Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SOW CHOY training by Chuck Lidell

Overhand rights ( or lefts) or "looping" punches have their place, as do uppercuts and shovel hooks and whatnot.
    Any technqiue that can take out world champions in VARIOUS different fighting sports, seems like a good one to have in our arsenal.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    You can't just look at a technique and say "that's dumb" without knowing anything about how it's applied.

Well...you can... wouldn't suggest it or anything, but you can...
    I think I have enough experience of combat to have formed my own opinion on these matters, I was, however attempting to show an air of politeness oft vacant on this forum

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I wouldn't say its a general technique in kenpo, I would say it might be specialized more in a certain branch or something. Not to say that it isn't seen throughout. In Kajukenbo/pai lum (off branches) etc. not as pronounced.
    also seen quite often in Tracy's/Parker's Kenpo, which were closer to the source.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

It's an overhand in boxing, sometimes called a windmill (especially when there is teh crazy windup lol) but in chinese it's a sow choy.

categories mess things up, language creates barriers, but an overhand is a good punch for getting around someone else limbs.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    It's an overhand in boxing, sometimes called a windmill (especially when there is teh crazy windup lol) but in chinese it's a sow choy.

categories mess things up, language creates barriers, but an overhand is a good punch for getting around someone else limbs.
    Uh, no.

The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by esox View Post
    I think I have enough experience of combat to have formed my own opinion on these matters, I was, however attempting to show an air of politeness oft vacant on this forum
    Not really. You could be a master of whatever, but looking at something out of your field, you'd still be lost. I make no assertions about, say, kendo, or TKD, because it isn't my field, and I don't understand the deeper reasoning behind the techniques.

Sow choi is combat proven. CLF would have gotten rid of it over a hundred years ago if it wasn't.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    nothing is ineffective if used in the right circumstance.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Don't confuse the kup choi with the sow choi...
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Not really. You could be a master of whatever, but looking at something out of your field, you'd still be lost. I make no assertions about, say, kendo, or TKD, because it isn't my field, and I don't understand the deeper reasoning behind the techniques.

Sow choi is combat proven. CLF would have gotten rid of it over a hundred years ago if it wasn't.
    right ok so we can't discuss that which we haven't fullfiled your idea of proficiancy in. end of forum.

Quote Originally Posted by esox View Post
    right ok so we can't discuss that which we haven't fullfiled your idea of proficiancy in. end of forum.
    Discuss, yes. Make solid assertions based on limited knowledge of said technique? Not so much.

ie. "That sword technique doesn't seem effective to me. Does anyone here know how it is supposed to be properly applied?" -Correct

"That sword technique is completely ineffective. If this was MMA he'd be RNC'd instantly!" -Incorrect

But it's a free country. Say what you want. Just don't get butt-hurt when someone corrects you.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    nothing is ineffective if used in the right circumstance.
    This was my first and only point, I can see this technique being effective in mma, combat sports, a bit of wushu but against a decent streetfighter,boxer, not a chance

Discuss, yes. Make solid assertions based on limited knowledge of said technique? Not so much.

ie. "That sword technique doesn't seem effective to me. Does anyone here know how it is supposed to be properly applied?" -Correct

"That sword technique is completely ineffective. If this was MMA he'd be RNC'd instantly!" -Incorrect

But it's a free country. Say what you want. Just don't get butt-hurt when someone corrects you.
    the way you say correct me says it all, I discuss, put a point accross that sort of thing but would I be so far up my own arrse to attempt to correct you nar, I don't know ya

Or you could call a CLF school and ask one of the sifus when and why the sow choi is an effective technique. Wouldn't have to visit a school or anything.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Blog Entries
    but against a decent streetfighter,boxer, not a chance
    Hey brother, i'm a street fighter. and the sow choy is one of my favorites, so i endorse the sow choy fully. the key is to know when and where.

yes, i agree with you to some extent. but when you got a streetfighter who knows gung fu, then he will beat that average everyday street fighter cause he knows what to expect.

but if you never had a fight in your life, it will be hard to prove your art or techniques work. a studio fighter only works on theory on stuff, when a street fighter will say "out on the streets i wouldn't do this or that" and he would modify it to work for him out on the streets.

all techniques are useful
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    The sifu who showed (not taught) it did not describe it as Lama Pai, where similar techniques exist. He mentioned a hybrid style and even named it, however I don't remember the actual name.

HIs "little" knowledge can be seen in his one and only post in this thread, meaning that knowing a "little" doesn't count!

However, I know for sure that Grand Master Chan Tai San knew a lot about such techniques, but then he was an authentic kung fu master.

Yes he is a glorified Kickboxer, and one can see that from his chosen profession and again, from his own shallow, pompous, not to mention, mediocre, "contribution" to the subject matter of this very thread!

Nope, you have learned techniques that David Ross teaches his students - you even said the technique was 'overwhelming' (your words) . According to you, David and his students are Glorified Kickboxers. Therefore you are a glorified kickboxer.

David Ross knows more about TCMA than you could ever hope to learn. The fact that your sifu "told you the name of the style", but you can't remember it tells a lot about your retention skills. Maybe that's one reason your Wing __un sifu disowned you?

-David
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias
    This was a case of operator error.