Thread: Weighted gloves

Weighted gloves

Good or bad?

I am not talking weighted gloves that have the weight around the wrist area, like wrist weights, which is obviously not good.

However, weighted gloves that put the weight in the main part of the glove, around the back of the hand, etc.

Still just as bad to wear when you hit a punching bag?
    I have a signature.

I wouldn't hit a bag or throw hard punches with anything other than a big boxing glove.Weighted striking is something not to be done with speed or force.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Question

Why is that? There are some weighted gloves out there that work on a heavy bag that weigh only 2.5 lbs each. Are they that bad for your joints compared to boxing gloves,
    I have a signature.

i have weighted bag gloves.
    to me, the only good things added weight are good for is holding your arms up and (to a lesser extent) recovery once you've thrown the punch.
    I don't find they help speed all that much - in fact I think they can take away from explosiveness, coz you get used to just grinding it out.

I think working your way down to smaller gloves can do more for power than adding weight - the theory being that as you go from say 16oz puffy gloves down to old fashioned bag mitts, your body gets used to more and more impact, while still trying to penetrate.
    See, the problem with jumping straight into bare knuckle or thin mitts is that you train yourself to subconsciously hold back.
    Use well-padded gloves and just focus on penetration first, then slowly work in the impact.

I have a similar theory with kicks - start with a very soft back and focus on penetration first, then work towards harder bags. You'll find that you're not only able to handle shin-on-shin contact, but able to blast through people's shins - without fear of pulling a corey hill.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Why is that? There are some weighted gloves out there that work on a heavy bag that weigh only 2.5 lbs each. Are they that bad for your joints compared to boxing gloves
    by Philbert

Philbert,

One can see why it is not good to do speedy exercise with weight at our limb extreme in the use of heavy shoes. The Law of Pivot states that even with light weight at the end of a rod, the force will be multiplied by several folds the ****her the end is from the pivot point. That's why such exercise is bad for our muscles and joints.

KC
    Hong Kong

Thanks for explaining it.
    I have a signature.

dumbells

I have been using dumbells for power training and sometimes for speed for punches. I've heard using any weights over 2 lbs isn't good for you. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by thelegend731 View Post
    I have been using dumbells for power training and sometimes for speed for punches. I've heard using any weights over 2 lbs isn't good for you. Is that true?
    Yes it changes the mechanics of the punch and forces you to use different muscles; dumbbells put the resistance path downwards not in a straight line forcing you to use different muscles than you would in normal punching

If you want to add resistance use cables that add resistance in the correct plane of movement