View Poll Results: What is important to your Wing Chun training routine?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Form training - hand sets incl. SLT/CK/BJ

5 27.78%
  • Equipment training - wallbags/sticks/rings/wooden man

5 27.78%
  • Interactive training - chisau/looksau/gorsau/sparring

10 55.56%
  • Weaponry training - pole & knives

3 16.67%
  • Literature training - curriculums & kuit in chinese

2 11.11%
  • All are equally important

8 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is important to your Wing Chun training routine?

What is important to your Wing Chun training routine?

Have a little think about the way you practise your Wing Chun, and see if you can place certain training drills or exercises into the categories I have introduced here. Basically, I believe that Wing Chun contains a set amount of practises that are key to training and this helped to form the curriculum we use at The Yum Yeurng Academy.

Have a look and share with us what you think is the most important area of training to you and if you practice all, some or none of the categories listed.

Enjoy
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I tend to believe that all are equally important, but I would add conditioning to the list. I know that it isn't strictly Wing Chun, but IMO a strong, flexible body is very important in order to learn and perform the techniques. I used to attend a 2h class - during my first two months, around 1h and 15-30 minutes were devoted to conditioning (including qi gong).

I agree that conditioning is just as important as all the areas of the poll, but it's not a big part of my class. I devote time for that on my own by hiking, biking, and doing some yoga. I'd rather not spend time in class doing conditioning since in a two-hour class, time goes by too quickly and I'd rather work on partner training and forms.

Thinking should be one of the categories

Thinking would equate to meditation. Close your eyes and imagine the many ways you can use your gung fu. I have always done this when I could, and fighting the wooden man. Being phisically fit is always a benefit to any practitioner, so a regular exercise regimen, thinking about it, and whipping on woody will do me just fine.

Line awareness during drilling. Using the centerline to attack another line of force relative to mine, iow is it crossing my line from right to left ? moving at me right to left, away from me sideways left to right, etc... . This opens up a freedom to attack another person in split second timing using facing as a simple way to be able to reach a person with either hand attacking constantly, tactically. Once the striking techniques of the inside [jum] and outside[tan ] elbows are learned [dan chi] the rest is constantly growing with the idea 'till death....the pursuit of perfection is only hampered by the 'human factor'

Once you become aware of your punches being the 'line' you try to keep the 'leading' edge of the forearms on one side of the guys arm or the other from angles either they create by their movement, uncontrolled to us, across our line, or by our manipulation of the line by cycling and re creating the 'line' to spatially attack what the preceding line of force opened up....genius. You have to have spatial awareness introduced to you through the system. the reason for VT being seen as suitable for women, or those with less ability to deal with force. Simple, your trained to strike where force just 'passed by' and hit the gap force created 'in space' before you.....the harder they come the bigger the gap

All the drilling with contact is to give stability of contact with force as you deflect it. NOT to learn to stick to it, but to let it flow past you and cycle into the space it makes ....punching.

If the space is occupied we have the jut,pak, bong etc..to make another punch, by clearing the line before us.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 06-21-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    I tend to believe that all are equally important, but I would add conditioning to the list. I know that it isn't strictly Wing Chun, but IMO a strong, flexible body is very important in order to learn and perform the techniques. I used to attend a 2h class - during my first two months, around 1h and 15-30 minutes were devoted to conditioning (including qi gong).
    FWIW Within what I practise, the equipment is used for drilling/conditioning but I guess you mean cardio-type training or warm up routines?

And the Qigong (Hei Gung) of course! Which can be included within the Form section to be honest.
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 06-22-2010 at 08:35 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    Thinking should be one of the categories
    Hmmm...

"Don't think!

FEEL"

It's interesting to see how this poll is going...

C'mon guys, have a vote and share what you think
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 06-22-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

It seems that that "all are equally important" is close to the interactive exercises. Perhaps there's a way to do a poll where you can put them in the order of importance? Because IMO all are not just as important, but rather have varying degrees of importance. Some of those things you have listed could be omitted and there'd be no detriment in skills training.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 06-22-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    OOPS found it!
    That didn't take you too long...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    That didn't take you too long...
    I rewrote that to a normal response because my first was asking where the sparring was, I was skimming and didn't see it at first....
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

It seems that that "all are equally important" is close to the interactive exercises. Perhaps there's a way to do a poll where you can put them in the order of importance? Because IMO all are not just as important, but rather have varying degrees of importance. Some of those things you have listed could be omitted and there'd be no detriment in skills training.
    Really?

Share with us what you mean here as I'm interested. One reason to present this info in the way it has been was to see what you guys think! Give me YOUR order of preference if you feel it's worth a discussion...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I think all are important to your overall progression, but some take precedence over others depending on what stage your in.

In the beginging, forms and litature whould be streesed more than would be later.
    After forms have been learned better to focus on interaction and apply what is in forms. Conditioning should be emphasized through out.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Really?

Share with us what you mean here as I'm interested. One reason to present this info in the way it has been was to see what you guys think! Give me YOUR order of preference if you feel it's worth a discussion...
    Lets put it this way...if fighting was the goal my order of importance would be:

Interactive training - chisau/looksau/gorsau/sparring
    Equipment training - wallbags/sticks/rings/wooden man
    Form training - hand sets incl. SLT/CK/BJD & Weaponry training - pole & knives
    Literature training - curriculums & kuit in chinese

The reason for this is because conditioning and sparring are what produce good fighting skill. At the point where you have all this stuff, the forms and curriculum should come secondary.

If the reason for training was cultural it would be the exact opposite.

If the reason for training was cultural it would be the exact opposite.
    An interesting viewpoint and I agree with your 'order' for producing fighters, but with all respect I wouldn't bother to coach weaponry or literature to a fighter unless they intended to coach in their later years.

Again, culturally, if you can see that everything I mention here is within the Wing Chun Style you may also understand that there really isn't much else in ANY OTHER Martial Art. This is it. This is what I mean by Wing Chun being a complete style/system or whatever you want to call it!

Look at the list again, and see how it all also interweaves with itself. As an example, if you wanted to complete a form, naturally you would expect to take such form into other areas of practice. SLT interaction, SLT Equipment training, SLT Weaponry and SLT Literature...

Am I making any sense at all??
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術