Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skills from other systems that complement wing chun

Blog Entries

Skills from other systems that complement wing chun

Which skills from others systems have you guys found useful to complement your wing chun skills?

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    the atomic nut crusher... works every time or your money back.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Which skills from others systems have you guys found useful to complement your wing chun skills?
    anything that lets me throw an attack at the guy....I try to keep an open mind to MA in general and absorb all I can. Im not a 'VT or die fighter' by any stretch of the imagination

Don't just be a student of WCK, be a student of martial arts.

Learn striking, kicking, throwing, joint locks, chokes, ground fighting. And also learn projectile, impact and bladed weapons. Explosives are fun, as are modern methods of warfare. Learn the way of strategy.

WCK is a small sliver of martial arts sum total.

projectiles...! hah I took up shooting small arms and ended up as an firearms instructor for a short while . VT carries over to practical pistol (9mm 35/357.) competitions ..the grip ...stance steps. facing ...ambidextrous hand use....
    many arts translate to shooting...aikido gives 360 firig from a crouch. tai chi relaxed stances , sanchin breathing for stress control...to name a few.

I have black belts in Jiujitsu, but it will not compliment my wing chun. My wing chun can however compliment my jiujitsu as it does offer good entry techniques.
    The Lee Chiang Hung Fa Wing Chun system has plenty of holds, throws, and entry technique of it's own. That's right. I am claiming my very own family lineage that I. fully expect to enherit.

Hello,

I have found the footwork from Silat and Kuntao to be beneficial to my training and approach to WC. There are patterns used in training which can enhance ones mobility. I also find the weapons training to be excellent for hand eye coordination as well.

Also, the concepts and techniques of changing ones level from high to low and in between is of benefit. IMHO
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Don't just be a student of WCK, be a student of martial arts.

Learn striking, kicking, throwing, joint locks, chokes, ground fighting. And also learn projectile, impact and bladed weapons. Explosives are fun, as are modern methods of warfare. Learn the way of strategy.

WCK is a small sliver of martial arts sum total.
    I agree Robert, perhaps you can share some of your discoveries of specialized skills in some of the different martial arts that you have studied over the years. As well as how they have influenced your personnal style.

For me, my study in chen style tai chi really helped improved my understanding of alignment and body structure/usage in wing chun. Also I found that the grappling skills of Chen tai chi was a natural extension of my wing chun skills.

My training in muai thai, kyokushin, American kickboxing, and san shou helped with developing my timing and distance awareness as well as conditioning my body to take punishment. which is very useful in the sport arena.

BJJ training helped me to become more familar with the laws/physics of the ground invironment when applying wing chun there.

I really like the takedowns of Penjack silat, but unfortunately I have never studied it formally.

When I study a perticular martial art, I focus on the specialize skill that the style is known for, then I train to become good at the skill. I dont pay too much attention to styles necessarily but more to the core skill training.

It would be interesting to hear about some of the core skills training that you guys have been exposed to during your martial arts career in some of the different styles of martial arts, and how how you guys look at integrating these skills in your wing chun or fighting.
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 06-25-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Dunno about other martial arts, as I've only ever been formerly trained in karate as a child prior to starting Wing Chun. As a foundation, karate was excellent. For me though it's more about how Wing Chun helps to compliment other martial arts as I find most of what I need right here, in my Wing Chun curriculum, and I've yet to find anything else that challenges my capabilities and interests as much as that.

OUTSIDE of martial arts though, a whole range of sports I played as a child must have had an effect on my physical capabilities. From athletics to football and boxing to trampolining, all have helped shaped me into the person I am today. I especially like the team mentality and strategy of football, and as an Englishman if there was one example of something that directly complimented my training it was the team spirit I drew from the field. Especially the 5-a-side game.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

How do you guys find the time and money to train in all these martial arts?

Blog Entries
    The prey mantis

- 鉤手(Gou Shou) can be integrated into the WC 摊手(Tan Shou) .
    - 刁手(Diao Shou) can be integrated into the WC 扶手(Fu Shou).

It can add more hooking into WC's sticky, and that will be a plus IMO.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-26-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK View Post
    How do you guys find the time and money to train in all these martial arts?
    You can get books off ebay for pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The prey mantis

- 鉤手(Gou Shou) can be integrated into the WC 摊手(Tan Shou) .
    - 刁手(Diao Shou) can be integrated into the WC 扶手(Fu Shou).

It can add more hooking into WC's sticky, and that will be a plus IMO.
    How would hooking be a plus? I find it real hard to defend center and throw hooks at the same time. Coming out and around takes me too long.
    Wing Chun already has the most efficient punch, so why would you want to incorperate probably the least efficient?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    How would hooking be a plus?
    You don't need hooking for defense. When you try to reverse your defense into offense (ready to enter), it will be helpful.

A hooking is like a Judo "sleeve hold", it can connect you and your opponent's body together. When you use your hooking to pull, you will either pull your opponent into you, or your will pull yourself into your opponent. Either way the distance between you and your opponent will be reduced. It will also give you the initial momentum for your "fast entering".

For people who may like to integrate the throwing skill into WC, that hooking will be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Wing Chun already has the most efficient punch, so why would you want to incorperate probably the least efficient?
    鉤手(Gou Shou) and 刁手(Diao Shou) are not punches. IMO, if we care about "cross training", we should keep our mind open.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-26-2010 at 07:23 PM.

I've found the opposite to be more true. For example...I've found through pressure testing that although wing chun can be effective as a system, much of what is practiced in wing chun doesn't work against skilled people. Or in other words, much of what is practiced doesn't isn't going to present itself that way in a fight. Take that versus something like Muay Thai, or wrestling, or BJJ, or Sambo, or Kyokushin, Sanshou, or even Krav Maga.....where ALL of what is practiced in the system is effective as trained.

So do you take a system where only 30% of what is taught is proven effective in a fight and compliment it with something where 100% of its teachings are effective? Or vice versa? Logically, the latter would be the better choice.

But to answer your question more succinctly and staying in the mindset suggested above, I've found that wing chun has complimented my Muay Thai game nicely. Muay Thai works all standup ranges, from kicks, to punches, knees, and elbows, clinching, and throwing. Wing Chun as well uses kicks, punches, and elbows, with a smidget of knee techniques. So I've found that the [wing chun] ability to sense and manipulate the structure and enter quickly can help to dissolve standard punches to open a line for attack, and aid in putting me dominant positions for clinch work--or even stop clinchwork. It has seemingly allowed me to take advantage of opportunities missed by my sparring partners that have not trained in wing chun.

So wing chun has complimented my overall game, not vice versa.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 06-26-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."