Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Republican Joe Barton Defends BP Oil

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but I think you only get pain and suffering when one party causes damages by breaking the law. And BP was operating 100% within the law.

Even if those damages are allowed, I'm against allowing an accident to bankrupt a law-abiding company.
    Actually, whether or not it was in the legal right is in question. No environmental impact form is one thing... ignoring vital procedures legally required to operate the rig to save time is something completely different.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    um, how does that article make a point for you? It's just say what I've been saying.
    It shows they were 100% in compliance with the laws/regulations.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    ... ignoring vital procedures legally required to operate the rig to save time is something completely different.
    And BP Oil did not do that.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

OP 1bad65
    Even if those damages are allowed, I'm against allowing an accident to bankrupt a law-abiding company.
    But you're for, letting someone go bankrupt for getting sick? Nevermind.

OP 1bad65
    It shows they were 100% in compliance with the laws/regulations.
    BP says MMS never enforced blowout preventer law

BP acknowledged in a recent letter that it has routinely failed to comply with a federal regulation requiring drilling companies to certify that their blowout preventers are able to block a runaway well.
    Oh and Mr Patton who signed the waiver did go before congress.

Frank Patton, the MMS official who approved the BP application to drill at Macondo, already testified that he wasn't familiar with the law he was supposed to enforce.
    In other WTF news...

BP Tells Fishermen Working On The Oil Spill That They Will Be Fired For Wearing A Respirator

A 90-year-old maritime law gets BP off the hook for workers killed on the Deepwater rig.

BP Hires “Talon Security” to Block Press from Beaches, Intimidate Workers
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

But you're for, letting someone go bankrupt for getting sick? Nevermind.
    It's called personal responsibility. Also, stay on topic please.

You take care of your business, I take care of mine. I don't ask others to pay my bills, so why should others expect me to pay their bills?

Oh and Mr Patton who signed the waiver did go before congress.
    Can you please give us a link? Not doubting you, I just couldn't find that info on my own.

It's called personal responsibility. Also, stay on topic please.

You take care of your business, I take care of mine. I don't ask others to pay my bills, so why should others expect me to pay their bills?
    But you'd let BP skip out on their bills to avoid bankruptcy?
    Who’s going to pick up the tap then? The tax payers or the people they screwed over?

Can you please give us a link? Not doubting you, I just couldn't find that info on my own.
    It was this link above.

BP says MMS never enforced blowout preventer law
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

But you'd let BP skip out on their bills to avoid bankruptcy?
    Who’s going to pick up the tap then? The tax payers or the people they screwed over?
    There you go putting words in my mouth, AGAIN.

I said that BP Oil should be responsible for the bills that come from cleanup, and I even went so far as to say there should be no cap on that. I said I don't feel they should have to pay PUNITIVE DAMAGES that could put them out of business. Nowhere did I say they should be allowed to "skip out on their bills".

Thank you.

I noticed this from your link:

"Frank Patton, the MMS official who approved the BP application to drill at Macondo, already testified that he wasn't familiar with the law he was supposed to enforce."

That's Gov't in action right there.

There you go putting words in my mouth, AGAIN.
    It was in the form of a question not a statement.
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

It was in the form of a question not a statement.
    If you had read and comprehended my statements, you wouldn't have had to ask the questions.

I truly feel I'm being consistant on this issue, but some people appear to be implying that I am not.

San, now that you know my stance on damages, do you agree with me on that issue?

that demon photoshop

Reminds me of our Reuters admits to cropping Israeli naval clash pics thread (currently locked as you people can't have a civil discussion down here )
    Altered BP photo comes into question
    By Steven Mufson
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Apparently BP is no more adept at doctoring photos than it is at plugging deep-sea oil leaks.

A blogger has noticed that the oil giant altered a photograph of its Houston crisis room, cutting and pasting three underwater images into a wall of video feeds from remotely operated undersea vehicles. The altered photo is displayed prominently on the company's Web site.

An enlarged version of the photograph reveals flaws in the editing job. One of the 10 images sticks down into the head of one of the people sitting in front of the wall, while another piece of the image is separated from the other side of the head by jagged white space. The right side of the same image also hangs down below the area on which the video feeds were projected.

John Aravosis pointed out the alterations Monday evening on his Americablog.com and observed, "I guess if you're doing fake crisis response, you might as well fake a photo of the crisis response center." The photo doctoring comes as BP has promised transparency in a bid to regain the public's trust.

Scott Dean, a spokesman for BP, said that there was nothing sinister in the photo alteration and provided the original unaltered version. He said that a photographer working for the company had inserted the three images in spots where the video screens were blank.

"Normally we only use Photoshop for the typical purposes of color correction and cropping," Dean said in an e-mail. "In this case they copied and pasted three ROV screen images in the original photo over three screens that were not running video feeds at the time."

Dean said BP usually has a couple remotely operated vehicles on the surface at any given time for maintenance.

"We will replace the Photoshopped version currently on bp.com with the original image tonight," he added. "We've instructed our post-production team to refrain from doing this in the future."
    Man, we should alter more pix. I need a pic of me doing a wushu aerial.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Man, we should alter more pix. I need a pic of me doing a wushu aerial.
    I'm really hoping lkfmdc doesn't provide this pic. Praying, really.

What BP Photshop was hiding...

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.