Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SOW CHOY training by Chuck Lidell

Blog Entries

SOW CHOY training by Chuck Lidell

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    still love the brisk commercial someone post of chuck... was pretty funny.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    nice clip, but I would say its more of a kup choi.

Does not look as powerful as a real gong fu sow choy,
    mainly because of his lack of relaxation and rooting…
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::
    Choy Lay Fut :: 四 向 門 :: Chen Taiji Quan :: Jow Gar
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::

Quote Originally Posted by Fei Li View Post
    Does not look as powerful as a real gong fu sow choy,
    mainly because of his lack of relaxation and rooting…
    gimme a break. The guy is a world champion ass kicker with tma training along with a lot of other stuff.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

He showed the same punch to the guys when he was a coach on TUF. I brought that up when one of our resident MMA experts made the claim that swinging arm strikes are not effective. That sure looks like a swinging arm to me.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

only in mma would you be caught with such a punch anywhere else i'd be ashamed to be hit by such a long swinging punch

esox and fei li....let's see the clips of you fighting other world class fighters. Don't be shy. share them with us.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

If you know the purpose of the technique, then it makes sense. If you don't, then it looks like a wide, predictable swing...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    esox and fei li....let's see the clips of you fighting other world class fighters. Don't be shy. share them with us.
    Hey you first, you'll see I had nothing of detrement to say about chuck he's one of the best at what he does, I just have to admit that I really don't get those long techniques and i'm sure he'd be the first to admit that even in mma they are of limited use

Blog Entries
    only in mma would you be caught with such a punch anywhere else i'd be ashamed to be hit by such a long swinging punch
    Sow Choy's if done right can leave you in a world of trouble. don't EVER underestimate it.

I just have to admit that I really don't get those long techniques
    if you have never trained to use the sow choy....you can only speculate about its effectiveness. however, hung gar, wing chun, and other systems that i've shown the sow choy to....or how we use our sow choy.....left them ALL with a different APPRECIATION for it. but, hey, its not your thing. its cool. I hope you never get hit with one though.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 07-01-2010 at 01:28 PM.

this thread is a GREAT example of what I was just saying in the "Reality in TCMA - MIA" thread!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    this thread is a GREAT example of what I was just saying in the "Reality in TCMA - MIA" thread!
    Sow Choy is STILL effective though. PERIOD.

If the sow choy was ineffective in combat, it would have been left out, or evolved into something else. but i know from my own experience many people don't understand it.

i'm happy i come from one of those chinatown schools. im confident in our material and how we use it.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 07-01-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Sow Choy's if done right can leave you in a world of trouble. don't EVER underestimate it.

if you have never trained to use the sow choy....you can only speculate about its effectiveness. however, hung gar, wing chun, and other systems that i've shown the sow choy to....or how we use our sow choy.....left them ALL with a different APPRECIATION for it. but, hey, its not your thing. its cool. I hope you never get hit with one though.
    Yeah I can accept that and you're right I've tried those styles and they're not for me so i'll not pretend to be knowledgeable in that area, it's just that coming from a background of styles that aim to be standing on ya toes I just wonder how those long techniques are that effective outside of competition fighting.

Blog Entries
    In the past, the sow choy has been responsible for the breakage of necks in real life combat. See, if you practice the LONG techniques long enough you'll come to know them pretty well. inside and out. you'll know that for one, there's a time to use them and a time NOT to use them. same thing goes for a kicker. a kicker would never kick you while you're fresh and able to reverse the damage on you.

There is a saying in my branch about training the long techniques to have stronger shorter ones.