Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Skills from other systems that complement wing chun

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    My first instructor, David Crook, has taught a mix of WC, CLF, and Northern Sil Lum since 1969.

His view, which he can and has backed up on a number of occasions physically, is that while WC and CLF are traditional enemies, they are in fact highly complementary.
    Not to sound 'anti-CLF' but it is my understanding that Wing Chun pretty much compliments ANY form of, so-called, traditional chinese martial arts. This includes CLF, SPM and HK to name a few. Whether it can be the 'other way round' I think depends on what you know about, or how much you're into Wing Chun itself imho.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Whether it can be the 'other way round' I think depends on what you know about, or how much you're into Wing Chun itself imho.
    David's only been practising WC since the mid 1960's, so of course he couldn't possibly have your depth of knowledge ...
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

David's only been practising WC since the mid 1960's, so of course he couldn't possibly have your depth of knowledge ...
    While your point is taken there, I also have been playing basketball longer than LeBron James.

While your point is also taken, I still believe my instructor is way better qualified to make judgements about WC and CLF than anyone on this forum.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

What's wrong with you guys? I would hope he has 30 times more knowledge than me to be fair, so why not stop the girlie snipes?!

What I meant was, well, I tell you what, forget it... this says it all about you too...

I still believe my instructor is way better qualified to make judgements about WC and CLF than anyone on this forum
    Sifu is always right! Hope his 'qualification' is in a nice frame on his wall Is this the same guy? White Tiger?
    http://www.bacfudo.net/
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 07-06-2010 at 04:52 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Anyone ever studied shuaijiao?

I always felt for those who did, it gave insight into extracting the grappling techniques from the forms of whatever kung fu style he/she may be into. A lot of my wing chun friends seem to treat their style primarily as a striking system. I never bought into that.

Blog Entries
    I found grappling arts such as judo, BJJ, greco and free style wrestling had alot in common with wing chun, especially the regarding controlling of the opponent's center of gravity and certain core mechanics.

Personally I like Tai Chi and Chi'na
    Finally Got my Sifu to share our Ngo Dac Na systematized training online.

You can visit us on Youtube

You can also find us at EnterShaolin.com

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    I found grappling arts such as judo, BJJ, greco and free style wrestling had alot in common with wing chun, especially the regarding controlling of the opponent's center of gravity and certain core mechanics.
    Likewise in regards to wrestling and BJJ that I have done.

Also at times some of the combinations I learned in Boxing and Karate do come out with a WC twist to them ie vertical fist etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by air View Post
    Personally I like Tai Chi and Chi'na
    I also feel these styles complement wing chun well

I heard that in Hong Kong a lot of the WC people do tai chi.....

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Don't just be a student of WCK, be a student of martial arts.

Learn striking, kicking, throwing, joint locks, chokes, ground fighting. And also learn projectile, impact and bladed weapons. Explosives are fun, as are modern methods of warfare. Learn the way of strategy.

WCK is a small sliver of martial arts sum total.
    Great advice Chu shifu.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Escrima for weapons
    some Thai and savate kicks
    Bjj

Nam Tang Lang uses more variety for Chi Sau than WCK.

Why doesn't WCK try to evolve the chi sau to encompass more range or motions?

Surely this will be beneficial?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    Escrima for weapons
    some Thai and savate kicks
    Bjj
    Agree with eskrima, I do Balintawak Eskrima and it really blends very well with Wing Chun.

This is my first post. Hope to learn more about Wing Chun from the experts here .