Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kagan: It's ok for Gov't to ban books - VIDEO

The Fed Gov is not authorized to be in the banning biz. Maybe they should spend their time doing what they were created to do, like providing for common defense - securing borders - regulate commerce etc. (18 specific areas), instead of playing mommy/daddy to the population and telling us what is and isn't good for us.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Bull****. Please cite examples.
    Sure.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...1&postcount=30

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65
    Vioence from the left isn't mentioned much.

The Weathermen, Saul Alinsky, the SLA, the Black Panthers, etc have openly called for violence, robbed banks, kidnapped and murdered people, and bombed the Pentagon among other things, but the press only seem to focus on the vile 'right wing extremists'.
    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...postcount=2069

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65
    But you came up with around 7 or so examples. That's cool. But 1/3 of polled Democrats expressed racist views. Those 7 are a drop in the bucket compared to 1/3.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Clearly they aren't democrats.
    That professor who murdered 3 people at the University of Alabama in Huntsville was.
    At least Christians aren't threatening to kill two guys who make funny cartoons.
    "Not as bad" means one is worse than the other. It doesn't mean one is ok.

I need to watch the video. But I'm sure they haven't beheaded anyone, or called for a country's destruction, or worn a sidearm to a UN meeting, or called for the killing of an author, or offered to pay money to suicide bombers, or flown planes into buildings, or gassed their own people. You know, things the 'peaceful' Muslims do.
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...78&postcount=2

Is this playing on people's fears any different from how the Democrats have said Republicans wanted to starve children and force senior citizens to have to eat dog food to survive?
    Can you guys show me where you have criticized Obama? I'm betting not.
    Gee, I started a whole thread.
    1bad65, you make me laugh. Dare I say it? You seem to be suffering from ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome).

"I didn't vote for him but he's my president, and I hope he does a good job." - John Wayne

Clearly you want President Obama to fail, or else you wouldn't bring up every little thing you can to try and discredit him and his Administration. You seems to be actively hoping for failure.

Perhaps you can take a lesson from The Duke.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    talking state gov. or federal gov.? because there is a difference.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post
    If you don't like the answers, don't ask the question.
    Not one of those books he listed is banned. I could get every one of them through Amazon or any bookstore.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

The law in question was McCain-Feingold. So, perhaps you should blame Congress for trying to "ban" things since Solicitor General Kagan was defending the law as written.[/URL]
    You're all over the map now.

So when I criticized Bush, you come on and say it was Congess fault? Bush signed McCain-Feingold into law, and I criticized him for it.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

So, do you agree with John McCain that the Government should be able to pass laws banning books? I mean he did pass such a law after all.
    He did?

And how did John McCain pass a law? Who voted for it in Congress? Or are you actually saying McCain passed it all by himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    The Fed Gov is not authorized to be in the banning biz. Maybe they should spend their time doing what they were created to do, like providing for common defense - securing borders - regulate commerce etc. (18 specific areas), instead of playing mommy/daddy to the population and telling us what is and isn't good for us.
    Considering all the people on here who want the Gov't to give us all "free" healthcare, control our retirements, ban guns, not secure our bordes, not defend us against terrorism, etc it's scary as hell.

I'm a very strict Consitutionalist. It's really simple, imo. The Consitution is filled with what the Government "shall not" do, but NOT ONCE does it say what The People shall not do. Not once.
    Last edited by 1bad65; 07-01-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Sure.
    Not one of those examples did I give the Republicans a pass because I said "the Democrats did it too". Not once. Now I pointed out that they did indeed do stuff the Republicans did, this is true. But nowhere did I give the Republicans a pass, which is what I specifically asked for.

Try again.

And I'm still waiting for anyone to answer if they think it's ok for the Government to ban books.

Of course we all saw RC say 'McCain did it', but he still did not give a "Yes" or "No" answer like I asked for.

Not one of those books he listed is banned. I could get every one of them through Amazon or any bookstore.
    Apparently, your reading skills have seriously atrophied.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Books Banned at One Time or Another in the United States
    1bad65, you make me laugh. Dare I say it? You seem to be suffering from ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome).

"I didn't vote for him but he's my president, and I hope he does a good job." - John Wayne

Clearly you want President Obama to fail, or else you wouldn't bring up every little thing you can to try and discredit him and his Administration. You seems to be actively hoping for failure.

You're all over the map now.

So when I criticized Bush, you come on and say it was Congess fault? Bush signed McCain-Feingold into law, and I criticized him for it.
    I'm all over the map?

You are blaming Solicitor General Kagan for doing her job in defending the law as written by Congress.
    Last edited by Reality_Check; 07-01-2010 at 08:23 AM.

He did?

And how did John McCain pass a law? Who voted for it in Congress? Or are you actually saying McCain passed it all by himself?
    Well, I think it's fairly safe to assume that he had some input on the text of the bill, as his name is on it. It's also fairly safe to assume that he voted for it, as his name is on it. So, based on that, it would be safe to infer that he believes in banning books.

And I'm still waiting for anyone to answer if they think it's ok for the Government to ban books.

Of course we all saw RC say 'McCain did it', but he still did not give a "Yes" or "No" answer like I asked for.
    Ah, but I was objecting to the whole premise of this thread. You claimed Solicitor General Kagan wants to ban books. I showed that to be untrue. As you would have been able to tell if you had in fact read the transcripts of the Citizen's United case.

So, who is seeking to ban books? Certainly not me.

You must have missed it. And the several posts that pointed out that she was not saying that the government should or could ban books. So really the whole thread is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    First, she is not saying that it's ok to ban books. She is saying, of the law in question, there is no reason to fear that it might be applied to books.

So I can not say that I agree with her, because I don't have that kind of judicial knowledge.

As to whether or not you should ban books? No, unless it’s the bible. They could do a rating system like movies and music though.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Not one of those examples did I give the Republicans a pass because I said "the Democrats did it too". Not once. Now I pointed out that they did indeed do stuff the Republicans did, this is true. But nowhere did I give the Republicans a pass, which is what I specifically asked for.

Try again.
    You said:

Instead of just saying she was wrong, you used the "but others do it too" argument. I stopped using that by the time I was a teenager.
    I clearly demonstrated that you do, in fact, use the "but others do it too" argument. So, did your teenage years just end this morning?