CTK
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Good interview Kenton, but I predict it will fall upon blind eyes. There so much ego agenda pushin here that people will overlook the interview and continue to scwabble amongst each other.

Ernie is very unique in that he has the actual skills and abilities and IMO is just what the WC system needs today as a modern day coach/leader, but he isnt into any of that nor does he push any agenda to acquire noteriety, fame, fortune or status from the WC community. Too bad this forum has gone down hill, we lost a great contributor in him, as well as others that have left this place for similiar reasons

James

Nice interview.

And stop being such a prophet of gloom, James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Nice interview.

And stop being such a prophet of gloom, James.
    Just calling it as I see it bro..Maybe the message would sink in if more people say it. I remember this forum as a good place generally to gain information and have real discussions, instead of this school yard stuff we see today, although I will admit some of the recent threads like "body structure functional application"," the key" and others along those lines are interesting, as these are things we can actually discuss and debate about, but as always it turns into a personality/ego conflict when others just can't agree to disagree in a civil manner.

James

To me it's always been a mix where you have to sort through the static to get to content.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    To me it's always been a mix where you have to sort through the static to get to content.
    So much ego in-fighting instead of learning the way of in-fighting, it's like listening to an short wave broad cast, got to tune out all that static. Too bad, So sad!

"IGNORE" is your friend.

Not taking anything personally, and really trying to understand what is being stated is important to good communication.

Also, being in a good frame of mind, believing that one may possibly be incorrect, or static in the communication in the process of learning, are all ways to look at improving your knowledge.

Chinese to English language is a big gap. Personality is a big gap. Secrecy is a big gap. Cultural differences are a big gap. Old fashioned thinking is a big gap. Somewhere in the process, there is always "noise".

But a forum is not a way to get lessons.

Yea, I always hoped a forum could be similar to a few martial arts guys sitting around talking shop. But then I realize when I do that in real life with my sparring partners the basis of conversation is the physical interaction.

So the lack of physical interaction makes it hard to come to conclusions here...let alone have any "epiphany's".
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Oh I LIKE Ernie
    But, while he talked a good talk and I agree with him, the video didn't seem the translate what he was saying.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Yea, I always hoped a forum could be similar to a few martial arts guys sitting around talking shop. But then I realize when I do that in real life with my sparring partners the basis of conversation is the physical interaction.

So the lack of physical interaction makes it hard to come to conclusions here...let alone have any "epiphany's".
    Yes, I think that is the nature of forums in general. There's the plus side of interacting globally, but the minus side of it being a somewhat limited form of interaction.

There isn't generally more static here than on most any other lightly moderated forum. And heavily moderated forums are very political, restrictive on opposing viewpoints, and generally vanilla. I'm not a big fan.

That's at least my take on it.

But then again I could be mistaken and it all could just be the relative amount of degrees of how right I am and how wrong all you guys are.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Oh I LIKE Ernie
    But, while he talked a good talk and I agree with him, the video didn't seem to translate what he was saying.
    ***I NOTICED the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Oh I LIKE Ernie
    But, while he talked a good talk and I agree with him, the video didn't seem the translate what he was saying.
    Dude, I kind of got lost between Ernie's "Muddy Waters" impression at the beginning and the Beastie Boys. I mean it just left me wondering whether white repressed rappers from Brooklyn really do have their roots in the deep south. I was like "huuhhhhhh?" I really wasn't prepared to reflect that deeply.

But I guess he's doing a seminar tour or something? Is it mostly inner city, or can people who live in the suburbs attend too?

I actually had lunch with Ernie and a few of the other guys in the vid about a month ago - just about the time when that vid was about to be made. We had lunch right here in NYC's Little Italy.

He said that he was visiting a bunch of cities one-after-the-other....including the thing in London with Kevin Bell, David Peterson, and some other WSL people...

and he emailed me a link to the vid that appears on this thread several weeks ago, as well as some discussion about the WSL lineage London seminar after it occurred.

Hell, I played lead guitar (including lots of blues) waaaaaay long ago - for about 10 years; and in fact, gave up playing in bands when I took up wing chun in 1975.

Ernie's cool.

????

I don't see why what Ernie said in the interview has to relate to the video attached to it, I believe Kenton may be responsible for that since it was his interview, I guess he decided to add a vid link to add a visual to it. One is seperate from the other. In the interview he's relating his feelings in regards to the questions asked, in essence he's not into the polictics and bs that is prevelant in Martial Arts today, and as can been seen on a typical forum like this. The video is just a visual recollection of a visit with friends and practitioners. As someone that is part of his training group I look at Ernie first and foremost as a good friend. Whenever I go down to train with him and his crew, having a good time with one another was just as important if not more than the training we do while there. It's all about the relationship, which in the end on our death beds will be the thing we remember and value, more so than any technique, drill or concept learned from Wing Chun, lol...

Those familiar with Ernie and his history are well aware of his sharing of vids over the years, I personally have over a hundred of them, small clips that he has shared publicly and some more private. Since change is the one constant in the universe it makes sense that he may have choosen not to share so much as of late, that is his perogative to do so. If one is really curious about the man go visit him, I guarantee within 5 minutes you will learn more about him and his methods than any video or article/interview could ever convey. Nothing beats personal one on one interaction, which is something the internet and present day technology is degenerating on a daily basis.

James