Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin fighter Yi Long

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i give yi long respect for being brave enuf to fight buwakaw and i respect buakaw for showing mercy and giving face.
    Was that even a real fight?

Looked fake to me.

it wasnt supposed to be real but became real after yi long accidentally back elbowed buwakaw

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

The face game...

I see the problem right there...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Some follow up on Yi Long vs. Buakaw

Plus an update on Shaolin and Muay Thai....brom our very own Sascha Matuszak no less.

The Kung Fu-Muay Thai Is Alliance Blooming
    Fightland Blog

By Sascha Matuszak

Photo by Herve BRUHAT/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images

This year marks the 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations between China and Thailand. Chinese politicians have flown down to Bangkok to meet with high level Thai officials, including Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, to exchange gifts and promises and Thai officials have done the same. There’s talk of railways and tourism and culture.

And by culture they mean fighting.

There have been several martial arts competitions over the last year involving Thai and Chinese competitors, most notably a June 6th bout between Liu Yi Long and Buakaw Banchamek. Poor Yi Long. Every time a foreign martial arts delegation comes to China, the Wulinfeng fight promotion brings him out to do battle and represent the nation. He did pretty well against Buakaw in the first few minutes, but after taking knees and teeps to the belly for two rounds, Yi Long just clinched and waited for the fight to end. Buakaw took the decision in sloppy affair.

This coming Saturday, Zhengzhou in Henan Province (home to Shaolin) will host another Muay Thai competition. This one will have the abbot of the Shaolin Temple, Shi Yongxin, in attendance, along with the head of the World Muay Thai Council (WMTC), General Chetta Thanajaro. The temple had reached out to the WMTC, along with Henan Provincial Television and the Wulinfeng promotion, to get advice on how to set up a weekly Muay Thai event for television. The Chinese want to copy the Thai Fights on ThaiTV3 model and use the cooperation to improve Chinese fighters and infuse a bit of Thai martial prowess into the Chinese scene.

The event is an important one, because this is the first time the Shaolin Temple has come out and publicly supported Muay Thai. There are boxing and wrestling coaches in schools near the temple, as well as a bit of BJJ. But there are rarely jointly sponsored martial arts events that feature a different style—in this case Muay Thai and not Shaolin kungfu.

“Shi Yongxin seems like he’s very much the businessman,” said Alex Etkin, who is a liaison between the WMTC and the Chinese side represented by the temple, Henan Provincial Television, and Wulinfeng. “He’s very interested in promoting Shaolin abroad and establishing relationships with other martial arts. He’s interested in MMA, he’s interested in BJJ. It’s only natural that he wants to work with Muay Thai.

Abbot Shi Yongxin with General Thanajaro on his right and Henan TV executive on his left.

The WMTC and the Chinese National Wushu Association signed a memorandum of understanding back in 2011. Since then, hundreds of fighters from both nations have crossed the border to train and fight competitively in regional and nationally televised events. Muay Thai has spread all over the world, a phenomenon that began in the late 1970s and 80s, similar to many other Asian martial arts, but unlike kung fu for example, Muay Thai has managed to keep growing in popularity.

The Shaolin monks naturally want to figure out why. Watching the martial art on display is the only way they’ll do that.

The event has been in the works for some time now, beginning when General Thanajaro visited the Shaolin Temple last year. There is a lot the Chinese want to learn from the Thai and vice versa. The General is not only the head of the WMTC, but he was also once a Defense Minister and he led the 2002 Muay Thai Olympic delegation to Sydney. They were unsuccessful in getting Muay Thai into the Olympics, and they share that failure with the Chinese, who have been unable to get wushu or any derivative thereof into the Olympics either.

A key person in attendance is legendary promoter Songchai Ratanasuban, He has been an integral part of Muay Thai’s international expansion for decades now, and he also puts on great events. The General and the Promoter are not the types of gents to organize a night of Muay Thai for show only. The Chinese fight game has a reputation for being particularly shady and nothing reduces shade as much as a night of good, fair fights.

That’s the plan for Saturday, when a group of Chinese Muay Thai fighters face off with the Thai contingent. Big names will be watching. Success could mean a regular Muay Thai show televised across China and a deeper, stronger relationship between the Shaolin Temple and the World Muay Thai Council: A Kung Fu-Muay Thai alliance ... it’s about time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

vs. Shea Ealey

WATCH: Shaolin Monk Fights An Ex U.S Marine Turned Mixed Martial Artist

How often do you get to see a real live Shaolin monk in action? Not very often I wouldn’t have thought. Maybe this is why Yi Long attracts so much attention.

Early this week this reporter published an article with footage of a real life ninja (ninjutsu practitioner) challenging UFC fighter Dominick Cruz in his own gym (you can see that here). Whilst the post was controversial it seemed to wet the appetite for seeing how the traditional asian martial arts fair when employed in combat sports.

In today’s match up we see Yi Long, a Shaolin warrior monk, fighting Shea Ealey a ex U.S. Marine turned mixed martial artist in the Wu Lin Feng competition (which doesn’t allow offensive take downs and fighters can only apply wrestling in clinch or to counter a strike).

Yi Long pretty much manhandles Ealey for the entire fight and the end comes swiftly in the first round. After the ref separates the two fighters they wind up in the middle of the ring and Yi Long lands a short left hook and that is all she wrote. Ealey winds up on his back and through the ropes.

We should point out that there is currently some debate as to whether Yi Long is true Shaolin monk. Some say the whole thing is staged and Yi Long is just playing a character. Whether he really is a Shaolin monk or not it doesn’t matter. He is an amazing fighter and puts on a great show. A man is who he says he is. Yi Long continues to bring his Shaolin style into the ring, destroy opponents and give the fans what they want to see: spectacular knockouts.
    You must follow the link if you want to see the vid. It's embedded in the article.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

We should point out that there is currently some debate as to whether Yi Long is true Shaolin monk. ... Whether he really is a Shaolin monk or not it doesn’t matter. ... A man is who he says he is.
    Really? :roll eyes: I'm a nobel prize winning physicist.

He self-identifies as a Shaolin Monk, therefore we must respect his identity preference.

You may refer to me as, "Your Highness".

-be hillybilly school dropout
    -be failed sanda fighter
    -take olympics grade steroids while fighting skinny fat tomato cans
    -???
    -bring glory to shaolin

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    -be hillybilly school dropout
    -be failed sanda fighter
    -take olympics grade steroids while fighting skinny fat tomato cans
    -???
    -bring glory to shaolin
    Seems like he has had more success than the average sanda fighter and he's fought plenty of legit fighters....all more glorious to Shaolin than cynical historian that does not fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Seems like he has had more success than the average sanda fighter and he's fought plenty of legit fighters....all more glorious to Shaolin than cynical historian that does not fight.

this give face and satifsies general chinese public. but you and me know nothing has changed.

also no he fight exhibition or tomato can only
    Last edited by bawang; 10-24-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Is he Isn't He??

I find his fights entertaining BUT that being said he is far too ****y in the ring and the ****y element alone makes me question whether he is a "Shaolin Monk"?

Buakaw, Yi Long rematch. Robbery...

Odd tatic Yi Long has, leading with right hook....
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

Some crooked **** right there...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Some crooked **** right there...
    Yeah, that's unfortunate. If China is ever going to be taken seriously in the fight game they have to get rid of the fixed fights, favoritism and crooked decisions.

Yi looked terribly sloppy and Buakaw dominated the whole fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Yi looked terribly sloppy and Buakaw dominated the whole fight.
    Sloppy weak @ss kicks and punches. Failed takedowns all over the place.

What a joke.