Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Icmac

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We have two Yanfeis in the S.F. Bay Area. There's Chen Fei, who usually goes by Chen Fei now. And there's my coach, Yan Fei, which is his given name coincidentally. He officially disrobed.

What's the given name of your new coach?
    Sorry Gene, that was a typo, I meant Yong Fei, his given name is Zhang Xue Fei. I must have had Yan's on my brain that day.

Well I guess its official, Sanda has been cancelled at this event. http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/dallas/schedule.html
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Pretty much all Boxing Commissions have a general rule against "elimination" type events.

That was one of the main reasons why UFC had a hard time in the beginning as well.

don't see why they canceled the event in Texas. They could of just carded the fights relying on fighters records (if anyone keeps them). Also They could of still made their money just by the spectators fees. This $100 to compete is crazy. On any given weekend you can find a boxing/kickboxing event to compete in and its FREE.

I read they are going schduling an event in Atlanta in 2011?, anyhow the boxing commission rules are the same as Texas so I guess they won't have it here as well.

shame..

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    Pretty much all Boxing Commissions have a general rule against "elimination" type events.

That was one of the main reasons why UFC had a hard time in the beginning as well.

don't see why they canceled the event in Texas. They could of just carded the fights relying on fighters records (if anyone keeps them). Also They could of still made their money just by the spectators fees. This $100 to compete is crazy. On any given weekend you can find a boxing/kickboxing event to compete in and its FREE.

I read they are going schduling an event in Atlanta in 2011?, anyhow the boxing commission rules are the same as Texas so I guess they won't have it here as well.

shame..
    As I understand it, TX Boxing Commission wanted a $30K fee for the event if its carded. That get the blessing for the event, medical staff, and TX Boxing Commission will furnish the referee and judges. I think that ICMAC did not want to pay the $30K fee to put on the event.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Xcakid,
    If you don't mind, I'll read between your lines for a bit. To me, this means that the tournament officials had no one on staff qualified to be a Sanda judge or referee. Furthermore, the organizers didn't feel like shelling out money for medical staff. Honestly, people that traditionally have run tournaments including only taolu and point sparring should not even bother offering Sanda....or, gasp they should hire qualified people who know what they are doing, and who to connect with.

Hey, I'm only speculating
    Last edited by pazman; 03-10-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: bad grammar

NJ has perhaps the best commission in the US regarding combat sports and has regulations for fighters' safety but is you devise a formula to limit the rounds you can still do a tournament. I know this from fist hand experience

As for fees, in NJ it certainly would not be that much, but perhaps everything is "bigger in Texas"?

But, basicly, in CMA you alwyas have had forms guys trying to run the sanshou and always mucking it up
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    a quick read, but doesn't look like $30,000 in fees to me!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

And also:
    http://www.license.state.tx.us/sports/sportsfaq.htm

Doesn't seem to add up to $30,000 here either.

Some of the registration fees seemed a little bit higher than other states' I've seen, but all the regulations didn't seem out of the ordinary.

It's a shame that a "5 Star Rating" CMA tournament can't come up with the skills to put on a Sanda gig.

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Xcakid,
    If you don't mind, I'll read between your lines for a bit. To me, this means that the tournament officials had no one on staff qualified to be a Sanda judge or referee. Furthermore, the organizers didn't feel like shelling out money for medical staff. Honestly, people that traditionally have run tournaments including only taolu and point sparring should not even bother offering Sanda....or, gasp they should hire qualified people who know what they are doing, and who to connect with.

Hey, I'm only speculating

No they have staff(referee and judges) that are well qualified to judge Sanda, Master Mike Barry for one has been judging Sanda tournaments all over the country for years will be in attendance. Having attended, although not competing, previous ICMAC events, I know that a paramedic will be there for the entire duration of the tournament. The thing is the TX Boxing commission wants full control of the event and their fee.
    Last edited by xcakid; 03-11-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Again, this is what I was told via email correspondence. I am not privvy to ICMAC conversations with the TX boxing commission.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled "discussion"

Bummer about the sanshou cancellation

I'm curious - how is Muay Thai doing in TX? It's going really well here in CA. I was just at a MT fight last weekend and there's plenty more all the time that I don't attend.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm curious - how is Muay Thai doing in TX? It's going really well here in CA. I was just at a MT fight last weekend and there's plenty more all the time that I don't attend.
    Muay Thai in Texas is just coming out of a "dark ages" period.
    In the 90s and early 2000s there were a lot more cards and fighters.
    For the past few years there's been almost nothing.
    Saekson's finally getting stuff started up on a regular basis in Dallas.
    There are some other guys in Houston that are finally getting some shows started there as well.

The past few years there's been a guy named Kayan that's supposedly the rep for a stadium in Thailand and a major promotion. Any time my coach has tried to get fighters on a local mma promoter's card to do muay thai fights in san antonio, Kayan's been throwing a sh!tfit and has had enough pull to get the fights canceled.
    Granted, this is all second hand info, but I've seen enough first hand to know that something's not on the up and up.

My understanding is that there's generally more spectators that show up to mma events; muay thai doesn't quite have as good a following. As a result the muay thai promoters have less money to cover the same state licensing requirements.
    Still, the number is nowhere near 30K. I imagine the icmac folks are saying that because they'd need to pull in 30k to make the same amount of profits as they're used to running their backyard promotion. I mean, the NERVE of those state licensing folks to demand that promoters provide standardized equipment *gasp*.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Muay Thai is run by, gasp, people who do Muay Thai and understand it. On the East Coast, we still have issues about how close to how they do things in Thailand vs the reality of the average amateur, but the events go off and do well. The NJ commission is also excellent (NY's sux mule balls).

In the Wu Lin, we see people who have no idea what they are doing trying to do full contact fighting. You see it in the rules, in the way they say they want to judge things, in the decisions the so called "judges" make, in the ref's, and especially in the attitude towards the actual figthters

I've been sick the last 5 days, but got up to see the Master's demonstration Saturday night.