Thread: Southern Chinese Kung Fu + Ed Parker = American Kenpo

Southern Chinese Kung Fu + Ed Parker = American Kenpo

I apologize if this has already been discussed..........

Blog Entries
    Ed Parker = American keMpo. not keNpo. (But i could have that backward)

I know there is shaolin Kenpo....and Ed Parkers American Ken/m/po

A good part of Kempo comes from the Lau Bun lineage. It's well known that ed parker tried to get next to Professor Lau Bun
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 06-16-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

It is said that Professor William Chow's father, Priest Hoon Chow, was an immigrant Buddhist Priest from Shanghai. Professor Chow practiced the teachings of his father. Then he studied with James Mitose.
    Professor Chow unified all his knowledge into one uniform system called Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate. Three of his top students were: Edmond Parker (founder of American Kenpo), Adriano Emparado(founder of kajukenpo) and Sam Kuoha (Professor Chow's succesor and grandmaster of Kara-Ho).

More info can be found here.
    http://www.karaho.com

I have studied and taught various styles of Kung Fu, and I am currently studing American Kenpo under Mr. Dave Medina
    http://www.medinakenpo.com

-Sifu Tom Lugo
    Last edited by pateticorecords; 06-17-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    William Chow studied under his father, who supposedly learned a Southern style.
    He later aligned himself with Mitose.
    James Wing Woo was brought in by Parker to add more Kung-Fu to the system.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

My Kempo buddie says the "n" and the "m" was just a typo that got carried through...

Parker's stuff came from Hawaii, by way of Okinawa is my understanding. Daniel Pai fits in there as a contemporary too, these where Hawaiian hard men who were very creative.

To my mind, it fits right between shouthern short armed TCMA and Japanese Karate.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I believe the kanji for fist is "ken"
    However, Okinawans say Kempo, and there is Shorinji Kempo.
    Chow, Ralph Castro, and Parker use the term Kenpo.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I believe the kanji for fist is "ken"
    However, Okinawans say Kempo, and there is Shorinji Kempo.
    Chow, Ralph Castro, and Parker use the term Kenpo.
    It's a dialectic thing. kenpo and kempo are the same thing.

as stated.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Forgive me if this is common knowledge....but shorin is the japanese version of Shaolin.....Ralph Castro taught Shaolin Kenpo.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

I believe he was the first to coin the phrase, "Shaolin Kenpo" followed by Villari, USSD, et al
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    My Kempo buddie says the "n" and the "m" was just a typo that got carried through...
    Not really a typo. Both forms are accepted as orthographic convention. Kenpo preserves the pronunciation of the first word. Kempo shows the correct pronunciation in combination when followed by a b or p. Parker intentionally spelled it kenpo in order to distinguish his style from Japanese kempo systems. He may have supposed it looked more Chinese that way. I don't think kyuhn faat is a common expression in Cantonese, but it's understandable.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Not really a typo. Both forms are accepted as orthographic convention. Kenpo preserves the pronunciation of the first word. Kempo shows the correct pronunciation in combination when followed by a b or p. Parker intentionally spelled it kenpo in order to distinguish his style from Japanese kempo systems. He may have supposed it looked more Chinese that way. I don't think kyuhn faat is a common expression in Cantonese, but it's understandable.
    Or Chuan fa as well.

Fist method, or Fist law.

man, language is a funny thing and it's easy to understand why the esoteric can be a deep and frothy sea of chaos.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Parker's stuff came from Hawaii, by way of Okinawa is my understanding. Daniel Pai fits in there as a contemporary too, these where Hawaiian hard men who were very creative.

yes pai taught in hawaii and a lot over the U.s. A lot of his teachings in Pai lum were from kempo, but a lot of his stuff was taken from other styles.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Mitose called his art "kenpo jujitsu", one of his main students was William Chow who called his art many things, but always with the kenpo label.

One of Chow's main students was Adriano Emperado, who helped co-found Kajukenbo (karate, judo, kenpo, boxing).

One of his other students was Ed Parker. After Parker came to the mainland he taught what he had learned from Chow and called it kenpo karate (name recognition). After Parker moved to California he started studying more of the chinese arts. Some of them were James Wing Woo (not the same Woo from San Soo), Art K. Wong (who was the biggest chinese influence) and Lau Bun. Bruce Lee also stayed with Ed Parker for a time and exchanged ideas as well.After his study with these masters, Parker started to change how he performed his kenpo. He moved from a more hard linear style that he had originally learned and added more fluidity and circular motions. Again, the biggest influence though was Ark Wong and even more specifically, the "splashing hands" methodology that Parker learned from one of Wong's students "Tiny" Lefiti.

Parker's goal was to kind of create a chinese martial art for Americans. At one time Parker called his art "Chinese Kenpo", and kept refining it throughout his life. All of the terms used in asian martial arts where replaced with American terminology.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."